fuel query

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroistop

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi there, just like to say hello and hope you may be able to advise with a couple of questions on fuel.
I bought my first Nitro rc (a 1/10 Himoto .18 buggy) 4 months ago, and after reading up on various sites, successfully broke it in and it runs a dream now. I have had a few smashes as I should think most people do, but thanks to the manufacturer having a very fast spares ordering service I have been able to repair it very quickly.
The worst smash bent the chassis as well as splitting the tank and trashing the steering servo. However, I was able to rebuild it on new chassis and replace all the other damaged parts within 90 minutes.
I now fitted a failsafe and also use lithium batteries to stop the nimh packs failing to work in the cold which is what caused my runaway smash.

Anyway, about fuel, I had 2.5l of 16% tornado supplied with the car which I ran it in on and did initial tuning with. After that I now use byron gen 20%. I didnt have any issues with the change of fuel, but I am wanting to progress to 30%. Question is, will this cause problems? I intend to use a gallon of 25% after my gallon of 20% is used, before going up to the 30%, thereby doing it gradually. I did not think it would be wise to go from 16% straight to 30%.

About fuel storage, I am keeping mine in the garage on the floor (with thick cardboard between bottle and the concrete floor, in a dark corner away from bright light. Will this be ok?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

You can switch fuel nitro % no problem. There is no need to do it incrementally. Just richen up the engine and run it easy for a little bit, then retune for perormance.
As far as your fuel storage goes that is fine, unless it gets buttcold or really hot in the garage. I just keep mine in the house, no worries.
Your engine is a small block, the compression ratio on most small blocks is set for 20% fuel. You may need to add head shims or drop to a cooler medium temp plug to run 30%. Check your engine's manual to be safe. Too high of nitro content with too much compression will cause detonation.

Good advice from Scrogg. One note about storage,keeping away from bright light is good but it's also better if it's in a place with a more consistant temperature. Fuel can last a long time when stored properly, I'm running fuel that is almost 2yrs old now. Seriously. It's going fast now though, we've run more since Christmas than I did all of last year!

It's going fast now though, we've run more since Christmas than I did all of last year!

Thats because your having some good father-son bonding!! Nothing better then getting your son into this hobby to enjoy it with! This hobby is fun alone but to an extent. It's always funner to bash with a buddy, and thats why the rise in fuel consumption. :D

Wish I could get my Dad into this hobby, he just looks at me and thinks I waste all my money. :(