First boat. What to do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey fellas. I took Chase to MY favorite store today to spend some money he got for Christmas. He picked out Don't Break the Ice game :thumbup: and to my surprise he actually showed some interest in the boats. I looked at a couple but he liked the small Proboat Mini-V so add that to his gift list :) We have a nice little lake here in our neighborhood and it's sort of in a valley so it stays pretty calm all the time. I doubt it's iced up yet so maybe we can make some waves this weekend if it's not too cold. I've never had a boat before. Is there anything I need to do or check on this thing before we send it afloat?

Last edited:
Give it a good look over, make sure all the seals are in place, read the manual lol, there may be some good info in there. Before hitting the water do a range test, make sure the range is good and there is no interference. Take a fishing rod and a rubber ball with you, if it happens to flip you can cast over it and pull it back to shore. Wear rubber boots, that way you don't have to come too close to shore and risk damaging the prop. Last but not least, have fun together, boats are a blast!

Ahhh right.. fishing rod. Don't have one of those. I got some fishing line though :) I'll rig up something just in case.

If you don't have a fishing pool you can always use a little 2 person raft if you have one, that is what my buddy used to use when he took his boats to the lake...Have fun with it..

Test it thoroughly in the bathtub. Just make sure you wear a cup.

OMFG LMAO!!! Was that comment from experience?

"In tub with boat" :D
"In tub with boat at full throttle" :whhooo:

Just make sure you wear a cup.

HA! I'll keep that in mind :)

Where's the pics?!?! Slacker! :p:

My bad :) It's a cute little thing (I know, I know.. "That's what she said"...). I'm kinda glad he liked this small one since Proboat has a pretty decent reputation. I'd sooner buy a Proboat than an aquacraft. I used to want one of those Aquacraft V-One Design boats cuz they're just sick lookin' but I've read there were a number of little issues you had to watch.

20100101_2170.gif

Last edited:
if you can, stand on the down wind part of the lake. if it does die on you the wind will eventually float it back to you. that is if you dont want to swim.

when i had mine, i upgraded to a water cooled setup, and added a skeg. I'm not sure what all is available for the little guy.

Nice,you guys should get a lot of fun out of it. I keep watching/wanting a Blackjack nitro by ProBoat that's for sale. Only $50 but I just don't have any water around me.

I can't decide what I want to get for myself. Although I've always wanted a nitro or gas boat I would rather play nice with the neighborhood. Our little lake is surrounded by homes so I'd prefer electric in something I'm just gonna take my boy down to the lake with. I'm on the fence whether I should go with a brushless boat that is a little larger or picking up the catamaran version of this little bugger and converting it to brushless. That would be a fun build I think.

Catamaran and brushless?!? Didn't Rolex start one of those a while back???? I guess he must be dusting and polishing it when he's done with his Savage......

Back