Got given a vintage balsa wood glider with servos- what else do I need!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninnon

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello, I am mostly a nitro rc enthusiast but have been given a handmade vintage rc glider, It has 2 servos (untested, rudder and the other thing on back, no wing flappers) And have tested that they are connected, both servos turn and they connect and the flappers move fine. It also has Power switch. Basically I want to know what else I will need. As far as I know a 2 channel receiver and a remote and and engine or motor (3 channel and battery needed then). I am not interested in performance just basic use. As you may have figured out I know nothing about planes as of my use of the word "flappers"

Kind regards- Harvey.

Rudder, that upright thingamajig that steers it left or right.
Elevator, that flat thingy on the tail that makes the plane go up and down.
Ailerons, those flappy thingies on the wingies that make it bank side to side.

You need a tow plane to get aloft.
If you don't have a flying field near you look into a bungee catapult or climb to the top of a very tall building and throw it.

Rudder, that upright thingamajig that steers it left or right.
Elevator, that flat thingy on the tail that makes the plane go up and down.
Ailerons, those flappy thingies on the wingies that make it bank side to side.

You need a tow plane to get aloft.
If you don't have a flying field near you look into a bungee catapult or climb to the top of a very tall building and throw it.
So could I not attach an engine or motor to get it in the air?

There are electric units that will rise out of the cockpit for takeoffs and then close themselves in for sailing.
There are also units that will mount on the nose with collapsible props that fold back when they are off.
You'll need to maintain the proper balance of the plane while adding the additional weight of the motor, battery and esc.

There are electric units that will rise out of the cockpit for takeoffs and then close themselves in for sailing.
There are also units that will mount on the nose with collapsible props that fold back when they are off.
You'll need to maintain the proper balance of the plane while adding the additional weight of the motor, battery and esc.
In the end I decided that it was to old to use (about 15 years) Somebody has spent hours making it and it is very weak and unbalanced. I think I am going to have a go at making my own. What foam would you recommend?

@ninnon, this thread got lost a while back. Just came across it and thought I'd drop a link for some great kits.
http://www.soaringusa.com/RC-Sailplanes/
Forgot I posted this thread...lol- thanks for the help but I decided to give it to a friend- He has done it up and I've seen him fly it. I had a go and decided that it was more boring than fishing, nitro is much better :p I know a lot more now about electric rc since my brother bought one :)

Okay. Agreed. Sailplanes are for guys in lawn chairs. Nitro planes will make you happy. Nitro helis will make you sweat.

Okay. Agreed. Sailplanes are for guys in lawn chairs. Nitro planes will make you happy. Nitro helis will make you sweat.
Yes- and if your lucky they might decapitate you :p

What about gas turbine RC helis, @Rolex?
Don't trust him with anything that Involves a get engine, he'll try and wax the impellers whilst its running full pelt...and whilst wrapped in a garden lawn chair...

Don't trust him with anything that Involves a get engine, he'll try and wax the impellers whilst its running full pelt...and whilst wrapped in a garden lawn chair...
And wearing no pants....

But no pants and there are spinning blades and other sharp things...
Who knows what he'd try and do with the jet engine- with all them "spinny things"

But I'm wearing the lawn chair...
I don't think a lawn chair is much use against a 3 foot helicopter coming at you at 30mph.

With the blade tips being in the trans-sonic range....