havoc went for a swim,needs rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cozhavoc

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Few years back drove my schumacher havoc pro .26 4.6 nitro buggy into a bump on the beach lost control of it and it decided to take off for swim in sea. It got washed with warm water straight away but electric fried and the engine definitely needs a rebuild but not having much luck finding parts or info on the truck,think schumacher stopped making it.

Also the carb isnt held on like most I see on youtube with a bolt and nut,its just a bolt and its threaded flush into the carb.
The cylinder head doesn't wanna be easy either,the allen key I got with it doesn't catch any bolt in the holes in the head dunno how its held on.
Thanks

IMG_20160428_234724.jpg IMG_20160428_234743.jpg IMG_20160428_234749.jpg IMG_20160428_234757.jpg

This is the electric which need replacing anyone know good replacements

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_000122.jpg
    IMG_20160429_000122.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
It sounds like the engine is gone. If you can't find replacements, take a look at .21 (which is what they use in the newer racing buggies). You'll also need a good receiver and failsafe unit. With the newer 2.4 GHz models, it just makes sense to just upgrade everything (I prefer Spektrum and a DX4c Is about $100). You'll probably also want a couple of good servos (I had really good luck with the HiTec HS-5645MG on my X-Ray buggy). I say also go ahead and get a NiMH receiver (RX) pack while you're at it.

Few years back drove my schumacher havoc pro .26 4.6 nitro buggy into a bump on the beach lost control of it and it decided to take off for swim in sea. It got washed with warm water straight away but electric fried and the engine definitely needs a rebuild but not having much luck finding parts or info on the truck,think schumacher stopped making it.

Also the carb isnt held on like most I see on youtube with a bolt and nut,its just a bolt and its threaded flush into the carb.
The cylinder head doesn't wanna be easy either,the allen key I got with it doesn't catch any bolt in the holes in the head dunno how its held on.
Thanks

View attachment 17702 View attachment 17703 View attachment 17704 View attachment 17705

This is the electric which need replacing anyone know good replacements

If that's the engine ,that is an Ae 28 pro ,they still make that engine ,I love those engines ,they
are very easy to tune.
I have some of those parts ,including a nova race head for one,

It sounds like the engine is gone. If you can't find replacements, take a look at .21 (which is what they use in the newer racing buggies). You'll also need a good receiver and failsafe unit. With the newer 2.4 GHz models, it just makes sense to just upgrade everything (I prefer Spektrum and a DX4c Is about $100). You'll probably also want a couple of good servos (I had really good luck with the HiTec HS-5645MG on my X-Ray buggy). I say also go ahead and get a NiMH receiver (RX) pack while you're at it.
Cool ya what would the .21 engine differnce be? More torque or higher top speed? I do like this engine tho really torquey if I remember,been ages.
Any links to the parts id need for electrics,I havent a clue with the electrics bit the the engine I get as Iv two stroke dirtbikes and its a single cylinder 2 stroke engine ..just made real small

If that's the engine ,that is an Ae 28 pro ,they still make that engine ,I love those engines ,they
are very easy to tune.
I have some of those parts ,including a nova race head for one,
Thanks spent ages looking for the name and its a great engine ..would I be able to just change the cylinder,piston,conrod,crank,bearings and seal and clean out the jets and carb? Or just be better off buying another engine

Cool ya what would the .21 engine differnce be? More torque or higher top speed? I do like this engine tho really torquey if I remember,been ages.
Any links to the parts id need for electrics,I havent a clue with the electrics bit the the engine I get as Iv two stroke dirtbikes and its a single cylinder 2 stroke engine ..just made real small

Thanksspent ages looking for the name and its a great engine ..would I be able to just change the cylinder,piston,conrod,crank,bearings and seal and clean out the jets and carb? Or just be better off buying another engine

Use to be able to get those engine on e-bay for $ 89 bucks ,I should had bought another when I still
had my job!...:cry:

LRP makes really good engines. I know a lot of the guys on here rave about them.

The thing holding the carb on is a cinch bolt. There are two half moon pieces, one is threaded. When you tighten the bolt, the two pieces push towards each other and bite on the carb neck. For my money, they bite better/more evenly than the ones that are just a nut that slides half the cinch into the carb neck. They also are less likely to twist the carb a little when you snug it down.

This:
losmg3643.jpg

vs this:
DYN6080-250.jpg

That top one is nice, OS cinch. Never saw one with o-rings on it. I usually slather the thing with RTV anyway when I first get the engine.

The thing holding the carb on is a cinch bolt. There are two half moon pieces, one is threaded. When you tighten the bolt, the two pieces push towards each other and bite on the carb neck. For my money, they bite better/more evenly than the ones that are just a nut that slides half the cinch into the carb neck. They also are less likely to twist the carb a little when you snug it down.

This:
losmg3643.jpg

vs this:
DYN6080-250.jpg

That top one is nice, OS cinch. Never saw one with o-rings on it. I usually slather the thing with RTV anyway when I first get the engine.
Nice one so how do I take out the cinch bolt

You need to do a total tear down. Can you turn the engine flywheel or is it seized?

Loosen the screw a few turns and then tap on the head, this will release the threaded portion. Remove the screw and the threaded end, then through the now available whole tap the other piece out.
Thanks work perfect but what next haha
You need to do a total tear down. Can you turn the engine flywheel or is it seized?
Ya the flywheel turns the crank n piston perfect engine never seized but definetly needs afull tear down and rist cleaned probly new piston and maybe sleeve.
Normally, I back the screw out 2-3 turns, then push on the head of the screw to unlock the opposing side. Then I gently twist the carb towards the other side and it usually release enough to wiggle the carb out.
Came out exactly like this nice one

Thanks work perfect but what next haha

Ya the flywheel turns the crank n piston perfect engine never seized but definetly needs afull tear down and rist cleaned probly new piston and maybe sleeve.

Came out exactly like this nice one

All you have to do is clean & inspect the cylinder walls & piston for any major scaring with the head off.
After you do that ,put the head back on ,an a glo-plug in.Then turn the crank flywheel over by hand to see
if its got any good compression left in it.
If it does ,then you should be good ,if you don't feel any resistance or compression ,then you would be
better off to just buying a new engine.
Sometimes it cost more to rebuild then it cost to buy one!...:cool:

Ordered a air filter,glow plug,after oil,nitro fuel and a filler bottle just now hopefullt be enough get the engine going as iv the head off and it has compression and no scrathes on cylinder just your usual ignition signs. Just be using for bashing the weekend so tryna keep costs down and dont need any upgrades just enough to run properly. can't work out the electric at all could someone send on links from uk seller with the parts I need,looks like I need 2 servos a battery pack box thing has 1.5v writtin on it,a kill switch and a two channel box thing has response digital proportional radio control system on it and it open and has a electric bord thing I dunno hate electics haha

IMG_20160504_001301.jpg
IMG_20160504_001249.jpg

Last edited:
That response deal is your reciever. I don't know UK sellers, as I'm across the water. I personally really like Savox servos and I hear a lot of good things about Spektrum radios. Also hear great things about Hitec, Airtronics, and Futaba. And I would ditch that 4 AA holder for a rechargeable Hump pack.

That response deal is your reciever. I don't know UK sellers, as I'm across the water. I personally really like Savox servos and I hear a lot of good things about Spektrum radios. Also hear great things about Hitec, Airtronics, and Futaba. And I would ditch that 4 AA holder for a rechargeable Hump pack.
A rechargeable RX pack is a necessity with the Savox servos. They are current hogs and can cause brownouts on the rest of the electrics without one. I have been using Spektrum since I got back into the hobby shortly before I joined this forum and have had 0 problems with them.

You need a 6.0 volt reciever pack, not 7.2. But the others look good.