erratic performance?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarCraft

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so took the revo out yesterday and drove around for about half a tank half throttleish to warm it up then started to tune. got a great tune front tires barely sitting on the ground at full throttle, got about a tank or two in and noticed my smoke trail just totally dissappereaing then coming back again. happened at both 1/4 all the way to full throttle would just show up randomly through the full throttle range. played with the needles and still had the same issue. the engine only has about a gallon through it. has a fresh plug and using traxxas 20% still have aother unopened gallon of it so I'm gunna prob be finishing out the seaso with traxx 20%.

i pulled the engine and didnt see any leaks as i havent taken anything but the easy start off since i bought it, so i checked there the o ring seemed good and i re tightened with cross pattern. dont have iphone for telemerty or a ir gun yet. any ideas to what may be going on? P.S it idles primes and starts like its on its maiden voyage after break in. "also cranked the flywheel by hand had some good resistance to it.

forgot to add after that day i noticed all this going on i had a small slit in my air intake tube by the spur from a previous crash that i didnt realize i had till after this run i mentioned. i ran it liek this maybe 2-3 tanks could that be the cause aka air leak there or is there crap in the carb now that has to be cleaned out.

Sounds like an air leak for sure

it would bog way down when the trail would vanish and wouldnt hit second, when it had a good trail performance was good and would hit second. if anything the rpm goes down when it loses the trail. so to sum it up trail gives me great power, then it suddenly loses the trail and plateau's out in terms of power then the trail comes back and it picks up power again.

If it becomes too lean it will loose power like you are saying, I would tend to agree with the rest of the of guys .
get yourself some copper rtv and seal the backplate and carb neck and while you are at it I would get either some green slime grease or dielectric grease pull your needles and give the orings a light coat and reset them and go from there

UPDATE: new air filter tube installed yesterday, holds tune and runs like a champ. the slit on the old tube that got nicked by the spur during a bad landing was causing the erratic performance. also found out that the front bearing is supposed to leak a small amount as it is a self lubricating bearing and uses the oils in the fuel. if you have ALOT of unburnt fuel coming from behind the flywheel then the front bearing is bad and leaking excessive, but a small amount being slung around is ok. again thanks for the input guys!