Mugen MBX5T vs Ofna Jammin CRT. HELP

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperMaxx83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok guys I'm coming to you once again. I have a lsp with tons of upgrades and i love it I've had it for 3 years and i have came to a conclusion that it has let me down to many times(front uprights). Now its time to get a new one for next year. I have gottin it down to 2 different truggies. Mugen MBX5T Prospec and the The New Jammin CRT. I can't make up my mind and i have done all the research for both of them and my local hobby shop carries all of my parts and if they dont have it they can get it for me. Price isnt really an object but i called my local hobby shop and i can get both of the cars really cheap off there website www.shopjammers.com i called there 1-800 number and they gave me the best price any where. Well now it time for the good and the bads. Let me know everything you know and help me make up my mind. If you know anything i need to know please tell me. I love both of the trucks and now I can only pick one.
Thank you guys let me know
Thanx John

Well having owned and raced both I think I can share the good and bad with you. The CRT is a good truck, don't get me wrong, it handles good and it's pretty durable but it's heavy and could use a few upgrades out of the box. It has a serious lack of on-power steering where the mugen has tons of on-power steering and with the right setup the mugen has good off power and turn in. Overall quality is Mugen hands down. Over a short period of time, the CRT seems to get sloppy and no matter what or how tight you try to tighten something, it's still there. Another thing I don't like about the Jammin, is when you need something like a rod end, you end up buying a whole tree of other parts you will almost never use to get that one particular rod end. Mugen parts may cost a little more but other than typical crap, you won't need much. From a racers experience the Mugen handles a lot better and is more consistent through a run than the jammin. I'll say this, Jammin is supposed to be releasing an updated CRT soon but what all it entails I'm not sure. I do know it has the Big Bore shocks. I've run with Gosch and talk to them and Matt hasn't been running the new truck that I am aware of.

Come on guys i need more then one opinion. I would like to get my new truck as soon as I can so i can get it set up be4 racing starts next year.
Thanx John

Have you searched the truggy forum here? There's pretty decent discussions on most of the top 4 or 5 truggies out. If you want specific info ask away. I'll ad this, if you get a X1-CRT, get the BCE chassis and small gear setup for it, it's night and day difference between the two. I also run a BCE chassis on my Mugen and it took a great truck and only made it better, it made the truck more consistent and also added about 3mm.

I will echo jets advice...not because I have owned them both ....but because I trust his opinion...and he races every Friggin chance he gets....and he is an airplane mechanic....so you now he has had both trucks torn up and rebuilt several times.

He knows his stuff.

I've heard good things about both truggies. I don't own either one, but have heard more positive things about the Mugen than the Jammin.

thanx alot guys keep it coming and help me make up my mind. If i was to get the jammin it would be thew x2crt not the original crt.
I will keep all of you posted on wake i choose.
Thanx John

Has a release date been set for the X2? I know Bradley has been running the proto and I think James. I know Gosch has not (or had not as of a couple weeks ago). One thing I don't like on the Jammin and the new one looks like it will be the same is no side guards.

i dont know the release date as of right now but when i do i will keep all of you posted.
Thanx John

Hey SuperMax, I raced the jammin CRT kit for a year, and I was pretty happy with it, it seemed to be fast, but it seemed I had to wait on it just a tick in the corners. After playing with the diff oils, and trying team drivers' setups, I finally bought the MBX5T kit, and it knocked a second off my lap times! Seems to "grab" traction a little better, corner better, and it's easier to drive.

Same OS V-spec, and electronics in both, I'd recommend the Mugen. The pivot-ball suspension works better IMO.

i really think i am planing on getting a MBX5T prospec. Just for the simple reason that i dont have to upgrade it right out of the box. MBX all the way for me i think unless the new jammin x2 comes out and smokes the mbx but i dont think that will happen any time soon. When i get it i will post some pics i have plans on airbrushing the body and it will be 9 different colors. same goes for my buggy.Once again guys thanks alot guys for all the help i will keep you posted.
Thanx John

Something to consider is what's readily available in your area, parts-wise. If you don't mind ordering parts and waiting the day or two, then it's not an issue. If you're like me though, I end up carrying just about everything to build another truck or buggy and then some so it's a non-issue either. A lot of the guys I run with locally all went Jammin to Mugen and everyone has only gotten faster. Guys that weren't Jammin or Mugen were running K cars but pretty much now it's all Losi or Mugen at our club in arena truck. The St-RR is nice too but man it's pricey.

well guys i made up my mind and bought a MBX5T Prospec. I got a super deal of a life time from the Local hobby shop that i work at so i couldnt pass it up. Ill get some pics as soon as i am done with the build. Thanx alot guys for helping me out.
Thanx John

well i built the kit and wow i love it and havnt even drove it yet. Every thing is so much smoother then my lsp was. I hope to have the body done in a week or 2 but when i do i will post some pics for everyone to see. Also i have some parts/upgrades on the way so i have to install them be4 the pics.
Thanx again guys

Cool. Love mine too. I think the only flaw is the rear hub PIN design. Not "captured" by the wheel like other designs. Even with threadlock on the setscrew they can work loose and give you a DNF. Might see if I can find those compression pins at Lowes. (slotted)

Enjoy and posts the pics when you get 'er done.

I never had a problem with them. You can use Revo universal pins, they are held with e-clips. I run buggy hubs though with Losi wheels

i just orderd the buggy hubs just in case i want to run my other 1/2" offsets tires and there really easy to change. Its all togehter and looks and rolls great. can't wait till the snow leaves so i can run it a few times be4 i race it. I have a few sponsers for the next year and i hope i dont let them down. Thanx Again guys
Thanx John

Well guys i said i would have some pics and here they are. This is just my show body i will not be using this body for racing me and my team have special bodies for racing but i said i would show pics so here they are ......Let me know what you think.

http://www.rcpics.net/img/87241
http://www.rcpics.net/img/87242
http://www.rcpics.net/img/87243
http://www.rcpics.net/img/87244
My camera sux so if the pics are bad then i will get some better ones. Hope this wakes this thread up a little.
Thanx Again Guys.
John