1/8 buggy tires on the revo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motoman

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is it common to do this? Is this what they do for racing? As long as it has 17mm hub?

Last edited:
I have a 1/8 buggy and I wouldn't put them on my Revo.
Put some response pro's

i would run 17 mm hex truggy tires b4 i would run buggy tires. It would also benefit for you to change gearing if you use buggy or truggy tires

Buggy tires would be waaaayyyyy too narrow to run on the revo, with such a wide wheelbase and just the sheer weight of the rig, the buggy tires would buckle under extreme cornering

Is it common to do this? No its not.

A Gear change will be required with the smaller diameter tires.
Smaller diameter tires will require a bigger clutch bell/smaller spur gear to make up the difference.

Can you do it? Yes if you gear accordingly and take the time to dial in the setup, they work just as well as a standard sized MT tire or truggy tire/wheel will. The biggest difference is in the ride height. Buggy tires will give you a lower COG compared to a MT/truggy tire.

Here’s the same rig (mutant TMaxx) setup with truggy wheel/tires and with buggy wheels/tires and with MT sized wheels/tires with only a gear change and shocks/positioning being the main difference in the chassis setups.

DSC05935.gif

DSC05889.gif

DSC05881.gif

All setups performed well and better than a MT would, but the setup with the buggy wheels/tires handled better than with the truggy/MT wheels/tires.
Neither setup would perform as well as a true buggy or truggy.

If you already have the buggy tires and gear options, bolt them on, give it a try and experiment with the setup. If not, I wouldn’t invest any $$ just to try it.

Is it common to do this? No its not.

A Gear change will be required with the smaller diameter tires.
Smaller diameter tires will require a bigger clutch bell/smaller spur gear to make up the difference.

Can you do it? Yes if you gear accordingly and take the time to dial in the setup, they work just as well as a standard sized MT tire or truggy tire/wheel will. The biggest difference is in the ride height. Buggy tires will give you a lower COG compared to a MT/truggy tire.

Here’s the same rig (mutant TMaxx) setup with truggy wheel/tires and with buggy wheels/tires and with MT sized wheels/tires with only a gear change and shocks/positioning being the main difference in the chassis setups.

DSC05935.gif

DSC05889.gif

DSC05881.gif

All setups performed well and better than a MT would, but the setup with the buggy wheels/tires handled better than with the truggy/MT wheels/tires.
Neither setup would perform as well as a true buggy or truggy.

If you already have the buggy tires and gear options, bolt them on, give it a try and experiment with the setup. If not, I wouldn’t invest any $$ just to try it.

thanks that is good info. and thanks for the time!

Back