Flooding

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinehyperlite

Original RCNT Nutswinger
Supporter
Police
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Havent seen too much about it in the national news, but I'm sure most on here have heard about the flooding down here in south Louisiana. The wife, the dogs and I are all ok, but our home is a total loss after we took 3-4 feet of water inside. Very little prep time as I was at work and only had about an hour between the time i got home and the water breached the threshold and began to fill the house. My back yard took in close to 9 feet of water. We were able to get the motorcycles and vehicles moved out before the high water came.

Scary feeling losing everything you have busted your ass for. Time to start over.

Before pic of my back yard:

1946FE7E-F848-46BC-80A9-183872507191_zpsqzcpxo9m.png

The last time i was able to walk in before having to boat in:

E46E2B9F-94E2-42FE-9AE4-50CAB0EB9290_zpspimdedq9.jpg

In this one if you look just to the left of center, you can see the top of my neighbors 8 ft tall privacy fence.

D92425B0-B0DB-48DE-9CC8-45C1F2BD7D00_zpsp9x4mzhf.jpg

And just for before reference of the above pic:

E3E65D9F-BA4A-463B-8AC7-2E0E370DD0AB_zpswxxhhtxu.png

The front of the house took another 8-10 inches after this was taken:

345C6403-96E6-48A0-B501-A617A4C70640_zps0mxwzvpn.jpg

DB18337F-2402-4034-A2BD-B120FBDCCEA2_zpsajq39ejd.jpg

Damn. Good to hear you guys are alright. Everything else can be replaced.

Yea. Its just been a REALLY poopy couple of months around here.

Glad to hear you are all safe! I have experienced the flooding first hand. Thankfully it wasn't in the living space but the basement filled to the point that the fridge was lifted up and put back down Sideways. Def scary knowing all the efforts (i was home running pumps and doing EVERYTHING I could do to save the ship!) are for not as the water is now pouring in thru the basement door! Very sorry about your house! I hope the recovery/rebuild process goes quickly and smoothly for you!!!

yeah not sure Id heard anything about flooding, thats horrible! Is it just a waiting game for things to dry out before you start rebuilding? Glad you guys are ok bro, thats just scary.

can't do anything until the adjuster comes to look at it and stroke me a check. Then I'm handing everything off to the contractors.

I'm sure you are well aware of the scam artist contractors... They seem to appear wherever there is a disaster. They will happily take your check and disappear! Be sure to check references etc!
Again, I hope that this part goes smoothly and in a timely manner. I'm sure your insurance co doesn't want you in a hotel for any longer than you have to be. They don't like paying out for things like that!
Best wishes!

Glad to hear you and the wife got out okay. I did find it odd that the news has done very little reporting about it. In fact Twitter was the first place I heard about it, local news here didn't even have a mention of it.

Did you have flood insurance?

I feel for ya, @alpinehyperlite. I was flooded out of my home quite a while back and it's never fun. Glad you and yours are safe.

That's unbelievable! I had read about flooding in the Baton Rouge area but I figured I didn't need to ask since you hadn't mentioned anything.
Damn, man, that's brutal.

So sorry about your loss, but it's great you guys got out safe. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Sorry for your lose, glad everyone's safe

Things arent going very well. Almost all of my furniture was destroyed, and the flood insurance found a loophole in the contract so they only have to cover structural damage. They dont include my enclosed porch as "structural" and it is completely destroyed and removing it will destroy the entire roofline along that side of the house, which in turn will require an entire roof replacement, and you guessed it, that isnt included as structural damage caused by the flood, because it was caused by the flooding of a non covered portion of the house. None of my furniture (nor appliances that were all drowned out) are going to be covered. Estimated cost out of pocket........... $78,000 to get back where I was just 48 hrs ago. It is the worst feeling in the world dumping everything you have worked your entire life for into a dumpster due to water damage. Sorry for the rant, but this is the worst i have ever felt in my entire life.

I'm very sorry to hear about that too. I don't know if it would make sense to contact a lawyer at this point or if this loophole is clearly apparent and you agree with it. Usually you can get a consultaion for free. Imo, it's worth a shot. I couldn't even get flood insurance because our property was too close to the water... (ummmm, why do you suppose I'm looking for insurance???) I feel your pain. I wish I had more to offer you.
Def rant away tho! You've earned it!

It's clearly in their favor. No denying it.

That really sucks. I wish I had something more or better to tell you.

I don't see how they can say that a porch that supports your roof isn't a structural portion of the house.

Separate roof on the porch. It is just perminantly bonded to the houses roof through bracing, screws, and copious amounts of adhesives/sealant.

Wow. I don't know. It may be just grabbing at straws but I would still probably give a lawyer a try... What's an hour of time going to cost you at this point? Maybe they tell you they have seen this before and there is a way you can get some more coverage, maybe they tell you you're in the same spot you're in right now. Its gotta be worth a shot. Nothing to lose, only to gain. I know you're in a bad way right now and it's got you down hard. I understand completely but don't let this defeat you. You gotta try... Just my thoughts.
I do wish you the best.

Dang Bro.I'm sorry to hear of all your misfortune there. I've been hearing some on our local news about flooding down that way but since I haven't been really doing a lot on this forum lately,it didn't cross my mind that you could be one of the people affected. Then after everything insurance companies do to get you to buy policies they then work overtime to find ways to get out of paying for losses. Just adds insult to injury. Any word if you'll be able to apply for some assistance from FEMA?

I'm not sure what it could be,but if there is anyway I can help you out,please let me know.

Back