Had a few sleeves serviced by RayARacing (photo intensive)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He does not work on con rods.:(
I am pretty sure RB mods does though.

Hi Guys

I just had 3 sets made by Ray A. A .25 BP Racing, a .18 VX and a .12 SH.
He does a very nice job, and all engines are running as they were fitted with new pistons and sleeves.
Highly recommended.
Regards from Denmark
Niels

Thanks for the update on this thread. I have heard nothing but positive comments on his work. Too bad I always wear out the conrod bushings before I loose pinch! I have finally learned ifyou want to keep an engine running properly, you HAVE to change the bearings once in a while! LOL
My last two engines I retired at 4 gallons due to worn bearings and conrod bushings. I could have saved both of them with a set of bearings around the 3 gallon mark. Both of them still had compression out the ass, but the rods made them not worth rebuilding.
I am going to check with this guy to see if he can replace rod bushings.

Hey Scrog,

I'm doing some research and found your comentary to be interesting, when you talk about the bearings, how would a change of the bearings prevent you to damage your conrod? How do I know that I need a changing of my bearings, since I don't know how many gallons my engine that I got (used) have thrown it. Thanx Friend.

When bearings start to go, they don't allow the crank to run true, which puts a twist on the con-rod and eats up the bushings on the con-rod. If not taken care of quickly, the con-rod will get so out of whack that it will more than likely break, which usually destroys the piston/sleeve.

Dead on! If an engine that normally runs great all of the sudden becomes untuneable and kills plugs left and right it could very well be the bearings going bad. Of course first check for leaks. 3 gallons is about as far as you should push a set of engine bearings.
If you keep up with the front bearings every gallon or so the main bearing will last a lot longer too.

Dead on! If an engine that normally runs great all of the sudden becomes untuneable and kills plugs left and right it could very well be the bearings going bad. Of course first check for leaks. 3 gallons is about as far as you should push a set of engine bearings.
If you keep up with the front bearings every gallon or so the main bearing will last a lot longer too.
This is exactly what happened to my TRX 3.3. The engine was actually screaming for a while when it was running, I assumed the EZ start was shot, but someone suggested the reason I was popping plugs might be the bearings.....heres what I found

crank.jpg

crankcase.jpg

Yep, especially Traxxas engines! Nice carnage.

Great writeup. Thanks for the info.

Updated photo links since I can't edit the original post anymore:

Pics of the before:
2008-0315-XTM247-Mach427-SH28-SleevePiston01.jpg

2008-0315-XTM247-Mach427-SH28-SleevePiston02.jpg

XTM 24.7:
2008-0315-PistonPinchXTM247small.jpg

SH28:
2008-0315-PistonPinchSH28small.jpg

Dynamite Mach 427:
2008-0315-PistonPinchMach427small.jpg

Photo's after:

XTM 24.7:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchXTM247.jpg

Mach 427:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchMach427.jpg

SH28:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchSH28.jpg

Updated photo links since I can't edit the original post anymore:

Pics of the before:
2008-0315-XTM247-Mach427-SH28-SleevePiston01.jpg

2008-0315-XTM247-Mach427-SH28-SleevePiston02.jpg

XTM 24.7:
2008-0315-PistonPinchXTM247small.jpg

SH28:
2008-0315-PistonPinchSH28small.jpg

Dynamite Mach 427:
2008-0315-PistonPinchMach427small.jpg

Photo's after:

XTM 24.7:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchXTM247.jpg

Mach 427:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchMach427.jpg

SH28:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchSH28.jpg
7 years is a long time for a clean and service...

7 years is a long time for a clean and service...
I was only reposting to upload the images since I couldn't edit the first post. All 3 of these engines made it another gallon or so before becoming troublesome to tune again. That's when I started running LRP28's in my rigs and shortly after, so did my buddy.

Updated the first post for you as well. ;)
Thanks. Could probably get rid of the newer posts. Then again, probably doesn't matter. At least now, anyone that lands on the first page will see the photo's.

I was only reposting to upload the images since I couldn't edit the first post. All 3 of these engines made it another gallon or so before becoming troublesome to tune again. That's when I started running LRP28's in my rigs and shortly after, so did my buddy.

Thanks. Could probably get rid of the newer posts. Then again, probably doesn't matter. At least now, anyone that lands on the first page will see the photo's.
Understand that, only a joke :) Looks like he did a nice job though

Back