Help! pull start too easy and no turn over

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylpick

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
the pull start stopped turning the engine over after 1 pull and now it just pulls very easily and nothing else happens. it retracts fine, but just isn't doing anything. I don't think the engine is flooded. could it be a broken starter? not sure what is wrong. please help!

Take out the OWB (One way bearing) and clean it with denatured alcohol. Clean the shaft as well. Make sure you put the bearing back the same way it came off.
It's a buildup of oil from the fuel that's causing it to slip.

When you don't have a glow plug in there it's easy to pull but obviously the car won't start without a plug.

If you don't come across any denatured alcohol try soaking the one way bearing in some nitro fuel then wipe it clean, same with the starter shaft, on the odd chance that cleaning both parts doesn't work you may need the replace both the one way bearing, as well as the starter shaft.

What vehicle/engine is it? I know some of the old HPI OWB's had a tendency to crack, but I think that was the roto-start over heating/over working it. However, I've had that issue with mine after they sit a while. Usually the internal OWB type engines. My Traxxas engines all have the OWB outside the crank case and they don't get soaked with fuel/oil all the time, so the oil doesn't caramelize in them and cause near the slippage issues.

Back