How To: Glueing Tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay I did a little searching prior to making this thread but cannot quite locate what I'm after. This will be my first time glueing tires and dont want to make a mess of things, so I was just asking what you guys do to make it easier on yourselves so it comes out perfect. The only thing I have right now as far as CA glue is krazy glue and its just like super glue so I am hoping that it will work because I dont wanna drive to my LHS.

Tips, steps and so forth are much appreciated therefore after everyones .02, people can hit this thread and learn/know what to do :D

I use a thin CA.

1. Mount tire to rim
  2. Slightly pull tire away from rim just enough to lay in one drop of CA.
  3. Do this 2-4 times (depending on rim size) around the rim on each side.
A thin CA will naturally flow throughout the bead. I always do my insides first. This allows me to get a feel for how much I need. If I use too much I havn't marred the visible tire too much.

Should I vent my SCT wheels if not vented already? If so whats a good size hole 1/8"?

Should I vent my SCT wheels if not vented already? If so whats a good size hole 1/8"?

Yes, and most guys are venting the tires, not the wheels. Also, for gluing, get the thin/medium glue, with the applicator tips. It makes it much easier. If you wrap rubber bands around the tires, it will make them set into the bead easier and hold in better when glued.

And make sure the bead area of the tires and rims is clean! Use motor cleaner or something to that effect to clean them. Molding residue can prevent a good glue contact.

Tip, if you get CA glue on the rim you can try and wipe it away with a wet rag, but it more than likely will smear it and make it look worse. Don't use a paper towel because it will get stuck on the rim.

Tip, if you get CA glue on the rim you can try and wipe it away with a wet rag, but it more than likely will smear it and make it look worse. Don't use a paper towel because it will get stuck on the rim.

If you use the applicator tips, you can do it pretty easily without getting glue all over the rim.

Back