The first shell I've ever painted :D

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

override

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys I had a blank shell laying around off a savage I recently picked up from frickenjoey and after my T-Maxx rebuild I decided to try my hand at rattle can paint. I went and bought the bare necessary supplies I needed. I started about 3:00 pm today taping and marking off the body and figuring out how I was going to lay the paint. I was completely done with the paint job at 8:00 pm tonight and had stickers on by 9:00 pm.

I cut stars in the side windows but the one on the driverside is actually there for a purpose. I cut it out for an access hole to the fuel tank so I won't be having to take the body out to refuel everytime.

The truck is still lacking front and rear lights (If anyone has some spares that would fit this body that would be awesome!!!) and it still seems kind of bare. I wish FLM had stickers, I would slap a big one on the top of the cab. I ran out of punisher skull stickers or that would of went on the scoop.

Lemme know what you think guys, the lines are not perfect but I didn't have the greatest knife. I was using a utility blade to cut the lines, time to buy a new hobby knife set as mine are barely sharp enough to cut smoothly.

I'm also still trying to figure out if I want to leave the checkers on the sides, not sure if I like the way it looks or not. :hehe:

72_zps907a1927.jpg

73_zps22cb96eb.jpg

74_zpsf3044e4b.jpg

75_zpsdcff5cfd.jpg

76_zps150382b6.jpg

77_zpsa403f03a.jpg

79_zps6bfa51c9.jpg

80_zpsc0cbbe9f.jpg

81_zps6d007314.jpg

82_zps55faa6c8.jpg

83_zps2d85aadd.jpg

84_zps0843f3fd.jpg

85_zpsecd17991.jpg

86_zps99473365.jpg

87_zps4d8f6ff7.jpg

88_zps5dc8a1e4.jpg

89_zpsf338b86e.jpg

90_zpsd5d62fd2.jpg

91_zps61757754.jpg

92_zpscfef8d4f.jpg

93_zpsc670d06e.jpg

94_zps415ca94b.jpg

95_zpsce4282b1.jpg

96_zps857d0865.jpg

97_zpse4889af0.jpg

98_zpsa38222e7.jpg

99_zps9657bf06.jpg

100_zpse24837b8.jpg

101_zps603abda9.jpg

102_zps2a544505.jpg

103_zpsce4c7eec.jpg

104_zps4736c154.jpg

105_zps1f72f6bb.jpg

GREAT JOB! love the color scheme !!!!!!

I was gonna do the bumpers in chrome but decided I would rather not go for that look....Anyone have any headlight and tailight stickers?

Thanks for the comments :) The baja 5B body will be next

Last edited:
Oh man she looks good, I have a similar scheme on my Revo.

Looks good, but one word of caution, where you cut the stars out on the windows you are asking for trouble. A few good flips and that body is going to start tearing in the corners.

Oh man she looks good, I have a similar scheme on my Revo.

Thanks! I took her out yesterday and was gonna get a video of the maxx running but I started having problems with the tune on that new pipe I had. I could get it dialed in fairly close but the idle kept hanging really bad and then for some reason my carb throttle slide is still binding. Back to the work bench to figure out what the issue is. The checkered stickers ended up peeling up so I took em of. Also the pipe started melting the blue part so I had to cut it out. Still looks good, hopefully I can get it back up and a video made :\

Peeling the body mask for the first time is magic. It never gets old. Great job!

It was the best part I have to say, I was very wary of what the end results were gonna be like. As soon as I got half a corner peeled up I knew right away I was wrong. It was nice peeling it back and seeing that shine!

Sorry. It turns out I have 2 different sized headlights (1 of each) and only 1 tailight.

No problem man, thanks for looking!

Looks good, but one word of caution, where you cut the stars out on the windows you are asking for trouble. A few good flips and that body is going to start tearing in the corners.

I know that any sharp corner like that will cause a run in the lexan, similar to when I built airplanes. Any kind of area where you have a sharp corner cut out you are required to file it with a rat tail file. Any kind of run in the sheet metal you must stop drill it to eliminate the run. I did the same with the corner of the star. Rat tail file round at the tip and then file it down to match on the sides.

yup, its just like putting on the clear over ur base coat on ur first big paint job. Or maybe like christmas morning!! I'm not sure if I'm more addicted to painting bodys or rc in general. I have 5 revo bodys now and 2 revos, all good shape but just get bored of them fast. Thankfully the other guys in our race club i guess u would call it arnt into painting so i do all theres also. Nice job on the first lid.Just try something different and harder everytime and ur limits are endless.

I wish I had even the slightest of painting skills. Looks good!

I wish I had even the slightest of painting skills. Looks good!

Hi,
I haven't yet done the El Camino body I've had an idea or two for.
But if if turns out 1/5th as good, heck, even 1/8th and I'll be 99.999% happy.
Very nice

Chas

Thanks guys, the body has seen some carnage and has several cracks in it now. The first time I wrecked after I painted it was a stab to the chest lmao. I was like "NOO !*#$@$$*@, why do I suck at driving !@%$#%@#"

Ya i know how ya feel!!! Thats why they make new ones.