THREE MODS THAT KEEP COMING UP (MP Servo Saver, 4 Spider Mod, Ofna Linkage Mod)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMaxx

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some must have mods (MP Servo Saver, 4 Spider, and Linkage)

There are three questions that seem to come up quite often with respect to the Savage. What is the MP Servo Saver Mod and how do I do it? What is the 4 spider differential mod and how do I do it? What is the linkage mod and how do I do it?

In an effort to find the information, I searched our site and found some good information both on the site and linked to in a few threads. So, for those of you who do not know how the search function works...here's some great information.

MP Servo Saver Mod
===============
I came across this recent addition to our write ups. Nicely done, Digital Liquid.

CLICK HERE for the write up on the MP Servo Saver mod.

4 Spider Mod
===============
Digital Liquid has been busy writing up great things to do. Here is his write up on the 4 Spider Mod, CLICK HERE

I, also, found these links to other site's write ups on the 4 spider mod. Great information with pictures to help you along the way.

CLICK HERE for the write up on the 4 Spider Mod at Savage Unleashed.

And another good article on the Spider Mod (sorry no pictures in this one)
CLICK HERE for the write up on the 4 Spider Mod at Savage Central

Ofna Throttle/Brake Linkage Mod
========================
I came across this link to a thread on the topic of linkage modification. Includes pictures and part numbers.

CLICK HERE for a write up on the Ofna throttle/brake linkage mod.

Last edited:
Nice links Sky, I will be doing a write-up on the spider mod along w/ a new twist on the linkage mod. I should have it posted by next week.

Later....

This just in...

HPI is coming out with an all in one 4 gear spider mod upgrade. Check their new products page CLICK HERE. Scroll down about 1/3 of the page.

Tower Hobbies expects them in mid November.

says the gears are revised for more durability. so far the only gears that seem to somewhat hold are the hpi ones..if these are stronger that would be nice.

the mp servo saver mod is dead. I need that.

Hmmm...that is interesting. The link you provided and the one I have up top are one and the same. I updated it when PiErow noted the faulty link in November. Are you certain you are showing the link above to be dead?

The MP servo saver mod was dead for some time now when I click on it, it takes me to the diff mod. The link for it in wingsplittahs post works though.

Sky, what happened to the pics that go along w/ the write-up? Seeing some pics does make it easier to follow along.

Bugnout...after re-looking at it, you are correct. Darn re-directs. The link is updated and correct. Some changes were made when WoodiE went and upgraded the site...and some things got lost in the wash, some things just got plain mucked up. Again, thanks for pointing out the fact that the link was a re-direct, and thanks to the wigsplittah for pointing out the correct link.

As for the images, DL, still waiting on WoodiE to get things sorted out on his end. He is updating to some new-fangled software and the images are on hold untill he has it all sorted out. I am assured by him that they will be coming SOON.

so has anyone tried this ofna linkage mod?

done it:
man response with the springs is unridiculous
attachment.php

Last edited:
I am currently doing the Spider diff mod, and had a question (I'm using Digital Liquids step by step.. Awesome by the way) Anyway, the question I had was, do I need a new housing for the 4 gears or does a person use the stock one? The one I have seems more rounded out where the extra pins need to go, and this one below seems more notched out and set up for it. I didnt see it on the needed parts, so I figured Id ask. Thanks

thumb-step21.jpg

If the sides of the diff cup walls are worn or rounded I'd go with brand new cups. Any slop in there is going to directly effect wear on the spider gears.

While you have it apart I'd pick up some aluminum cups. I like the ones Nova offers, 7075 aluminum and about $45 a pair. Much better price than maximizers. I'm sure Bruce could hook ya up.

If you have ran it much the slots are wore where the axles go. Puts more stress on the other 2. Could put it back if you were in a hurry.

I threw mine together and they lasted a year? Had to do them over. I don't run as much as most of you, though.

I have less than a gallon on it so it isnt ALOT but its gettin there. Once I got it all cleaned up I think I got it figured out. Looks alot better now I got all the gunk out of there.. When a person does the spider diffs, they usually do the front AND rear or just normally the rear?

Last edited:
4u2nv said:
I have less than a gallon on it so it isnt ALOT but its gettin there. Once I got it all cleaned up I think I got it figured out. Looks alot better now I got all the gunk out of there.. When a person does the spider diffs, they usually do the front AND rear or just normally the rear?
Do both bro. You got it apart anyway...
I think my front went out first.

allright. Ill have to order another set. I just got one set. (there was nothing wrong with my diffs now, I just wanted to get it done in the down time) Thanks Dig

Yeah, when it comes to gears, I was told to replace all as a worn out gear will trash the new gear quick. I have always followed this advice.

BTW, I have the 4 gear diff mod. MY savage already had it installed from the factory. However, with a .28 and about 2 gallons, I ripped the rear out.

Back