difference between km baja and hpi baja

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokeitagain

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay guys sorry I've been out of the hobby for a bit but I'm gettin back in with summer. My question is what is the difference between the king motors baja 5b and the hpi 5b.

Please note this is not in regards to buying one but rather a trade. I've got a deal worked out to get one of each from a guy this weekend and I want to know how can I tell the difference between an hpi product vs the king motor product, to assure I'm not getting two clones. Also note both have hpi bodies on them so I can't tell by the body. Are there differences in anything I can easily spot chassis wise, or do I just have to hope for the best?

Additional notes one (hpi) has 23cc motor other (clone km) has a 26cc motor. Purple aluminum on the clone as well for shock caps and other parts but silver chassis plate. The hpi one has silver al on shock caps etc haven't seen under the body of it yet though for the chassis color. Both have black wings and baja tires, aftermarket exhaust, n looks like plastic control arms. And one last note the hpi one has hpi servo for gas/ brake but he says the hpi steering servo broke so he put the km one on it to run it, the km one needs a steering servo but has a km throttle servo. So any advice or roll the dice n enjoy the outcome either way? Thanks.

I dont own one, but here's what I know of them. HPI plastics tend to have more of a matte black look to them where as the clones (rovan, KM, so on) have a shiner plastics. Be aware though that most HPI parts will fit right on to the clones so the parts may have been swapped. The brand of motor is different. Brand of stock tires are different, HPIs say HPI on them. The shocks on the clones are supposed to be pretty cheesy but every video I've seen of the suspension being pushed up and down and jumping all seem like the work fine. The best way of spotting a fake is to find a devoted HPI owner and hold the car in front of them, if their nose instantly turns towards the sky and you get berated then your holding a clone. :) (sorry had to poke a little fun)

I'd say roll the dice...Today was my first day running my newly acquired HPI Baja and I must say these things are freaking awesome...So much better than nitro! As far as getting both, well beef up the HPI and use the KM as spare parts. Either way you look at it (or atleast the way I see it) most of the parts you upgrade on these things are gonna be weak points in a cheap one or an expensive one. I.E. A-Arms, shock tower braces, bulkhead areas, servos and motor if you want.

Back