Things You Should Know About The Prp Swift 1/8 Scale

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixer Jay

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
As for the Swift I can tell you everything you need to know about the car.. I had the car for about a month and then decided to sell it because of a lot of little problems the car has..( now I bought a Mugen MBX5 ) Don't let me fool you though.. Its a good car for the price, but for the type of racing I do it just wasn't for me.. The time I owned the car I delt with PRP and one of the factory drivers for the Swift.. I went through all the problems that they have, but still there are a few problems that are still existing until they release the updated parts which will not be available till sometime this summer.. Here are the problems with the car.. I'll list them in two catagories.. OOTBP ( out of the box problems ) and RP ( racing problems ).. I'm not sure if you are going to race or not but here are the problems with the Swift..

OOTBP:

Diffs - The diffs need to be shimmed tighter so the the internal spyder gears don't get stripped out.. You have to use Mugen part number CO227 to shim the diffs correctly.. Here are the instructions for doing this..INSTRUCTIONS

Universal Drive Shafts - The outdrives need to be taken apart and rebuilt to keep them from falling apart when being used.. What you have to do is remove one of the two set screws that hold the drive pin in place..( they are just like normal CVD's just smaller and with two set screws instead of one ) They have had the pins falling out because of the pressure from the two screws.. Also make sure you Lock Tight the one set screw when re-installing it.. For extra measure I knotched the drive pin with a dremel so that the set screw has a flat spot to ride on.. PRP now makes flat spotted drive pins as a afterman item..

Outdrives - The diff outdrives are NOT hardened metal and they get very knotchy after about half gallon of fuel.. The new updated outdrives are not yet available, but will be later this summer.. I have delt with ROGER at PRP and he knows about the problem..( PRP 408-988-1188 ) He sent me an extra pair of outdrives.. Just give him a call.. He should be able to help you.. Just ripping the outdrives out of the car can be a pain when your doing it every half of a gallon.. Also when the Outdrives get knotched they can wear out the pin on the Universal bone, so keep an eye on those cause those may need to be replaced soon.. I did mine after the second set..

Stock RTR Motor - I never delt with the stock motor cause I purchased mine without one, but the Stock motor has bearing problems, runs hot, and is very hard to tune from all the guys that I have talked to that have the stock RTR motor..

RP:

Shocks - As you know the car is very bouncy out of the box.. For a back yard guy its probably ok, but its just like a problem on the track.. I rebuilt mine and they were good to go after.. Here is the best set up I have found with the shocks.. Although it may differ to your driving style.. These are all Kyosho parts and part #'s.. All parts are a PERFECT fit, but the only thing you have to do is drill a bigger hole in the shock pistons center hole where the shock shaft mounts to the piston..

1. Kyosho Front Spring Short Blue Soft - IFW032BL
kyoc3052_large.jpg

2. Kyosho Rear Spring Long Blue Soft - IFW033BL
kyoc3054_large.jpg

3. Kyosho Diaphragm Set - BSW032
kyoc3307_large.jpg

4. Kyosho Shock Piston 1.3mm 2-Hole - IFW019 ( all four shocks )
kyoc5683_large.jpg

5. Kyosho Shock Boots - BSW078
kyoc5689_large.jpg

One other tip you might wanna do while you have the shocks all apart is put Associated Green Slime between the shock seals and spacers in the bottom of the shock.. It'll help seal up the shock and help prevent leaking..
[/img]http://gixerjay.mypicgallery.com/gixerspics/9_large.jpg[/img]

Front Suspention Pivot Balls - The pivot balls can pop out of the front knuckle after hitting a big jump.. The pivot balls they used are very small and under high load they can come out of the knuckle.. There are no release on larger pivot balls and knuckles, but the Swift Pro will be out later this summer and is suppose to have updated ones.. The Swift Pro will also be a Build It Yourself Kit.. Not a RTR..

Front bumper - The one that comes on the car digs like a snow plow and the bumper from the GS Storm fits nice with some slight engineering..

As for bodies the Proline Mugen Crowd Pleaser body fits perfect and mounts nice.. On a couple positive notes.. First, the tires that come with the car are just like Crime Fighters and will work fine on most tracks.. Second the car comes with a really nice radio that is more than good enough for the car.. All though the stock servos don't work very good for the vehicle in steering and for throttle/brakes..

Hope this all helps guys.. And this is not a bash thread for the Swift.. Just info I felt like I should pass on to all you guys thinking about buying a Swift and may already have one and don't wanna read 60 pages of info..

Good call Jay... good informative post. This is a perfect "this is what needs to be done" post that explains just about everything that would normaly take you about an hour of digging in the other Swift post for. Bravo brotha'. I'm sure this won't be taken as a bash either, it is merely informative.:clap: :smoke:

I agree, good info. The only thing, I have never had a problem with the stock engine. Mine has been very easy to tune and has kept a tune very consistantly. I've had it since December and ran about 5 gals of nitro. :redbuggy:

Everything else is absolutely acurate. (at least with mine)

Thats cool.. Like I said I never ran the stock motor, but from just what a good 2 dozon people have told me they have had problems..

Sounds like you have a keeper..

The swift is still a cool buggy for the price still! You always get a few problems on a RC you upgrade asnd break again! But nice that you have pointed out the problems and what tp correct them with! Well done Jay!

Gixer: Now you have a mbx5. Dont you think it has its flaws to? Just like the kanai III ?

I bet you can make an even list on those 2 top cars. Not one buggy is perfect out of the box :)

Originally posted by multipasser
Gixer: Now you have a mbx5. Dont you think it has its flaws to? Just like the kanai III ?

I bet you can make an even list on those 2 top cars. Not one buggy is perfect out of the box :)

I spent all last week building the Mugen, and found no problems with it..

Raced the first leg of the MGR ( Michigan Gas Racers ) series, and walked away with winning the A-Main.. :winnar: The new Mugen was flawless.. Even in the 30 minute main.. I went over the entire car yesterday and no problems were found.. So far the Mugen has been bullet proof..:)

The only problem I have ever read about with the Mugen is that the diffs leak, but I double checked mine after this past weekend and they were bone dry..

As for the Kyosho.. I don't know anything about them.. Like I said this is not a thread to bash the Swift.. Its just info I think all of you should know.. There are corrective methods for everything just getting your hands on some of the parts are impossible..

Congrats on your finish J... you deserve it.

Thanks guys very much. This is really informative and will help current and new swift owners. I was talking with WA2FAST a few hours ago and I wished that I can hang out with such a cool bunch of people. Maybe one day, we all can hang out under a e-z up at some big race and have a beer together.

All of the issues above have been addressed and resolved. Its just a matter of time of when things are taken into action. Myself and other technicians are currently shimming all swifts, changing out the pins to the new notched pin, and loc-tite the existing screws. So far, we are almost done with the remaining kits we have left here in the company. Lots of work, but it'll get done ( even if I have to do every kit myself ).

Gixer Jay -------> :wasted: <-------- Roger
WA2FAST --------> :cheers: <--------- Cameron

And to everybody else.............:thankyou:

Last edited:
Then there is a bunch of drunks under a e-z up at a big race doing this-------->
dance.gif

LOL:banana: :banana:

Originally posted by Gixer Jay
Then there is a bunch of drunks under a e-z up at a big race doing this--------&gt;
dance.gif

LOL:banana: :banana:

Haha, hells yeah... :beer: First round is on me guys... all of you there at happytime are awesome, Roger, you're the man! I'd definitely buy the first round for everyone... real cool croud of guys if you threw all of us together :smoke: :cheers: :wasted: <---- but I must say, that would probibly end up being me :whistle:

Now that's the way to start off in the morning; laughter :) You guys are cranking me up :w00t:

I know! That little animation is hilarious. Your morning starts at 2pm?!!!?? Kidding... you live in beautiful weather unlike us. Lucky you :no_commen

Hell yeah.. Hook me up with a 6 of Heineken or Sam Adams..:)

On a lighter note I wanted to add to the top list.. Sorry, my bad..

Front GS Storm Bumper - Part #GSCST013

Need more steering?? Use the MBX-4 part number C0154.. The stock arms make the car push and the Mugen arms take out some of the caster to give the car more steering..

Thats everything off of my list for the Swift.. Car is dialed after all that for the track..:):)

You just explained my car to a T. That's what you need to do... you do all of that, and you're money.:ale: :worship:

That is UNTIL the new hardened outdrives come out..

Then your MONEY!!

Yeah... add that to the list... but they aren't out yet and who knows when they will be... just hope that the dogbone end of the CVJ doesn't get worn out in the meantime... they really need to do something about that. When the outdrives wear, they will start to wear the pin down because the pin will start contacting the outdrive on the very end of it... not good.

Back