2.5R chassis VS. 3.3 Chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Revo 3.3 chassis VS. Revo 2.5R chassis

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i figured i would make a poll and see what people think about using the 2.5R chassis or the 3.3 chassis for the revo. I'm making a racer out of my revo and its a 2.5R but i just got a nice OS 18TM, 3.3 tranny with Center Diff and Rear brake conversion. i got myself and 3.3 chassis just in case i wanted to switch.
i know theres alot of different opinions and all between the two so lets see who wins the vote

Revo 2.5R or the Revo 3.3 chassis...you decide =]

Last edited:
I think the 3.3 chassis is better for off road racing since it would improve handling due to the longer wheelbase.

Yep, 3.3. It doesn't add much, but it does make a sizable difference, especially when running a decent engine. I had wheelie city and a revo that just couldn't handle the rough stuff very well prior to getting the 3.3 chassis. It helped smooth it out and helped keep the nose out of the air. Granted, the 18TM would still wheelie if you wanted it to... just not as frequently.

the shorter wheel base may be an advantage on smooth tight tracks as the car should turn quicker.I think the longer wheel base is more stable over the rough stuff,cuts back on wheelies,and helps with jumping.The negetive effect on tight cornering is marginal.You can also use the extended rear arms to gain wheelbase.I believe its a 10mm adjustment.When you are sitting on your lid waiting for a marshall to flip you back over I think you will be thinking I should make this thing as long as the rules allow.

if i were to do a total conversion to 3.3 from the 2.5R what would i need to make the conversion

Just the chassis and steering turnbuckles. Maybe a new center skid... I'm not sure if the 3.3 skid is longer or not. I didn't get one. Shoot, forgot, may need a new body? I ran a half body with a roll bar I made on the rear, so I didn't have to worry about the body.

I got my chassis off ebay and it came with the HD engine bay plate as well. A good piece to buy for anyone with a revo. Helps keep the engine bay from tweaking.

2.5 wins my vote hands down. I loved my 2.5 chassie. Handled better, jumped smoother, and looked better(maby it was just me on the looks lol). But if your trying to be competive, the 3.3 is the way to go for racing.

2.5 wins my vote hands down. I loved my 2.5 chassie. Handled better, jumped smoother, and looked better(maby it was just me on the looks lol). But if your trying to be competive, the 3.3 is the way to go for racing.

Uh... are you contradicting yourself or am I just reading it wrong?

You will need front drive shaft for a 3.3.The only difference is the length of the chassis as far as I know.I believe they added the length to the front.Check the traxxas site for more info.

and the 3.3 engine of course.

3.3 comes stock with the wide ratio trans 2 sp set.

Last edited:
Shoot... I completely forgot about that... I didn't buy one. I had a spare rear center that I took apart and used it's bits to make a longer front one. Sorry about that MattyFat.

Uh... are you contradicting yourself or am I just reading it wrong?

The 3.3 is more rounded for track driving, paired with a center diff and rear break kit. I dont like the way a 2.5 feels on a track, to squirly. But a 2.5 is in my oppion funner for bashing, I felt. It was easyer to get wheelies and felt like a more nimble truck as apposed to the 3.3 which is glued to the ground. Maby its confusing, but I should just say I had more fun with my 2.5.

i decided to keep the 2.5R chassis cuz thats what I'm used to. here it is with the chassis cut out and the new 3.3 tranny, center diff, and rear brake. plus some nice shiny MIP center CVD =]
tranny1.jpg

I like it when guys race the 2.5..makes it much easier to win with the 3.3..their should be no doubt as to which chassis to run..the team drivers for traxxas can run any chassis they want..they all run the 3.3..even on short tracks..this alone should tell you something.

Back