engine for savage x SS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
its that time to get a new engine, i'm running a 2 speed tranny with reverse

so i have a fairly healthy budget but don't want to spend too much

so far i have been offered an unused thunder tiger pro 28 from a friend ( converting to brushless so not ran ) for £75

i have been personally looking at the LRP .28R and the .30R also the .32 but was thinking middle of the road at the .30r for £140
i was also looking at ofna/force .32 & .36 engines the .36 for £120 give or take a bit

i want something that will last and be powerful enough to run my 52/19 gearing

also could do with a exhaust recommendation for said engines, as I'm currently running a generic 3 chamber exhaust

preferably would like to spend no more than £150 for an engine

I have no first hand experience with the LRP .30X (comp model) or .32, but I have plans for the .30X in the near future in my own truck.

I read that some have had an issue holding a tune with the .32, some don't.

Reviews are generally positive for the .30X and its only rated at like .15 less hp it also turns a little over 5k more RPM than the .32 so gearing for gearing, the .30 should be a little faster up top. The .30X requires a backplate swap if one wants a pull start in lieu roto, where the regular .30 and .32 include a pull starter. Just something to ponder.

I have a lrp 32 with a 086 pipe in my xl. Very happy after I ditched the stock fuel tank in place of a buggy tank and custom bracket. I did however need to locktite the needles.

so far i got a brand new thunder tiger pro 28 thats tight as hell so having issues getting it started for break in

i am preheating it but will try again later
the manual for the TT pro .28 is bit annoying anyone have the base settings to run the engine in with

the manual states 3/3.5 turns out on high speed needle and has no info on low speed needle so i haven't touched it touched it

I'm going to use the heat cycle method to break in the engine and due to it being cold the first few tanks are being done indoors ( exhaust piped out a open window )

i also have a rebuild kit on its way for my 6 port force 28 (piston / sleeve / conrod / new head button/ cooling head) for a grand total of $60/£35 give or take

Have you tried starting it w/o this exhaust pipe?

How long and what diameter is this pipe that is venting the exhaust outside? If it were too long/too small it could be causing a great amount of restriction, more than the engine can overcome. Some say even the small exhaust deflectors cause negative effects and require tuning caused by the increased stinger length.

That said, I have personally ran the exhaust under a garage door using a short section (less than 1ft) section of automotive heater hose and adapted one end down to the size of the stinger with a smaller piece of hose and ran the car close (again less than 1ft). This way, the exhaust is venting into a chamber that leads outside, rather than requiring the engine to pump the exhaust down additional piping.

I'm not familiar with that engine, but ill poke around and see what I find about base settings.

Have you tried starting it w/o this exhaust pipe?

How long and what diameter is this pipe that is venting the exhaust outside? If it were too long/too small it could be causing a great amount of restriction, more than the engine can overcome. Some say even the small exhaust deflectors cause negative effects and require tuning caused by the increased stinger length.

That said, I have personally ran the exhaust under a garage door using a short section (less than 1ft) section of automotive heater hose and adapted one end down to the size of the stinger with a smaller piece of hose and ran the car close (again less than 1ft). This way, the exhaust is venting into a chamber that leads outside, rather than requiring the engine to pump the exhaust down additional piping.

I'm not familiar with that engine, but ill poke around and see what I find about base settings.

I'm abandoning the hose for now i can get it started but it cuts out almost immediately it will get there though

And I'm sure you already tried opening the carb a little? With a little trim maybe?

that i have its slowly getting there, i can get it started now for a few seconds with the carb open a little wider,

i think the manual is off so will do another google search

What type of terrain do you run in and what tires do you use typically?

I've been running the LRP28S3 in my revo, savage x and aftershock when I had it for many years. Great little engine once you get it broken in, but a bit temperamental until a gallon or so is through it. I run 47/16 on the savage, would be pretty close to your ratio if I had 47/17. Had to get the steel spur though because whenever I tried to run plastic, it would run ok for about half a tank, then start slipping and melt center of the spur. I use t-maxx 3.3 wide rims/tires on it and it does really well. Wheelies on demand, but still pretty fast out in the open.

I've had a picco 28 in a drawer for probably 3 years... maybe more, that I never used. Still nice knowing I have it there for when one of my LRP's dies... if they ever do.

i generally run on everything,

i just rebuilt my force .28 and picked up the thunder tiger pro 28,

I'm already running steel spur gears, I'm going to be putting the force engine back in and i think I'm going to sell the thunder tiger engine

i dont blame you for selling the thunder tiger engine, its about the same as the force engine your rebuilding, if your going to get a new engine id say get the lrp z.28 r spec 3,

the thunder tiger engine is now gone, sold it on ebay about a week ago

the piston and sleeve, and new button head and cooling head turned up from the states so I'm now breaking in the trusty force .28 engine
and although not pictured a new pull start has been fitted
also my spare carb has been fitted shown in the last pics

she will be running the same gearing 19/49, the crank case looks dirty in the pics but was cleaned after with dry tissue paper

IMG_0549[1].JPG
IMG_0547[2].JPG
IMG_0548[1].JPG

View attachment 15333View attachment 15331 View attachment 15332

nice 1, that force .28 is a sweet engine, keep us updated on how the running in goes

happy savaging

Back