Bigger is BETTER (The Sequel)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Yup, here's volume 2 of the Giant Humm Vee builds. Here's the first one: Size MATTERS
That's the big 1/5 scale square back MP truck and the new one is going to be the slant back.

The body has arrived and been through a lot of body work, already. The short slayer A-arms just got here today. Still in the mail is the front and rear Revo suspension and a set of Mil=spec tires for the alloy Humm-Vee wheels.
Here we go.

This is what I got from eBay. It took months of searching to find another one of these bodies. Nothing out there but the H2 soccer mom Hummers. These are the big, bad Humm Vee H1s. It had a broken roof rack, ripped rear tires, no radio but it had the beautiful body I was looking for. $25 and another 25 shipping. The roof rack has already been removed and the square back is coming off.

DSCN2179.jpg

DSCN2185.jpg

DSCN2186.jpg

DSCN2189.jpg

DSCN2190.jpg

DSCN2197.jpg

Stay tuned. Some major reconstruction coming up.

Last edited:
Your off to a nice start, I hope you continue to post the step by step process.

Fast back?
Okay, here's the progress over the last couple of days...

Got the framework trimmed and here it is with cardboard templates.
003.jpg

Here are the Polystyrene panels tacked into place
006.jpg

Now they're epoxied in.
007.jpg

Here's the first application of body filler to be planed and sanded into shape
010.jpg

012.jpg

First coat sanded and shaped. It's starting to look mean. The taxicab yellow has to go.
015.jpg

Last edited:
Last night's work...
First coat of black primer. Still soaking wet, here...
019.jpg

Some areas still needing spot putty prior to the last primer coat
DSCN2249.jpg

Had to hide the seam where the old square box back started
024.jpg

Gettin' there...
DSCN2247.jpg

Measured and marked and ready to cut out the rear door panel...
DSCN2254.jpg

Brand new Dremel saw ready for its first job.
DSCN2255.jpg

Looks great! Your modeling skills are fantastic (notice I didn't say the A word your thread I'll respect that).
One question, is that a miniature scale planer? I imagine that's for airplane kits?

the dremel Sawmax is an AMAZING tool I bought the rotozip version a few months ago for some counter work one of the best tools ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I NEVER expected that much torque and RPM from a hand held tool. It was actually MAJOR overkill for what I needed. I also thought it was variable speed. No complaints, though. Absolutely worth the money.

@wacmartin I have a couple of hobby planes that are plastic and use single edge blades, but this one with the heavy steel and narrow blade puts them all to shame.

I just got back from the Art Supply and the Hardware store. The next step is the working rear hatch.

Did you edit my post earlier Rolex I thought I had your favorite word in there earlier. :D The variable speed in the rotozip was a nice feature it kept me from blowing saw dust all over the kitchen.

Did you edit my post earlier Rolex I thought I had your favorite word in there earlier.
Did I WHAT? WHAT? Who, ME? WHAT? :rolleyes::p

I wish this saw was a variable speed. It got away from me when I cut the hatch. I lost about 1/4" of styrene when it torqued out on me.
I had to put beams on the inside, anyway, so I was able to square it up and bondo it.

Here it is after making the cut out.
DSCN2256.jpg

It got away from me, but since I needed to add support after cutting it out I was able to salvage it with some filler.
DSCN2257.jpg

The right side came clean since I knew what to expect from the torque twist.
DSCN2262.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

Now the rear is framed out and I have to frame the hatch for support.

Finally, all those days of picking away for hours on this hatchback are starting to pay off.
DSCN2266.jpg

I had forgotten to epoxy the inside of the hatch door when I removed it and the back broke off since there was nothing holding it except the Bondo on the outside. Had to line up the parts to fix that and lost another 2 hours.
DSCN2268.jpg

DSCN2270.jpg

Epoxied and filled the outside, then epoxied the inside.
DSCN2271.jpg

Cut the notch for the lift handle.
DSCN2275.jpg

Trimmed the lid
DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2283.jpg

DSCN2289.jpg

What are you going to use for weather stripping to keep the dust out? lol

That's some very nice work, it's looking great!

The tires arrived about half an hour ago. RC4WD Mil-Spec 2.2. I think they will look just perfect for this build.
DSCN2301.jpg

What's THIS, you ask? Why, it's a riveting gun. Decide what size comb you need and how close you want the rivets, then cut out the ones you don't want.
DSCN2291.jpg

In a paper plate pour some Elmer's Glue-all. I prefer the wood tinted carpenter's glue since it's slightly thicker. Dip the comb's teeth in the puddle of glue and start riveting.
DSCN2292.jpg

When it dries, it dries clear and can be painted over. There is also some shrinkage. If a few mess up, just wipe them off while they're still wet and do it again.
DSCN2293.jpg

DSCN2294.jpg

I'm pretty much done with the hatch so I'll protect it from fingerprints soaking into the primer by giving it one mist coat.
DSCN2295.jpg

Rear hatch got its handle
DSCN2296.jpg

Handle down....
DSCN2299.jpg

Handle up..... Of course it works. How else would you open it to get at the switches that will be mounted inside?
DSCN2298.jpg

Last edited:
Back