How many drops of air filter oil should I put on the Air Filter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I put the filter in a ziplock, drop 5-10 drops on the filter directly, then squeeze the filter within the baggy from the outside of the baggy. Then the oil gets thoroughly worked through the element without getting it all over your hands, as it is very sticky. Once th element is fully covered evenly, then your done.

I'd start with 3-5 drops, work it into the filter, then add more if necessary until the entire filter is covered evenly.

i usually end up using about 10 drops because i wanna play it safe and for me its kinda hard to tell when my black filter is fully covered

When i ran nitro's i kept a film canister filled half way with oil, and dipped my filter in it, then went to the bag and squeezed it all into the filter.

When i ran nitro's i kept a film canister filled half way with oil, and dipped my filter in it, then went to the bag and squeezed it all into the filter.

So your basically saying dip and then squeeze out the excess right?

I think my LHS guy said 6-7, does that sound about right?

I think every maker has different 'amounts' to put on the filter. Traxxas said something like 30 drops, 10 on each flat end and 10 around the outside. But each brand of oil might differ slightly so it's really hard to say what the 'right' amount is. Too much and it's possible you could pull some into the carb, doubt it would hurt the engine any, but it might make it run funny. I think Olds' advice/suggestion is a good one, I'm going to use the baggie trick, that stuff is messy.

yea, i run in really dusty stuff, so i had to have good ammounts on it, but when you squeeze it into the ziplock, it pushes it into the middle, soaks it, and you squeeze it a lil more and drain all the excess out of it.

wow. the guy at my LHS said at least 20 drops. But after the first time applying that many i thought "that's wwwaaayyy too much"

I've found that simply using some cling wrap and folding it over the filter works in place of a bag

I've found that simply using some cling wrap and folding it over the filter works in place of a bag

Actually, that's probably a better idea than the bag, then you don't have to stick your hand into a oil covered bag and get oil all over your knuckles... which is what your trying to avoid by using the bag in the first place.

Thanks for the tip!

Just do it till its nice and covered and you see youve not missed any spts. That what i do