Grrr... RC10GT eating through Brake Hubs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djbrady

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so I replaced my disk brake on my GT a couple weeks ago because the center of the disk had worn it's hexagonal shape into a circle. I also bought a new hub when I bought a new hub to go with it.

Made my first run with the new brake kit today and in 3 minutes, the car had chewed through the hub (basically it's all spread out).

WTF did I do wrong? Is this just an issue of a cheap hub kit or is there a chance I didn't put it back together right?

I know this is just preliminary information and I'm just curious if anyone has a quick answer for me, but I'll snap some pics when I tear it down for more info.

Thanks ya'll.

did you replace both parts with the same material?

not sure what you mean by 'both parts'. I replaced the brake pad (fiber) and the aluminum hexagonal hub it mounts onto (aluminum). The hub slides over the input shaft of the transmission and has the cross pin through it that the hub slides over to 'lock' into place.

i meant the pad, and the hub (2 parts) if the fiber disk ate through the aluminum hub, then i think you may have gotten a dud.

did it tear up the disk or the hub? pics would help.

I'll snap some pics in a little bit... I know my question is like asking to diagnose a bad sound w/out even being able to hear it...

So here's my set-up.

the aluminum hub that fits over the backside of the slipper clutch is GONE. I have no clue where it went or how it got that way, but that's the damnedest thing I have ever seen.

The center section of the disk pad is a little chewed up as well... weird.

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Back