baja 30.5cc big bore kit

• Thread starter goaliemanmatt55
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaliemanmatt55

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was looking in to getting the big bore kit for the baja 5b and i was wondering how reliable it was, and how difficult installation is? Thanks

It's easy to install; all you do is take the engine out and switch heads/pistons.

As far as I know the reliability is the same.

Bore kits aren't a quick and easy job.
Get someone experienced to do it for you as you dont want to mess it up.
I've bored out pit bike motors, you gotta do it properly.

Although they may be different to pitty engines.

bore kits ARE simple and easy jobs.. i'll get to your kit soon. a standard bore kit installes with simpley removing the 2 head bolts, carb, pipe and ignition. piston comes out with 2 c-clips. make sure the arrow on the piston is facing the exhoust side.. install gaskit and bolt back on. dont even have to take the motor out. the hole process should take about 45minutes if you take your time.. the 30.5 is diffrent. you have to replace the crank shaft. so you need to pull the mill and split the case. not a big deal, couple extra screws. while your in their you mite as well replace the crappy cy bearings. keep in mind that you will lose top end with a 30.5. higher displacement, less rpm's. you can easly compinsate with gearing. you will also need to get some more cash up to replace a good amount of the driveline if its still stock(ss). the other thing i dont like about the 30.5 is you need to stack gaskits or the piston will knock the head. its kind of a "chinsy" way of doing it. unless your getting an esp modded headkit. he fixes that problem. i ran (1) 30.5 and wasn't impressed. i now run ported and non-ported 28.5's. easy install, gobs of torche, and you dont lose a noticable amount of rpm

Sweet thanks that is some good insite in the gasser world. I am looking to get in to the gas offroad because there is just more places for me to run them vs. on-road. I was wondering how that all worked out as far as what would be the best engine set-up. From what you have said I will stick with the stock 26 for awhile them move up to a 28 or 29. That is what this forum is all about sharing knowledge.

Back