Novarossi P5 questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I just won a used P5 on eBay and I have a few questions. The mill has 2 gallons on it, and I was wondering if this starter box would be able to start my engine with 2 7.2 volt sticks??

Also, is there anything I should do before I try and fire up the mill? I have no idea how it is tuned, so should I return it to factory settings? Which are?

Thanks for any help.

*Some of you may know I was thinking about selling my MP777, well I probably will be able to keep it :)*

I think it would do well. I see alot of guys on the grid like that box. I would return it to factory settings just to be safe. Also take it apart and make sure everything is ok internally.

Ok, do you happen to know the factory settings? I will take it apart tonight. So all I would need with that box is 2 7.2 volt sticks and its ready to go? If so I'll be gietting that, sounds like a good deal. I already have a charger for sticks too.

Any other thoughts! Hafta order it tonight, well not really but I want to get running ASAP :)

Novarossi does not provide factory settings with the P5. I would richen it up a turn or so on each needle and adjust from that point.

I run a RB 6 glow plug in my P5 and am happy with it. Some people run an RB 8. Depends on the outside temps. I run 30% in my engines

when you take your P5 apart make sure the piston is at TDC. If the piston is not at TDC and you try to pull off the backplate you can crack the piston. I learned this the hardway and now have a P5 with less than 2 gallons waiting for a new P/S.

Scott

Ok cool. I ded a search and CorradoPsi I think it was told someone a O'Donell #99 was a good plug so I ordered some of those, are they good? Ok I'll be sure to do that but I'm curious as to why it cracks? If I take off the heatsink first will I still have to worry about that?

Is it ok to run 20%? I have a gallon of Trinity MHP 20% that I'd like to use. I'm not racing and don't need max racing performance but if it will hurt the mill I'll run 30%. Thanks!

odonnel 99 is fine or a novarossi #5 or #6 plug RB's are the same as nova plugs btw. i wouldnt run the 20% as the engine is designed for 30%. for base settings 3 turns out on the hsn and 4 turns out on the lsn iirc.

the box you picked out is fine, but before you use it make sure the belt tension inside is tight, and check it for tension periodically or you will rip teeth off of it.

the reason you will break the piston, is because at BDC the skirt of the piston slides down inside a groove in the backplate, if you take the backplate off while the piston is interfering with it, the piston will break. so move the piston up to the top of the cylinder and then take the plate off.

Ok thanks Corrado, but would the 20% cause premature wear or hurt the engine in anyway? Will it cause denotation or something? Or is it just like 1:1 cars like putting regualr in a Ferrari? lol