Claw Shockless Crawler Chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The Claw shockless crawler chassis uses an innovative suspension design that allows up to 80 degrees of articulation. The chassis as pictured has a 16.5" wheelbase with 4.5" of center chassis clearance. The complete chassis with body mounts and suspension including links weighs in at only 12.5 ounces! The claw shockless crawler complete chassis kit will also include the body mount kit, suspension with links, and all mounting hardware required to attach your...

READ MORE...

Has anyone used their products?
Its hard to tell from their bad photos but it looks as if the product finish is a bit rough at best.

I personally have not used any of it. I personally don't think quality is anywhere near something like innerbeecrew, or RC 4WD. I think it is more along the lines of ESP, garage manufactured with materials readily available at your local hardware stores.

That’s kind of what it looks like in the photos on their site. If I was to navigate there and see it, like I did, I would keep searching.

Not impressed with the image they are displaying. I make me wonder about the products they sell.

Geez, those guys are literally 30 minutes from me. Canastota ain't no big town, that's for sure. I'm betting it's definitely a small scale operation. But since I haven't seen their product firsthand I have no clue what the fit & finish looks like.

Look great for some one on a very tight budget.

The shock less Crap is Getto at best..The spring steel they are using will lose its spring in a short time..IMO

Hey, if they want to offer up one for review, I'd be happy to thrash it and see what it's really made of! :)

I've emailed Crawford Performance about this news posting and forum comments and here's some of the reply I got back:

All of our sheet metal parts are not manufactured in a garage, but rather
using an outside vendor with full CNC punch and forming capabilities. It is true they are not CNC machined aluminum like some other chassis out there, but we would never be able to offer our customers a high quality, affordable aftermarket chassis if we manufacture our parts like that.

Offering an affordable chassis and components brings a whole new level of hobbyists to the market that are now willing to spend money to upgrade their stock R/C's. We are always looking for outside input on how we can improve our products/website and will evaluate getting different photos of our components uploaded to our website.

Myself, I'm not very familiar with Crawlers however after doing just a real quick search for crawler chassis's I'd have to say this is a very affordable way to get into the crawler side of R/C's considering I've seen other chassis's going for well over $300 - $400.

Zandor - as for as the spring steel. I'm not sure where you got that info from as I couldn't find it on their product page for the shockless chassis and their PDF file didn't have the shockless chassis on it yet. However I'm going to have to disagree with you nonetheless. I've got a set of spring steel skid plates/ bumpers for my MGT made by RC-Solutions and those things seem to be beefy as hell. Plus it's a crawler, they are made to crawl not jump 10ft ramps so why need something bulletproof?

Anyways that last part is just my two cents, I see this as a good alternative into getting another part of the hobby. Excellent for those not sure if a crawler is for them or for those on a tight budget.

-Michael

NCNitro said:
Candyman, did you ever get any axles?
Naww. I kept looking, but the prices were always sky high and I couldn't find any at a bargain. So I'm axel-less at this point.

Candyman said:
Hey, if they want to offer up one for review, I'd be happy to thrash it and see what it's really made of! :)

If we had the money I'd love to purchase one for you to do just that - a full review.

-Michael

A free chassis for review would be great, but it's the $250 more that needs to be spent before you can actually get it to move that sucks... lol
And that estimated price is on the low side... :)

ESC
Wheels/Tires
Motors
Axles
Pinions
Servos
Wire
Batteries
etc..

ImBroken said:
A free chassis for review would be great, but it's the $250 more that needs to be spent before you can actually get it to move that sucks... lol
And that estimated price is on the low side... :)

ESC
Wheels/Tires
Motors
Axles
Pinions
Servos
Wire
Batteries
etc..

If Candyman already has a crawler then the above wouldn't matter, if he didnt' have the above then he wouldn't be the idea person to review the chassis. At any rate this is getting off topic, back to the new chassis.

-Michael

WoodiE said:
Zandor - as for as the spring steel. I'm not sure where you got that info from as I couldn't find it on their product page for the shock less chassis and their PDF file didn't have the shockless chassis on it yet. However I'm going to have to disagree with you nonetheless. I've got a set of spring steel skid plates/ bumpers for my MGT made by RC-Solutions and those things seem to be beefy as hell. Plus it's a crawler, they are made to crawl not jump 10ft ramps so why need something bulletproof?

Anyways that last part is just my two cents, I see this as a good alternative into getting another part of the hobby. Excellent for those not sure if a crawler is for them or for those on a tight budget.

-Michael

Woodie If You look at this Pic..You can see the spring steel...Its the thin flat bar thats running from the chassie to the axles...

That is what makes it shockless..
Now You add the weight of the ESC receiver battery(s)
Is going to put a load on the spring...
Witch is going to were out sooner then latter...

Don't get me wrong here.Spring steel is great For some application..But This application Is going to wear pretty quick..IMO From all the bending and twisting

cpe-claw.jpg

Interesting point Zandor - I really wish I had one here so I could check out. I'm going to have to search around the net to see if anyone has done any reviews on this chassis.

-Michael

I also think you lose adjustability without shocks. At least with shocks you can change oil weight, pistons, and springs, for a much wider range of handling.

I bought one of the Claw chassis and it is great! I have had it for a little over 4 months and the spring steel has held up with no problems. It is very well made and the links are solid aluminum. I have a CrawlerStore NN chassis and a PimpCane chassis and the Claw is just as good of a crawler as them. You only have to lower it a little it is to tall. Crawford ING, is a very honest company I placed 2 orders with them and on the first order I sent to much money and on the second order they sent me a refund of the amount that I over paid. They could have kept it and I would have never known. They may be a small company but if they keep making crawlers and treating customers like they do they will be huge in no time!

Back