running in snow

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok everyone has seen them, running on ice with 1/4" of snow, I want to see some real vid's of running on snow. I'll post mine as soon as we get enough. also can you give tips on setups??? thanx Russ

Cover your electrics, if you spin the wheels the snow gets kicked up all over and melts in the warm near your motor/engine/battery pack and will get into stuff otherwise.

Some tyres with an open tread would also be good, I used a ProLine Flat Iron and it filled with packed snow and turned my wheels into snowballs real quick :)

You might have to stop and tap the show off from time to time, mine got a huge pile around the front.

Leave it somewhere warm, like near a heater (obviously not too near if it's really hot) to dry out, don't leave it where the water is gonna linger on it or it'll cause rust.

'S about all I can think of. It's good fun :D

Last edited:
Coat the whole works in WD-40 before and after lightly, condomize every piece of electronic you can, put a baby sock on the head to keep the tune normal. SNOW MEANS GO! good luck.

You can use zip ties as cheap snow chains. Here's some I threw on my 2WD Stampede as an example:

View attachment 6910

If you leave them just a little bit loose they'll move around enough to avoid packing snow in and snowballing, even if the rest of your tread is.

Last edited:
great info!!! any video's??? anyone use paddles? what kind? any one better than another for snow only?

Never tried paddles, but out of all the "normal" tires I tried (on MT's), old school savage tires and losi aftershock stock tires both work really well. They are a soft compound of rubber with a pretty open tread pattern. The softer rubber helps them grab when it's cold. The open tread pattern helps them avoid getting packed up. Out of the two, the aftershock tires worked best as they are wider, so they float more.

I picked up a set of LST2 stock tires. Now I just need those little losi adapters to throw them on my savage. Figure it's worth a shot. Although, they are a bit less aggressive tread pattern and aren't quite as soft as the other two. I'll get some run time in around christmas time... two weeks vacation!

As for setups, finding servos that don't let water in has been my biggest problem in the past. I finally bucked up a little dough for $70 servos and they are factory sealed with o-rings around the case bits, screws and output shaft. 9 out of 10 times, when I fried a servo, it was because water got in around the output shaft. I tried balloons, plasti-dip, heavy grease/o-ring under the horn... all of it works ok, but I'd still burn up at least 1 or 2 servos in the winter due to water damage.

After buying the higher end servo (hitec 985MG) before last winter, I'll never buy anything else again. I ran that thing as my t/b servo in my aftershock until I couldn't see the top of the chassis for the snow. Then I hit the chassis with warm water when I got home to rinse off the snow, and I wasn't careful with where the water went. The servo never flinched. Even though it's sealed, I still took it apart before installing it and put RTV around all the case joints and the wire lead where it goes into the case. So far, it's the longest living servo I've owned in 8+ years of bashing.

For my receiver, I put them in a balloon, put a dab of RTV in the balloon neck, then zip tie to seal. It's what I do whenever I get a new truck, so I run that way year round. I do the exact same thing for the receiver packs. Except with those, I then wrap the entire receiver pack in two layers of electrical tape, since they are exposed. Then the tape is there to help protect against rocks, sticks and whatnot so the balloon doesn't get a hole in it. Also helps with general wear if the battery moves around a bit.

Last edited:
Back