Got An AX10, Need Some Help :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Whats up guys its been awhile since I've been on but I traded my scx10 I had to an ax10 & have a bunch of questions :D.

I need some ideas on the rx/esc holding plate, the one on it is a afro engineered iPhone plastic case cut to fit and entirely zip tied to the frame...

Possibly looking into a new motor and or drivetrain, when the truck is engaged forward or reverse it makes a wierd light clapping type noise (like a baseball card in ur bike tire sound) & do not know what it is caused by.

For the new motor I have no idea on whats good yet cheaper & what the 55t means and what motor/drivetrain gears to use, can this setup accept a slipper clutch?
I want same torque and power response as my old scx did

And lastly for now I think is that I need a new steering servo & have no idea whats best, I wanna turn rocks when i turn my wheels when I'm stuck lol.

Thanks alot guys I will post up some pics as soon as I can make this rig look legit!

Last edited:
Good to see ya back, What is your budget looking like, because it can get real expensive real quick, also what batteries are you running, What ESC do you have and do you have a BEC for it? My current set for my AX10 which works well for me is a 35 turn integy brushed motor running on a 3 cell 1300mah lipo battery, but you will want to upgrade your drive train with this set up, it has great wheel speed and torque, the Robison Racing Products are great gears for the tranny, and the MIP C Spine drive shafts are also great, I also have S3R Chromolly lockers in the front and rear axles, as for servos the Hobbico CS170 is a great servo with 333oz of torque for around $90 and can be found on Tower Hobbies, for mounting all of your electronics a piece of lexan cut and zip tied to fit your upper links works well and is what I use as do most people because it keeps things down low and out of the way, or you can buy or make some plates and mount them to either side of the rear axle and mount the electronics there, but they will be less protected there. Take a look at my build threads on here and here is a link to a bunch of pics of my crawler to get an idea of what can be done to them, mine is a full blown comp crawler and I am still changing things here and there to try to improve its performance.

[ame="http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/abadk9420/"]Pictures by abadk9420 - Photobucket[/ame]
P1120102Small.jpg

I'm too poor to go lipo right now, its a 55t motor with a novak rooster esc and a futaba rx, and i run a 4400 nicad

Nobody has anything on the rest of my questions? I wanna find out what the clapping noise is when its engaged... Swapped out my old scx10s Integy 35t lathe motor and 18t spur on it, is that ok lol? Also my servo HPI SF-1 can't turn my tires when I want it to, it has to roll and shift into the turn I make....

18t pinion on with the 35t is real high, Id step it down to a 12-14t pinion. For a servo, 333oz and higher is what you really need but you could start with a hitec 645 to get you by until then, not that its any where near that much torque but its like $30, but its not gonna turn it very well either.

Awesome guys thanks alot! Anything on why my rig makes a card in bike tire clap, when engaged?

What kind of tires, rims n weights are you guys using?

-Killer

Could be the grub screw in the pinion hitting the spur gear.

Any of the main comp tires are good, Rovers (white dot), Leopards, Boss Claws, Chisels, their all good. I've ran all and on all types of rock and they all have their plus/minus's about them. As far as rims, theirs not much point in upgrading unless your willing to drop alotta coin on some nice aluminum are quality delrin rims.

Ok couple new concerns, first off It seems like one of my shocks is acting "gummy" like, when I mash on it or even do a 1/2 throttle turn one side front or back (can't remember) slouches down as if there was no spring, any ideas what causes this? The shocks have oil in them. Second, my scx10 compared to the ax seems like this ax is really wobbly like unstable almost when I drive, turns and drives just fine but seems like something is wrong or missing? Ill post a pic soon.

Thanks guys :D

Pics finally, my suspension links rub like a son of a gun against my tires when I turn. Oh and I'm not quite sure how to prep my servo so i can connect it to my front steering links. It also apears I'm missing some cross stablizer links for the actual frame on top?

Thanks again
P1050034.jpg

P1050035.jpg

P1050036.jpg

P1050037.jpg

Last edited:
Sound like you are having torque twist issues, try preloading the drivers side rear spring a little more, also that big old 6 cell batter sitting up high is not gonna help matters at all, as for your lower links a East End Machining double reverse triangulation skid plate would help big time, and so would turning the whole motor and tranny assembly 180*.
http://www.eastendmachining.com/doretrskde.html

Last edited:
Most likely the drop you are seeing is torque twist. Its caused by the thrust of the motor turning the drivelines. The tranny turning the axles cause the chassis to twist. It will happen with all shaftys. The losi has the least in my experience. Nothing you can really do to get rid of it completely. Some things that will help is put a stronger spring on the left rear and do a 4 linik setup with the EEM dual triangulated skidplate. Some chassis help get rid of it as well.

P.S. Get some white dot Rovers on there with 2 stage proline foams ASAP!

EDIT: damn I almost beat Curtis to it.

Last edited:
Yep Brandon you were a day late and a dollar shot on this one, LOL!!!! but it was nice for the Crawler Guru to Chime in, LOL!!!!

You need an EEM Sportsman's package for that thing. Add a SNG chassis for only $30 too!

http://eastendmachining.com/axrepa.html

Stay away from memory foams too, especially since you are in Utah and have non stop tempature change, they will and DO suck the butt. What ever tires you get, try to get some good foams like Crawler Innovations DD's, or run some custom set up foams.

Can anyone help me as far as possibly adjusting my drag brake on my Rooster? I have no pressable brake & have very little drag brake

Is it the rooster crawler ESC, do you have a manual for it? give us a little more info and I am sure we can help you.

Is it the rooster crawler ESC, do you have a manual for it? give us a little more info and I am sure we can help you.

I do believe it is the original, looks like the crawler edition but isnt labled "crawler"

Okay I can't figure out drag brake on this if it even has one, I am crawling sloppy and fast because I have no pressable brake at little throttle...... I have re-done my rx/esc holder plate and now have my big ass 7-cell on top, is this a bad thing? I dont know anywhere else to put it and can't go lipo yet.

Abadk, you spoke of that 333oz torque servo, I am gunna buy that but will I need a small cell pack to make it perform?

Last edited: