gear mesh

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro RC Basher

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
how exactly do you set the gear mesh. everything i found talks about pitch or something else.

thanx

Last edited:
Easiest way is the paper method. Just take a narrow strip of notebook paper (about as wide as the gear). Place it between the spur and pinion. Push the gears together until they crimp the paper between them. Tighten the engine and turn the gears to remove paper and you're done.

how thick of paper? 1 or 2 sheets thick?

2 sheets thickness, or a plastic parts bag works well. The ideal mesh setting is to have as little play between the gears as possible while allowing the gears to spin freely. A good way to check your mesh afterwards is to roll the truck on the floor and listen to the gear noise, it should be relatively quiet.

ok well i couldnt set the mesh right on my truck because pon further inspection, i bent the engine mount plate thing so it leaned forward

then take your pate out, replace it or straighten it... a bent engine mount is going to cause you HEAPS of problems later, being stripped spurs, clutch bells, clutch bell rubbing on disc brake, etc etc.

fix it now to save problems later =)

i know. it has been this way since a little after i got the truck. never a problem until i took apart the truck to clean it. put it back together and BAM!. huge problem.

BTW i ordered a savage XL TVP conversion kit and new plate braces so that should fix everything.

oh nice, i was going to do that until i realised i've spent $800 in parts on a $700 truck, and i should just buy the XL :p

lol yeah you always spend alot more that yo planned on these things. poop i coulda ought a baja by now