Arrma kraton dlx brushless

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmzm

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting an Arrma Kraton my question is, do l have to get LiPos or can l use it with nimh-nicd batteries?

@cmzm you could use NiMh batteries but LiPo will give you longer run times and more power.

Thanks Woodie. I only have nitro rcs, l really don't trurst lipo batteries, l don't think that is save to keep them inside the house. I don't have a garage lol.
But if l use NiMh on the kraton is just plug and go, or do l have to set the esc.

Lipos are perfectly safe indoors provided that you don't overcharge, or overdischarge them. Get some lipo bags and a good charger and just use your head. It would be a shame to have that truck, and never experience the awesomeness of an 1/8 brushless basher on lipo power. Seriously, you're wasting money on the higher end electronics if you're really never going to run lipos in it.

@cmzm I certainly agree with @HPIguy that LiPo's can be perfectly safe so long as you use them as they are intended and take the needed precautions (don't overcharge, or overdischarge, etc). If storage is a concern for you, I would recommend picking up an old metal ammo box (or even from your local army surplus).

I do have a garage but I still store all my LiPo and LiFe batteries in a metal ammo box that closes very tightly. So even in a freak accident, I lose my batteries but my garage and house still remain. ;)

I've been using LiPos for over 7 years now and have never had an explosion or fire. I have had a few puff on me. Just follow the guidelines that have posted above, and you'll be fine.

I've been using lipos for 5 years now and I've never had one caught fire on me either. had a couple puff here and there but usually because of some damage they sustained in a crash. Plus that kit on NiXX packs would be seriously underpowered and your runs times will likely be 5-8 minutes tops.

Thanks guys for your help l didn't order the arrma. I just ordered the e revo brushless edition with the DuraTrax LiPo Onyx 3S 11.1V 5000mAh 25C Soft Case Battery.

I have its little brother, the 1/16 Revo VXL and it, too is a beast.
20130820_191812_zpsad759010.jpg

20130820_191738_zpsec3ddaed.jpg

20130820_191715_zps50d17c78.jpg

I can't wait to get mine, but with the weather conditions l think is going to be delay.

When you do get it, remember to go through and check fluids and Loc-Tite/tighten everything.

Yep, hamz is spot on, and definitely check the diffs, Traxxas is famous for shipping them dry. I'd personally tear the whole thing apart and rebuild it, but that's just me.

Just to add to the lips discussion, I had a 3s pack that lost the middle cell so I charged the two good ones individually and decided to experiment. I dropped it 10 times from appx 6 ft onto the concrete and nothing happened aside from a little bit of swelling. The. I placed them in the back yard on a piece of concrete and shot them 5 times with a .22lr. Nothing but holes. I thought I'd try lower velocity same size so I shot them 5x with a .22 air rifle. Same thing. A couple of pellets got lodged I the 3rd pack and didn't make it all the way through. Still no fire.