My first NASCAR body (Lots of pics!)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Ok guys, I'm really proud of this cuz it's my first Nascar body. The progress was talked of in another (unrelated) thread but I wanted to show off the pics in a new thread so eveybody could see.

4622TonyStewartbody001.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody002.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody003.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody004.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody005.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody006.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody007.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody008.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody009.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody010.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody011.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody012.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody013.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody014.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody015.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody016.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody017.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody018.jpg

4622TonyStewartbody019.jpg

A #12 Ryan Newman Alltel Dodge is in the works... Hope ya like!

SWEET.. I likey. Makes me want an onroad car so i can do a rep of dale's car
and a jeff and ward burton (ward when in the 22 cat car) daytona winner

That looks so nice! I'd love to see that thing fly around a track.

maybe he'll get enough nerve to throw it while someone takes a picture of it LOL

Well Done Lessen!!

I'm no body/paint guy so I'll ask a stupid question. The decals, appear from the picture sequence to be on the outside of the shell, yet the finished product looks so smooth that it makes me think they are inside. So which is it??

Mr T

Great job Lessen! It looks awesome. What color orange did you use?, it looks exactly like home depot orange. Very nice job. I just finished a few nascar bodies myself, guess I need to post some pics now too. I love doing the nascar bodies. So wheres that Ryan Newman body?

Mr T-maxx- you are correct, the decals are on the outside

NCNitro- Actually, it's just straight up Fasorange and it's spot on the money. Most of those pics look very a little red but it's absolutely perfect in person. The Newman body is on my desk. It still needs to be painted and cut. I think I'm a little addicted actually. I think I might snatch up a few more sets that my LHS has. I also have a #8 set but finding or making the right red will be the main concern with that one.

that is really sweet paint job.
where do you get the NASCAR bodies? My friend is a transporter driver for a Busch team in NC and he would love these bodies on his R/C's.

that body is made by protoform. HPI also makes stock car bodies. My LHS generally keeps 1 in stock. The problem is that the company who makes (made) the decals no longer makes NASCAR decal sets. stupid liscensing.... :thumbdown

Lessen said:
that body is made by protoform. HPI also makes stock car bodies. My LHS generally keeps 1 in stock. The problem is that the company who makes (made) the decals no longer makes NASCAR decal sets. stupid liscensing.... :thumbdown

I heard that too. NASCAR made it too expensive.

Lessen said:
Mr T-maxx- you are correct, the decals are on the outside

I think I'm a little addicted actually. I think I might snatch up a few more sets that my LHS has. I also have a #8 set but finding or making the right red will be the main concern with that one.

I have a set of the Jr #8s too, as well as a few other decal sets. I have recently just done three different bodies, a Davey Allison 1989 Havoline Ford thunderbird, a 1999 Rusty Wallace Miller Lite Ford Taurus, and a 2000 Michael Waltrip Napa Monte Carlo. Do me a favor, when you go to your hobby shop, if you wouldn't mind, please see if they have a John Deere #97 Ford Taurus Chad Little slixx set. I have not had any luck finding a set and this is a body I really want to do. If they have one let me know and I will send you the cash.

DarthRacer said:

Yep, thats true. Slixx made awesome Nascar decal sets, but are no longer making them. You can thank Nascars greed for this, so once they are all gone, thats it. They are already starting to fetch some pretty hefty prices on flea bay. Especially drivers like Earnhardt, Earnhardt Jr. (seen a set of his go for $75) Gordon, and other big names.

I'll look for that set, they have quite a few sets but I don't recall off hand which ones. I know they have a sadler set for sure and maybe a Stewart set. I also remember seeing the michael waltrip set which I really want to do also.

$75? holy crap! that's crazy money for some decals. Guess I got a pretty good deal heh. :)

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

If you do the Michael Waltrip set, get the HPI Monte Carlo nascar, its a great body, the wheel outlines are clearly marked, and the decal set works great with the body.

I'm still looking for a set of Dale Jr's decals for my HPI Monte Carlo project for a friend at work. My LHS has a set of the Slixx UPS Dale Jarrett graphics if anyone needs them for a Taurus...

DarthRacer said:

Naw, Slixx whole market was 1/24 scale Nascar decals for plastic models. High end to low end diecast and video games has crippled the plastics market.

I used to sell tons of plastic, cases of any new Revell/Mono Nascar kit the day it was released. Today if you could move 6 pieces of any Nascar kit in a week, you're really doing something. With this the aftermarket decal business went down hill fast. I would move a minimum 100 pieces of 1/24 Slixx stuff a week. Now I know of suppliers with thousands of sets sitting collecting dust.

The only market that kept them in nascar decals was 10th scale oval. At the local level this is a dead horse at the moment also, no market, no sales, no reason to purchase the licensing.

that is a sweet body it makes me want to make one. I'm big T.S. fan

I'd say its time to talk the wife into an oval car Lessen! Great job!

Silent said:
I'd say its time to talk the wife into an oval car Lessen! Great job!

eh.. I'm not really a fan of electric. Nothing against 'em, they just don't do it for me. I think I'm addicted to the smell of nitro... I know there's a carpet track down in Akron somewhere but I'm not sure of any outdoor nitro ovals

Back