does nitromethane have affect on your health ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_freak_123

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi guys ,
I've done some research on the net but i can't find out wat I'm looking for ??

all i want to know if nitro fuel has any affect on your health because
I've got a heart problem .

wen i was 8months old i had to undergo a major opertion on my heart it was life and death sitiuation. the opertion was called the switch i think anyway.
when i was born the great vellsels in my heart was the wrong way round so the opertion was to simply to switch them around i died in operating theater then they brought me back to life dont ask me how they just did hard to belive but it true i was left with a leaky vave.. i will have to undergo another major operation in the coming months/years not sure of the exact date to fix my leacky valve....

does nitro fuel and nitro powerd cars have any affect on my health in the long run . ??? i thought it would have a different affect on me because of my health.. but i dont know

thanks for any input nf123 take care

Just because I'm lazy, and don't feel like looking right now, did you look on the bottle?
It might tell you on the warning lable.

i remember reading when i first got my nmt that breathing to much in can cause cancer in the long run. but dont quote me on that. usually when i am around the fumes to much i get dizzy and some times sleepy.

theres a bunch of stuff I've heard that nitromethane and some of the other crap in the fuel is known to the state of California to cause cancer in some cases...

Why none of the other states know this is beyond me. Why the CDC or FDA or Anyone else doesn't know this either I dont get but hey, if Cali people know it... so be it.

According to my bottle of Trinity:

MAY BE FATAL OR CAUSE BLINDNESS IF SWALLOWED, EYE IRRITANT-VAPORS HARMFUL-AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES AND SKIN-KEEP AWAY FROM OPEN FLAME, USE ONLY IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS

California says it contains a chemical to be a known carcinogen, of course, most people in California thinking picking your ass can cause cancer! Funny how they worry about nitro fuel but think the air over LA is no big deal and that the big crack in the Earth is nothing to worry about either!

NF, I think if you're careful, don't drink it or let it splash into your eyes and not run your rig in a closed garage or anything, you'll be alright. Just use common sense with this stuff and use it only for its intended purpose.

If i get to close to stinger, like tuning it on a bench table, and get a little breath, i get majorly dissy and my nose/throat burn really bad.

I know I have to breath it as often as I can. It's called a "nitro fix."
My name is Kenneth and I am a junky. :)

I know if one runs too rich, it burns my eyes.

MW, it does seem like everything causes cancer in CA.
Bought something for the house once, had a warning label on it, "caused cancer and birth defects in CA."
Figured since I wasn't out there, I'd use it.
Not dissing on you guys. But if ya think about it.... The warning labels for some of the stuff we use have problems only in CA. :)

LMFAO Digger, I'm the same way! For a state that prides itself on fake tits, lips and hips, you guys sure are concerned about things that cause cancer! Thanks for looking out for the other 49 states! Wouldn't know what to do without you!

Monkey Wrench said:
For a state that prides itself on fake tits, lips and hips, you guys sure are concerned about things that cause cancer! Thanks for looking out for the other 49 states! Wouldn't know what to do without you!

On behalf of all Californians, you are welcome. We don't give a poop about the other 49 because when you die prematurely, we take the fat from your young bodies and make soap and butt implants. So keep inhaling, my ass depends on it.

sweetdiesel said:
On behalf of all Californians, you are welcome. We don't give a poop about the other 49 because when you die prematurely, we take the fat from your young bodies and make soap and butt implants. So keep inhaling, my ass depends on it.
Haven't you heard?
1)Fat from young bodies has been known to cause cancer in CA
2)Soap has been known to cause cancer in CA
3)Butts have been known to cause cancer in CA

4)And most important: Inhaling has been known to cause cancer in CA

You are gonna die from cancer before you have a nice ass or big tits! :)

:jk:

NF123, to understand the dangers of nitro fuel understand what's in it.

Most of it, from 65%-75%, is methanol, which is wood alcohol. This is the element that will cause blindness if swallowed. Alcohol has a high viscosity, meaning it evaporates very rapidly and is responsible for MOST of the airborne vapors in nitro fuel. There is very little harm in inhaled methanol vapors unless in concentrated doses. Alcohol is ALSO the most flammable substance in nitro fuel.

Nitromethane is also very poisonous in its pure form, but its viscosity (evaporative rate) is very close to water. What this means is that in it's diluted form - 10-40% in fuels - the amount of airborne nitromethane is very low. Also pure nitromethane is NOT very flammable - you can drop a match in pure ntro and it will most likely go out. Hit it with a hammer, though, and you'll blow yourself into next week. :D

The rest are synthetic or natural oils for lubrication and there is little to no concentration of them in evaporation.

When burned in an engine, the most dangerous thing you smell or inhale is carbon monoxide, just like real cars. The carbons in the visible smoke are mostly from the oils burning.

So basically if you don't inhale, you could be president. Err, I mean, unless inhaled in concentrated form or for a prolonged time (as in, running it in the garage with all the doors closed,) there is very little harm from nitro fuel in raw or burnt form.

Moved out of California for the cancer threat. Moved to Reno, Now I have a
gambeling debt.:jk:

rocknbil said:
Also pure nitromethane is NOT very flammable - you can drop a match in pure ntro and it will most likely go out.

The same thing goes for gasoline....it's all about the vapors. As long as the can of gas is well vented you can throw matches at it all day long. That is if you got that many matches to hold out all day with.

Uhh . . . . so you're saying if you throw a lit match into a puddle of gasoline you will walk away with your eyebrows intact?

I want to see a video to put the proof on that one!

To anyone reading this post DO NOT I repeat DO NOT attempt this experiment without the entire local fire department standing right behind you . . . .

i was going to say the same thing, but i held my tongue on that one. There is no way i can drop a match in gas that is well ventilated and still be here to talk. If i dump gas on the ground outside, its "well ventilated". it will still blow up.

rocknbil said:
Uhh . . . . so you're saying if you throw a lit match into a puddle of gasoline you will walk away with your eyebrows intact?

I want to see a video to put the proof on that one!

To anyone reading this post DO NOT I repeat DO NOT attempt this experiment without the entire local fire department standing right behind you . . . .

Just think for a minute...the gas DOES NOT enter your motor in a liquid form. It has to be in the form of a vapor. The issue with what I said is dangerous only because of the vapor and not the fuel it's self. Now of course I wouldn't recomend anyone trying this anymore than I would suggest them trying it on Nitromethane. I mean Nitromethane should have more BTU's than your typical garden veriaty pump gas.

aj200415 said:
i was going to say the same thing, but i held my tongue on that one. There is no way i can drop a match in gas that is well ventilated and still be here to talk. If i dump gas on the ground outside, its "well ventilated". it will still blow up.

Ya, I said the same thing to my AutoTech teacher when he first mentioned it to me. You ever see that Mythbuster epasoide where they tryed to figure out what was starting those gas station fires? They tryed like hell to start a fire in a controlled enviorment. It never worked...thats because it's GOT to be the right Air/fuel mixture...usualy 14:7.1. It's not as easy lighting raw fuel as Holleywood would have you to believe. The fuel would just put the match out unless the right conditions where present.

Last edited:
I actually have thrown a lit match at a puddle of gasoline, MANY, MANY moons ago (like 15+) to prove that it would go out (it was a triple-dog-dare situation). As has been mentioned, it went right out.

AGAIN, I AM IN NO WAY ENCOURAGING OR RECOMMENDING ANYONE TRY THIS!

Chances are I got very lucky, but I have heard from many sources that, unless you light vapors and they are at the right concentration, throwing a lit match at gasoline will usually end up just going out.

SVORay said:
Just think for a minute...the gas DOES NOT enter your motor in a liquid form. It has to be in the form of a vapor. The issue with what I said is dangerous only because of the vapor and not the fuel it's self. Now of course I wouldn't recomend anyone trying this anymore than I would suggest them trying it on Nitromethane. I mean Nitromethane should have more BTU's than your typical garden veriaty pump gas.

Ya, I said the same thing to my AutoTech teacher when he first mentioned it to me. You ever see that Mythbuster epasoide where they tryed to figure out what was starting those gas station fires? They tryed like hell to start a fire in a controlled enviorment. It never worked...thats because it's GOT to be the right Air/fuel mixture...usualy 14:7.1. It's not as easy lighting raw fuel as Holleywood would have you to believe. The fuel would just put the match out unless the right conditions where present.

The 14.7/1 ratio is known as stoichiometric ratio(hope I spelled it right .Just thought I would throw that in there.)Anyway I thought I would throw my 2 cents in about Nitro.I worked for one season on a NHRA TopFuel Dragster team as a cylinder head asst.(mainly did assembling at the shop and valve spring checks at the tracks) and I remember reading the 2 paragraph warning label on the side of a 55 gal drum.It basically talked about alot about cancer and blindness if it was consumed,but talked of severe liver and kidney damage if contacted with skin.Now remeber this was 100% Nitromethane so it is a bit more potent,I am sure though as with any % of nitro cotent damage can occur with long term exposure.Yada Yada Yada,I feel this a bunch of crap cause as with everything else the government allows in our food we are all DOOMED!!!!So lets tune 'em up and keep filling up our tanks with NITRO!!!!!!

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/n5740.htm

http://www.turbofast.com.au/racefuel6.html

Check these out for very useful info on nitro!!

Sorry for the:preachin:

by throwing the matc hat the gas, the match is most likely going out from wind or the impact of it hitting the ground. Gas will lightin almost all conditions.