Retrofitting XXX-NT trans on NXT/GTX chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamLosiNXT

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey. I have a classic NXT from back when i was 11 or so. 98-99 would be exact when i got it for xmas. Anyway since then a few months later i blew the trans and soon forgot. Since i have moved a few weeks ago I found the truck and have been trying to fix it. I got the engine running and everything else seems to be working fine. I can't seem to find the trans for it. I have searched on Ebay and google and have not found anything. I did manage to get a XXX-NT trans and a LXT trans but the LXT trans is too different. The XXX-NT one seems to fit but has to be slid up further and sit a little higher. I have mocked up the stock pivot further up so the gear on the trans touches the gear on the engine. I ran out of time to finish and have to wait till tomorrow to finish. I did order XXX-NT pivot block, rear arms, rear shock tower and some screws to help the swap. I do have 2 GTX's comming that I won on ebay and hope to have 3 running trucks so me and my friends have some to play with. Got my bros old TRX .15 running also and have been playing with that with friends and we all feel like kids again. Let me know if I'm crazy or not ha. Thanks

I modded the chassis to accept the XXX-NT trans and it seems like it will work. Just got to wait for the rear shock tower to come so i can attach suspension. Sweet

The pic of the underside of the chassis is the stock pivot block moved up to cradle the trans and so the gears are meshed. The side views show everything else. I am waiting on a XXX-NT pivot block, AD rear shock tower, and arms.

Last edited:
If you do get the stock xxxnt pivot block to work, I'd highly suggest getting an aluminum one. I broke a ton of those things when I had a xxx-nt.

I couldnt seem to find one. I did get the graphite one. Do you know where i can find one? All the parts I ordered were graphite. Only a few cents more.

Here is an update of the NXT mods to fit the XXX-NT Trans. Well i got the following parts today. XXX-NT Graphite pivot block, a arms, AD2 rear shock tower and some screws and pins. I mocked the new a arms with the NXT pivot block and the CVD's didnt make it into the trans. I then swapped the stock NXT a arms back because they were shorter. I then tried to use the XXX-NT pivot block but it did not slide up far enough to get the gears to mesh. If i modd the the engine mount i could make it slide up far enough. The 1 pic showes the pivot block and just the engine. The mount is in a L shape. Would it be ok the cut the L so i can slide it up further? Next issue with the stock NXT pivot block and trans back in i put the a arms and spindles back. Does anyone know the length of the XXX-NT CVD's? Also the caster adjuster isnt long enough either and it holds the a arms up but the stock cvds are in the trans then. Anyone know the length of the XXX-NT caster adjusters? Thanks Here are some pics

Last edited:
Here is pic with A-Arms and Shock tower. Stock CVDs are in trans at the angle the arms are at. Put wrong pic in other post.

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't be more help with the pivot block... I spent an hour googling for it and I only found a few at a few places that I never shopped at.

Dynamite used to make a full aluminum setup for the xxx-nt. Trinity made a few parts for it as well, but the only ones I found were trinity and they were on order and not in stock.

Get a few spares of the stock one at least. The graphite one isn't any stronger.

This is one of the ones I found that had it: http://www.thercshack.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=222
I've never bought anything there though. I'd call before you buy.

Last edited:
Trinity also used to make the metal pivot block for the XXXNT.

Do you think it would be alright if i cut the L so the motor mount will be an I? The pic with the motor and the xxx-nt pivot block, the motor mount doesn't let the block sit far enough foward to let me use it. The gear on the trans doesn't mesh with the engine gear.

As long as you're not losing any mounting holes, I don't see a reason why you can't shave a little off the engine mount.

Tomorrow i will shave some off the motor mount. I ordered CVD's for the XXX-NT and longer camber or camber rod.

As of 6pm I finished the XXX-NT Trans swap into my NXT. I took it for a drive and everything worked great. The only issue is the spur gear rubs on the clutch bell and is creating some drag. I will put a spacer in and it will be fine. I also have to figure out a brake for it as the XXX-NT disk brake hits the exhaust. With the brake on i can't have the exhaust on. I will figure something out. Here are some pics of it sitting on the wheels. Swap included. XXX-NT: Trans, Pivot Block, A-Arms, CVD's, Rear Shock Tower, and some extensive mods to motor mount and chassis. I will make a plate and cover up all the holes i drilled and the stock NXT holes that are no longer used. I can't show you the chassis as it scares me. LOL

Last edited:
Your going to want to figure out a way to put the 3XNT battery box on the back. It gives the rear shock tower/diff some extra support. I tried running without one and the first endo rips off the tower.

The brakes, perhaps you can run a bigger spur/bell to gain a little clearance... Or maybe use the pullstart header from the RC10GT, or maybe even the XXXNT. Since all side-exhaust headers use the same port and bolt size/pattern, all you have to worry about is the curve-back.

edit; it also looks like you've got a little bit of a shock setup issue on the top mounting, as well; the exhaust side shock is in one more notch than the spur gear side.

Last edited:
Yea I know. I noticed that after I took the pics. It’s sorted out now, if I was able to get a side exhaust engine instead of the rear exhaust engine that’s on it now then I would be fine. But I have too many RC projects right now to buy an engine. I will see what I can come up with. I have 2 older GTX's coming and if I remember they have the brake where the spur gear is. Maybe I can make that work. Other then the brake I'm glad to have it moving again after being dissembled since 98 lol. I did manage to crack the trans case and I will have to order a new one. I was trying to find an aluminum one but I can’t seem to. I was sure I saw 1. Maybe you guys can help me. I got to pick parts up at my RC store tomorrow and I will ask them. I did have a problem with the inner hinge pins where the rear a-arms attach to the pivot block. They weren’t long enough. The hinge pins were the part number from the losi PDF. Are they supposed to be short or am I missing something. Thanks for the help.

I believe GPM made one at one point that was an alum case; perhaps it was Trinity. I can't quite remember.

You could go with a Kyosho header; if memory serves, they have a .12 header that is a squared off right angle unit. I would take the truck in with you to the hobby shop and see what they can find for you. You never know, they might have just the part you need in stock.

I did mananage to find a RC dealer on ebay that carries alot of aluminum parts for the XXX-NT and alot of other RC's. Here is the trans case Ebay Item # 190102462733. Here is the guys store http://stores.ebay.com/goodsgood. Let me know what you think of his stuff.

I'm sure his products are good, however you may want to email him and ask what brand they are, just to be safe.

Back