Got a new engine for my savage, LRP ZR.30

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, after fighting and fighting one of my LRP 28S3's, I finally called it quits and ordered a new engine. History of that is here: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/alternate-carb-for-a-lrp-28-s3.85277/

New engines always look nice when you open the box and this one was no different. Cooling head has an extra fin over the 28 and the crank case is considerably re-enforced with gussets and extra material.
2016-0428-LRP-28%20and%2030%20side.jpg

As with any new engine, the first thing I do is take it all apart to inspect for loose shavings, proper assembly and sealing with RTV. When removing the head, I nearly broke my 3mm wrench as the bolts were so tight that they popped when they broke loose. Every one of them. I was affraid that the first thing that would happen before I even ran it was a bolt would snap off in the block. Luckily, they all came loose. Upon removing the starter housing, I don't know what I did as I'm usually pretty careful to avoid unwinding the recoil spring, but as soon as I released the last screw, BOING! Snarled mess. I moved that to the side to rewind later. Then when I went to remove the backplate screws, two of them weren't even finger tight.
2016-0428-LRP-30-LooseScrews.jpg

Then I took the plate off and inspected the internals. One of the cleanest engines I've ever bought. I ran a cotton swab around inside all the recesses I could reach and removed only a very small amount of aluminum dust. After a few drops of ARO on the bearings, OWB, conrod, wrist pin and sleeve I procceded to RTV up the carb and backplate.

Before sealing the carb, I took a couple photo's of it next to the 28's carb. The carb neck is about 1mm larger in diameter:
2016-0428-LRP-28%20and%2030%20carb%20neck%20compare.jpg

The venturi is pretty similar:
2016-0428-LRP-28%20and%2030%20carb%20throat%20compare.jpg

The carb itself is a bit more bulky than the 28's. Not sure why. The HSN/LSN were way off. Per the book, HSN should be 2.75 turns and LSN should be 2.25. They were 4.5 and 3.5 respectively. I set them to 3.25 and 2.75. Figured a hair more rich would be best. The HSN recommended setting seems pretty lean to me anyway, but time will tell.

2016-0428-LRP-28%20and%2030%20rear.jpg

One thing I did notice was that the sleeve on the exhaust port for the 30 hangs down about 1.5mm further than the crank case is:
2016-0428-LRP-30%20exhaust%20port.jpg

The 28 exhaust port is flush with the case:
2016-0428-LRP-28%20exhaust%20port.jpg

Hopefully that's how it's supposed to be.

I rewound the recoil spring and put that back together then installed the flywheel/shoes/bearings/cb from the 28. Sticking with 17/49 gearing for now as that was a pretty good fit for the 28 when it ran somewhat ok.

Not sure when I'll start break-in. Temps around here don't look like they are going to get above 60 the rest of the week/weekend. If ti does get to 60 and doesn't rain... I might throw a hand warmer or two around the head and get started on it anyway.

Here's to hoping I didn't just get another aggravating engine!

2016-0428-LRP-30%20in%20savage.jpg

Thanks for that last pic, olds. I wondered how the chevron and Geodes would look. (Derail I know) let us know how it does. I'm intrigued

I got a zr30x. It doesn't have a pull start, but one from the other lrp motors will fit right in it.

Haven't got to use it much. I need shims for the clutch.

Well, started the break-in today. Left the original tank/fuel line/primer bulb on it for the first attempt. The LRP fired right up, but was severely lean. Even with the needles both 1/2 turn more than factory. I richened up the HSN a ton just to get through a few heat cycles on the first tank. It was acting exactly like the 28 was. Lean bog really bad, stalling repeatedly, blubbery one minute, lean the next. I know this was the first tank and it's usually pretty rough, but it was sounding and acting exactly like the other engine.

So, after getting through 3 heat cycles (1 tank), I packed it up and went home. Ripped off the tank, lines and primer bulb, then installed a brand new tank with HPI's supplied fuel line only. I did not reinstall the primer.

Took it back out again after resetting the needles to be 1/2 turn over factory (they were 2+ turns richer after fiddling with the first tank). Fired it up and it ran pretty good. Let it warm up, but it was blubbery rich, so I leaned it a bit so I could at least get the RPM's up enough to move the truck. Ran through 6 more heat cycles (2 more tanks), then ran out of my newly mixed odonnels (50/50 20% and 30% racing series (8% synthetic oil only) fuel to get 25%) and put in a tank of my old mix as all I had left was one 500cc bottle. It was the same ratio, but one gallon was race (8% synthetic) and one gallon was sport (8% synthetic/castor blend). Then it started running really poorly. Wandering idle really bad, stalling frequently, high revving off throttle... I suffered through the tank the poured the rest near a fence post. Went home and got another bottle of the 8% synthetic mix. Only had time to run 2 more tanks before the rain hit. I ran 1000cc's total today.

I had been slowly leaning the needles since tank 4. Up to that point, I was adjusting so it ran cool (around 210F). By the time I got to the 6th tank, I had a pretty snappy tune and the truck was like driving a jumping bean. Every time I touched the throttle when sitting still or coasting in first gear, it would slam up a wheelie. Towards the end of tank 6, I was a little quicker with ramping up to WOT. In the grass, I got a few 2nd gear wheelies that came up out of nowhere, one of which caught me off guard and I put a ding in my new engines head as it cartwheeled out of the grass and onto pavement.

So far, it seems my issues may have not been the engine, but rather something either in the tank or primer hampering fuel flow.

Hoping it warms up and dries up a bit by next weekend so I can get to the park before parents/kids get there so I can really start having some fun. To top it all off, I only got one tiny blister from all the starting. It showed up during tank 1 with the bad tank.

I've always hated the primer bulbs, @olds97_lss. Every one that I've had leaked so I just got rid of them and held my finger over the exhaust stinger and cranked a couple of times to prime. To me it's just another point of failure, although, I do run an extra fuel filter external to the fuel tank. Go figure...

I've always hated the primer bulbs, @olds97_lss. Every one that I've had leaked so I just got rid of them and held my finger over the exhaust stinger and cranked a couple of times to prime. To me it's just another point of failure, although, I do run an extra fuel filter external to the fuel tank. Go figure...
Well, I never had bad luck with the associated primer bulb until possibly now. Have had them on all my rigs for many years without leaking or clogging.

Well, finally found time to run more fuel through the 30... what an abysmal day. To recap, engine has around 1500cc's through it, new HPI savage X tank, new fuel lines, sealed engine.

Starting was a pain. Once it finally fired up, it was so pig rich it couldn't hardly move. I had to lean the HSN almost a full turn after trying to get it to warm up. Then it seemed ok, but still had a rich bog at WOT. Tank 1 today was a pain. Lots of stalling, weird exhaust note, bad performance... and it just got worse. By the time I finished off 500cc's of fuel, I had reset the engine back to factory 3 times and had to richen both the LSN/HSN at least one full turn due to seeing temps north of 300F. I ended up with it very rich and running like crap, then the tank was almost empty and it stalled, then I threw it in my car and came home before I set fire to it.

I'm ditching the HPI tank... not sure what I'm going to use in it's place, but probably an OFNA 125cc tank I found that is close to the shape of the old OFNA 125cc tank I had. I have a feeling ti is either the damn tank, or my fuel. THe fuel is fairly new, but the LHS I got it at doesn't seem to have a high throughput of nitro rigs and/or fuel. Luckilly, I have 2 gallons of it... lol. Probably goign to just bite the bullet and order 4 gallons of byrons 2500 that I've used for years from amain for $160.

At this point... brushless is looking better and better. lol

What a bummer, man. Hey if you're that down, I'll swap you a Mamba Monster and 2200kv motor. Lmao! You'll get it sorted, I'm sure.

If you're looking for a good home for that Mamba Max and motor, I'll make sure it gets used, @Rooky78...

Ran about 1000cc's through it yesterday. First couple of tanks were unpleasant, but after I got the tune right and change the glow plug... the thing was an animal. Busted my rear center cvd pin twice. Both times when it shifted into second gear. A front wheel drive savage isn't much fun. By the time I came home, I was running around 210F consistently and I installed the primer bulb back in it. It was running pretty good, but I wanted to try one of the medium plugs I usually run in the 28 and it made things even better.

I had an instance where it wouldn't open up without leaning out and stalling. Found that my fuel line was being pinched by the bumper holder as I lost the big plastic c-clip that holds it in place. The line got down by the holder and when I hit a wheelie, it pushed the holder back in and pinched the line on me. Also, got a big rock jammed in between the spur and tvp. Was clipping along in 2nd gear and all of the sudden, it just stalled. I was afraid the engine grenaded on me. Just a stupid rock. Fired right back up afterward. Other than that, the pinched line and the cvd, it was a good 3 hours. Finally.

Glad to hear you're finally having a good time.

This is pretty old, but I haven't changed my savage much since this. Haven't run it much either since I started running electric.

The tank I'm running now is the OFNA 1907 125cc buggy tank:
2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank-Combined.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm running stock HPI savage alloy shoes with whatever springs they came with. It was a clutch I got off ebay in a parted out savage XL.

Video where I tried gearing up a bit, 18/47. It was too tall for where I run and caused it to bog pretty bad:

Changed it back to 17/47:

Back