Anyone have an Elegoo FDM printer?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJC_GUY

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I have been off of RC stuff since December and tied up in doing diecast projects. Bed size on my little Anycubic was limiting me in RC and is limiting me in diecast so I've been looking at some large volume printers. I was looking at the Anycubic Kobra as the little Mega has done a good job for me.

Then I came across the Elegoo Neptune 3 Max. 420mmX420mmX500mm build volume. Auto leveling and solid reviews against the Creality unit of similar size. But $470!

All the reviews I've been reading are good. Prints PETG and TPU well.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Never used any Elegoo printers. I love my Anycubic Chirons I think they are 400x400x450mm build volume but it doesn't look like they sell those anymore. Shame.

Never used any Elegoo printers. I love my Anycubic Chirons I think they are 400x400x450mm build volume but it doesn't look like they sell those anymore. Shame.

I've been really happy with the little Anycubic. I believe the Kobra Max is the replacement for the Chiron. I want to do more PETG and the Kobra has a glass bed while the Neptune has a PEI magnetic. Price is usually within about $50 although the Neptune is on preorder now.

Extra 5% off from Matterhackers made it $491 out the door. Supposed to ship around the end of the month. Now I just need to clear space for this monster.

Needs 39" total for the Y axis.

Strangest FedEx tracking I've seen. Really bad but I can't complain too much. New printer showed up 3 days early and when i was home so bonus.

It's pretty big, that's a temporary home until I can extend the bench next weekend when I have time.

Haven't printed much but happy so far. It's pretty darn quiet and didn't suffer from the marginal assembly quality the Anycubic did. Everything that was supposed to be tight was.

The gantry is solid and everything feels like it's good quality.

Requires 39" of clearance on the Y axis so we basically rearranged the hobby room this weekend to give it a temporary home.

Now I need to print some drag chains for it. Or I might just buy some if the vendor I used to order them from still gives me a good price.

Same lighting in the room on both pictures. Second pic is with its own lighting.

PXL_20230626_023133202.jpg

PXL_20230626_023151929.jpg

Performed the pre-level, then the auto-level, then tweaked the z offset slightly, dialed up the flow to 105% (I'll tweak the steps just didn't feel like doing it last night) and printed my favorite calibration cube last night.

I use this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4943713 because it's a hinged, print in place version.

Hot off the printer it measured 20.1 mm on all 3 axes. After cooling it was 20mm on the nose and the hinge works like it was machined.

Need to order the parts to convert it to a full metal hotend but waiting to see if they go on sale on Prime Day. I should have some .6 nozzles to swap onto it tonight so I can get rolling on some large prints.

Only downside so far is it puts off some heat haha. Warms my hobby room right up.

Performed the pre-level, then the auto-level, then tweaked the z offset slightly, dialed up the flow to 105% (I'll tweak the steps just didn't feel like doing it last night) and printed my favorite calibration cube last night.

I use this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4943713 because it's a hinged, print in place version.

Hot off the printer it measured 20.1 mm on all 3 axes. After cooling it was 20mm on the nose and the hinge works like it was machined.

Need to order the parts to convert it to a full metal hotend but waiting to see if they go on sale on Prime Day. I should have some .6 nozzles to swap onto it tonight so I can get rolling on some large prints.

Only downside so far is it puts off some heat haha. Warms my hobby room right up.
Yeah buddy I bet that bed DOES throw off some heat! I have 6 FDM's running usually so I get the "Heat up the hobby room" thing..LOL

Thankfully we have central A/C. Maybe I'll move it to the basement this winter to supplement the heat.
Thats where my hobby room is.. the room is usually about 10* F warmer than the rest of the basement in the winter..

Back