After my first weekend with my Slayer Pro... [Long]

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IKoRyan

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Alright so I can say just after one weekend of bashing on and off the track at my work I've had quite the handful of things to take care of on my truck. After the first day which was Saturday I was out for probably 5 hours with approximately 2 hours of run time, my steering servo went out on me. It was a simple fix, but I opted into getting a new one with all metal gears so I wouldn't have the problem of gears stripping again. Replacement went well, it was fairly easy and only took about 10 mins.

Fast forward a day and this is where the real problems came. After about 30 mins of running my clutch pads blew out. I have no idea how it happened, I had just finished up a tank of fuel and decided, while I give my engine a break for a few minutes, that I would change out the 4 AA's in the receiver to a rechargeable receiver pack. Once that was installed I filled up and started my engine, I immediately noticed that something was very wrong with the throttle. I would pull the throttle and the engine opened up and sounded perfect, but I wouldn't move but a couple inches. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out what the deal was, I noticed that the clutch pads (2/3) were totally gone and only one remained.

So I go to the hobby shop and end up purchasing 2 sets of pads, just in case it happens again I've got back-up. Here comes the fun part... I realize that replacing the pads is no simple task, due to lack of clearance between the clutch and the carburetor. I ended up having to take off the entire engine/exhaust system, just so I could get the clearance to slide the gear off to get to the pads. It was very frustrating trying to put the new pads on myself because they kept falling off the tits that were on the gear to hold them in place. I also had to watch to make sure the flat metal ring stayed onto the notches of the clutch. So finally after about 2.5 hours of frustration, swearing, and 3 Coronas, I finally managed to get it on without the pads slipping off. Spend another half hour to reassemble everything I dismantled. Took her outside and she's now running better than ever! I swapped out to the heavy duty aluminium pads instead of the composite to see how I like it. I also have extra composite pads just in case anything happens. So far we're holding up nicely. My skid-plates are coming in today so that will be the next upgrade! I'll keep you all updated on my progress with my Slayer Pro!

Thanks guys!

I'll try to upload pics as I go into the media gallery. This is going to be an exciting adventure! :D

Last edited:
Indeed, that's how you learn. When you get ready, get a Robinson Racing Gen 3 slipper unit. It's more expensive than a Traxxas unit or even a simple steel spur gear would be, but it's miles ahead of the traxxas unit. Just be aware that when you do you'll have to get a hardened clutchbell as well.

Alright so I can say just after one weekend of bashing on and off the track at my work I've had quite the handful of things to take care of on my truck. After the first day which was Saturday I was out for probably 5 hours with approximately 2 hours of run time, my steering servo went out on me. It was a simple fix, but I opted into getting a new one with all metal gears so I wouldn't have the problem of gears stripping again. Replacement went well, it was fairly easy and only took about 10 mins.

Fast forward a day and this is where the real problems came. After about 30 mins of running my clutch pads blew out. I have no idea how it happened, I had just finished up a tank of fuel and decided, while I give my engine a break for a few minutes, that I would change out the 4 AA's in the receiver to a rechargeable receiver pack. Once that was installed I filled up and started my engine, I immediately noticed that something was very wrong with the throttle. I would pull the throttle and the engine opened up and sounded perfect, but I wouldn't move but a couple inches. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out what the deal was, I noticed that the clutch pads (2/3) were totally gone and only one remained.

So I go to the hobby shop and end up purchasing 2 sets of pads, just in case it happens again I've got back-up. Here comes the fun part... I realize that replacing the pads is no simple task, due to lack of clearance between the clutch and the carburetor. I ended up having to take off the entire engine/exhaust system, just so I could get the clearance to slide the gear off to get to the pads. It was very frustrating trying to put the new pads on myself because they kept falling off the tits that were on the gear to hold them in place. I also had to watch to make sure the flat metal ring stayed onto the notches of the clutch. So finally after about 2.5 hours of frustration, swearing, and 3 Coronas, I finally managed to get it on without the pads slipping off. Spend another half hour to reassemble everything I dismantled. Took her outside and she's now running better than ever! I swapped out to the heavy duty aluminium pads instead of the composite to see how I like it. I also have extra composite pads just in case anything happens. So far we're holding up nicely. My skid-plates are coming in today so that will be the next upgrade! I'll keep you all updated on my progress with my Slayer Pro!

Thanks guys!

I'll try to upload pics as I go into the media gallery. This is going to be an exciting adventure! :D
I'm not quite sure what the slayer shoes consist of.

But when I replace my shoes or have to take them off & put them back on ,I use a allen wrench
to hold the spring in place on the shoe while pushing them on the fly wheel pin ,an a flat head
screw driver to push an pry the spring in place.
As you do it more frequently ,you get good at it!...

But when I replace my shoes or have to take them off & put them back on ,I use a allen wrench
to hold the spring in place on the shoe while pushing them on the fly wheel pin ,an a flat head
screw driver to push an pry the spring in place.
As you do it more frequently ,you get good at it!...

I was indeed talking about the clutch pads. :) But I'll take the advice here to future use!

I was thinking about getting this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFHUY&P=Z
Since the plastic one is slowly losing teeth. None are fully gone yet but some chipping is starting to occur. Is there anything I would need to make that steel one work right?
IMO, steel spurs are over rated and can lead to more expensive repairs. Plenty of the guys on here are using plastic ones with much more power than a stock 3.3. If there is an issue causing your gear to wear prematurely, a steel one will only make it take longer to fail. The key to a long lasting SG is having you gear mesh set correctly.

What do you mean "chipping"? Is it just the tip of the teeth, like the mesh is too loose or does it look like rocks are chewing it up?

What do you mean "chipping"? Is it just the tip of the teeth, like the mesh is too loose or does it look like rocks are chewing it up?

Could be due to rock damage, but I'm not too sure. But It's definitely a good amount of wear. I'll have to take a picture and upload it. I'll grab one here in a bit when I go to my car. My boss wants to see my truck run, so I'll have it out here shortly. He's an electric guy, maybe I'll try to convert him to nitro. :)

Ok fellas, we've got us a problem now... My truck won't run. I can start it and throttle it to make it move around, but it will not idle. Any advice? On the bright side I've got a beer, and I'm putting new skid plates on.

If it starts an stays running when you throttle it ,dies when you let off or brake ,then it just
sounds like you need to merely adjust your idle up some.

Also you need to note that you have a throttle trim on your radio.But its best if you turn your idle
screw in some at the carb.

Glow plug seemed a little rough, the wire was black. Swapped it out and I'm going to go out shortly to give it a run. If it does the same thing the next step will be to adjust the idle screw. I'm hoping for the best.

On a side note, I've finished putting on the new skid plates, I just forgot to purchase the middle plate, so it's now on its way and should be in on Wednesday. I seriously appreciate all the help guys. I'm learning a lot and it's making this experience so much nicer. Pictures will be up either tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated.

EDIT: Testing will have to wait until tomorrow. I gotta help the lady cook dinner. :( Play time will be later.

Last edited:
Could be due to rock damage, but I'm not too sure. But It's definitely a good amount of wear.
If it's rock damage I'd look into protecting the gears somehow, or stay out of the rocks (but that's not fun).

If it's rock damage I'd look into protecting the gears somehow, or stay out of the rocks (but that's not fun).
I'm going to see if I can somehow rig up some sort of guard, if I can't I'll just have to swap out to steel gears.

I've added 2 new pictures to my album :D Stay tuned for more updates/upgrades.

Replaced glow plug, still got nothing. This time throttle doesn't help. Going to charge up starter and see what happens. I haven't charged it in a couple days. Any ideas if that fails? Mind you it started happening after one run once clutch pads were swapped.

EDIT: I got it so start, as long as I throttle it around it stays running, but will not idle. I'm going to try to fiddle with the idle screw some time today. I'll keep you guys updated.

EDIT2: I think I've narrowed the problem down after a bit of research. Either the engine clutch spring is broken, or I managed to get myself an air leak from bashing the cooling head on the motor a little too hard on a wreck. I'll have to pull it apart tonight to find out. I can't help but to feel a bit frustrated, however I'm learning quite a bit about this car and how everything works from all of this research and diagnosing.

Last edited:
Any advice on finding air leaks? Just in case I have one...

Any advice on finding air leaks? Just in case I have one...

May I ask how you maintain your air filter?
Sometimes people tend to over saturate them with filter oil an it restricts the air.
Also ,check the cylinder head screws ,sometimes they will loosen up causing a air leak
around the head.
I ran across that several times on my engines!

Back