Cheap-O-Maxx Engine Upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My son and I decided to put a different engine in his Maxx so I figured I'd share the install with you.

Thanks to Fricken Joey, we have an HPI .18SS+ Outlaw Star engine to start with. My son liked the stock black pipe and wanted it on there too so that's what we're going to start with.
Right away we found a few differences in the engine/pipe combo that we needed to deal with. The first obvious thing was the crank. It is longer than the Pro .15 as shown here.

crankdiff.JPG

Many of you already know what to do but I'm going to go over how I did it to help any newbies that may want to try a similar swap.
First take a measurement of what the original crank is, then measure the new crank. The difference is what must be cut off. To cut it off, I put the engine in a baggie and poked the crank through it. I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and simply cut it off. I then took it to the bench grinder with a buffing wheel and smoothed off the edge trying to make sure the end of the crank is flat with a slight tapered lead-in for the thread. Here's the finished result.

crankdiff2.JPG

Now just install the flywheel/clutch assembly. Simple right? One problem down

Next problem. The header on the HPI is bent differently and the pipe is a bit longer and simply won't fit the space available in the T-Maxx. You can see the differences here.

pipes.JPG

The HPI header looks like it's a larger size so I was worried about the .15 header restricting the exhaust but when I measured I found out out it's just an optical illusion. They are the same diameter pipe. I also discovered a couple of other things. The .15 header is essentially port matched to the engine where the HPI is not and the HPI pipe had a restrictor in it. I thought I had pics of these difference but I didn't.
Simply using the .15 header isn't enough, so I cut about a 1/4 inch or so off the inlet of the HPI pipe and removeed the restrictor. Now the length fits. 2nd problem down.

The next problem is really simple, but never the less it ended my work for the night. The mounting on the engine for the header is thicker and required longer screws that I didn't have on hand. So Today I went and picked up the correct length screws. I also picked up a new gasket and sealed it with rtv. 3rd problem eliminated.

One last problem using the HPI pipe is the mounting brace hole is on top of the pipe if the stinger is pointed down through the opening in the chassis. Finally,time for a custom part! :D
First I took some measurements. Then I cut a small length of round aluminum bar and drilled and tapped each end(3mm). A coupe of more measurements then I bend the bar. One way to bend it(how I did this one) is to use a rag and clamp one end of the bar in a vice. Then use a bar or boxed end wrench to pry it over. Be careful this will scar the aluminum or destroy it if you get carried away. Start low where you want the bend to be and bend a little then move up a little and bend some more. Move up,repeat until you get a nice bend. If you're careful you can polish up the scarring and you're done.

pipemount1.JPG

pipemount2.JPG

pipemount3.JPG

Now It's time to install everything on the truck. First though, we also swap out the trans for one that has the FOC already in it.

installed.JPG

With engine in place I carefully set the mesh with spur and I done. Here's some pics of "the paper test" for the mesh. Just cut a thin strip of regular note paper. Rotate the spur and allow the paper to be pulled between the gears. When it comes out is should be a crisp stair-stepped look shown in the last pic.

That's what I've been working on the last couple of evenings. Hope some of you enjoyed reading this, maybe ???? :)

papercheck1.JPG

pepercheck2.JPG

Very nice upgrade! Love the problem solving too. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Coby. Not sure when there will be any more on this truck, but I've got things planned for the Savage.

You might be better off running that ribbed pipe though. I've used stock HPI pipes and they kind of suck. To bad too, you did a nice job of fitting it in there!

Kind of wish my jato would be more acceptable to put a side exhaust in it... would throw an OS18CV-R in it. That was one nice thing about the t-maxx, a few parts and you could go with a rear or side exhaust, slide or rotary carb.

You might be better off running that ribbed pipe though. I've used stock HPI pipes and they kind of suck. To bad too, you did a nice job of fitting it in there!

Kind of wish my jato would be more acceptable to put a side exhaust in it... would throw an OS18CV-R in it. That was one nice thing about the t-maxx, a few parts and you could go with a rear or side exhaust, slide or rotary carb.

Remember, it had a restrictor in it and it is removed so it shouldn't be too awful.

I got home from work tonight it wasn't raining yet so it was time to check out this new mill. We fueled up,spun it over to prime it, attached the igniter and SHAZAM! Fired up instantly. I drove it around easy for few minutes to warm it up then started pouring the coals to it.
Woohoo! It idled nicely,no herky jerky take offs and way faster than the .15 engine ever was. FrickenJoey knows how to fricken tune. I did have to richen it up almost 3/4 turn to keep the temps down and probably could have leaned the lsn a tad but didn't.

This engine with the FOC trans made it like whole new truck. Improved the enjoyment level immensely. I think this thing will be getting a lot more run time now! :)

Yeah, I am not surprised you had to richen it up since the fuel I use is super oily and it came out of a car half the weight of the T-Maxx. So the extra weight warmed it up a bit. That black cooling head looks good in there to! I don't know why I ever dealt with reverse after I got the FOC in mine. Night and day difference for sure. It's just a bummer you could not get the Revo pipe to work on it... but oh well right? It was an idea anyway...lol Cheap-O-Maxx Lives Again!!!!

You could probably get a jato 3.3 pipe to work on it with minimal fuss. It would sit funny to shoot straight down though... the jato is a left side mounted vs right side.

Back