.18 engine quit starting after break in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stout890

RC Newbie
Reaction score
i bought a dtx .18 for a rc10 that i rebuilt and i got it started and broke in the engine by running 5 tanks of fuel through the car allowing it to cool between tanks tanks 3-4-5 were leaned on the high end 1/8 turn each tank with noticeable increases in power each time but still running rich. after the 5th tank i had trouble getting it to start again. now its 3 days later and iv tried everyday for about an hour to get the engine started with no luck.

now i know this has situation has come up a billion times I'm sure but my question is unique and haven't come up with any answer in any searches.

first off i have a roto start and i am using a malwakee plug in drill motor to start the engine, this thing has a lot of torque and i believe its turned the engine over with hydro lock. when i prime the engine and crank it over sometimes it sounds different like its "tapping" although when i remove the glow plus and try and clear it of fuel only once has it had any fuel come out.

first is that possible to turn the engine over with hydro lock? anyone used a drill like i have to start the engine?
if so what would give since fuel is incompresible? a conrod? a crank pin?

second if the conrod is bent will that keep the engine from starting at all?

or should i just keep trying and trouble shooting with the basics till one day it starts?

i bought a dtx .18 for a rc10 that i rebuilt and i got it started and broke in the engine by running 5 tanks of fuel through the car allowing it to cool between tanks tanks 3-4-5 were leaned on the high end 1/8 turn each tank with noticeable increases in power each time but still running rich. after the 5th tank i had trouble getting it to start again. now its 3 days later and iv tried everyday for about an hour to get the engine started with no luck.

now i know this has situation has come up a billion times I'm sure but my question is unique and haven't come up with any answer in any searches.

first off i have a roto start and i am using a malwakee plug in drill motor to start the engine, this thing has a lot of torque and i believe its turned the engine over with hydro lock. when i prime the engine and crank it over sometimes it sounds different like its "tapping" although when i remove the glow plus and try and clear it of fuel only once has it had any fuel come out.

first is that possible to turn the engine over with hydro lock? anyone used a drill like i have to start the engine?
if so what would give since fuel is incompresible? a conrod? a crank pin?

second if the conrod is bent will that keep the engine from starting at all?

or should i just keep trying and trouble shooting with the basics till one day it starts?

I grenaded an 8.0 engine with a high power drill before when it hydro locked.
It shattered the conrod an sent pieces of metal up into the cylinder an scared
the piston/sleeve up real bad.

So yea ,you can damage the rod!
That's why I tell folks to lean the engine alittle on their first start up on a new engine,
an crack the glo-plug open a little.
An then once the engine starts ,richin it back up on break-in.

Have you checked your glo-plug to see if its damaged?

Yeah I checked it and it's good iv also changed it to an OS plug and still can't get it to start.

I know I haven't destroyed the engine completely because it still turns over and has compression. I'm thinking maybe I bent the Conrod and it's not going all the way to top dead center.

I want to open it up and check it but I also don't want to jump the gun and crack open a new motor if I don't have to.

Yeah I checked it and it's good iv also changed it to an OS plug and still can't get it to start.

I know I haven't destroyed the engine completely because it still turns over and has compression. I'm thinking maybe I bent the Conrod and it's not going all the way to top dead center.

I want to open it up and check it but I also don't want to jump the gun and crack open a new motor if I don't have to.

If it wont hit a lick ,I would definitely would open it up an check!
If its bent,it will throw the port timing off an not start!..

It could be bent. Hyrdolock can easily bend a conrod.

Well I have the motor in front of me and looking into the exhaust port it seems to be ok. The piston is bottom dead center exactly flush with the bottom of the exhaust port opening. I would think if it was bent it would travel lower.

Anyways I'll press on with the inspection.is there anything special I need to do to re-seal the back cover of the engine after I open it? Is there a gasket or is it a metal to metal mating surface type seal? What should I look for once it's open? Will it be obvious or is a slight bend that's unnoticeable a possibility?

There should be an o ring on the back plate. Many people also seal up with some RTV silicone there and other places as well.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ok so I checked it out and all looks good inside the motor. The rod had no obvious bend and the bearing had no play. I took some pics so you guys can see if you see anything. The only thing that seemed odd was the amount of oil in the bottom of the crank. I drained some out before I closed the motor back up

Everything looks good ,I don't see were it wont start!
You might just need to lean it out a little bit more ,maybe try leaning the Lsn about an1/8.
Also I noticed the muffler has the hole for the tube to go in.Before you stick the tube back
in ,cut the tip of the tube in an angle ,so it don't bottom out inside the muffler.

So I got it started yesterday. It kept dying at first as soon as I let off the throttle and let it go to idle until it warmed up than it would go to idle if I eased off the throttle but if I applied brakes it would die. I even have the idle screw maxed out for max throttle opening. Anyways I was tunning the bottom end trying to get it to idle by just letting of the throttle normally, I went 1:8 richer 2x and than the same amount leaner with it only getting worse each way so I ended up leaving it basically where it was when I got it started. But than it quit starting again because my glow starter died. Now today I cannot get it started again at all.

So I got it started yesterday. It kept dying at first as soon as I let off the throttle and let it go to idle until it warmed up than it would go to idle if I eased off the throttle but if I applied brakes it would die. I even have the idle screw maxed out for max throttle opening. Anyways I was tunning the bottom end trying to get it to idle by just letting of the throttle normally, I went 1:8 richer 2x and than the same amount leaner with it only getting worse each way so I ended up leaving it basically where it was when I got it started. But than it quit starting again because my glow starter died. Now today I cannot get it started again at all.
Do you know the factory sets on the carb,
If you do ,then reset to factory & start over!

Yeah the factory settings are flush with the low speed needle and 2 turns out from closed on the high speed. That's where I was at when I got it to start yesterday and I set the low speed back so I'm stumped.
Can oil build up in the engine cause it to not start? A lot of oil drips out of the exhaust after attempting to start so much with no luck. One drop came out of the glow plug hole when I was turning it over upside down with the glow plug off or is that normal. Glow plug still glows. I have a brand new one I compare it to and it glows the exact same.
Man I wish the OS cvr x was still being made i'd have just but one of those.

Last edited:
Yeah the factory settings are flush with the low speed needle and 2 turns out from closed on the high speed. That's where I was at when I got it to start yesterday and I set the low speed back so I'm stumped.
Can oil build up in the engine cause it to not start? A lot of oil drips out of the exhaust after attempting to start so much with no luck. One drop came out of the glow plug hole when I was turning it over upside down with the glow plug off or is that normal. Glow plug still glows. I have a brand new one I compare it to and it glows the exact same.
Man I wish the OS cvr x was still being made i'd have just but one of those.

What brand & nitro percent are running in it ? That could be an issue as well!
2 turns out on the Hsn sounds more closer to a tune set and not a break-in set!