HPI Nitro Monster King Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hpi-nitro-king-action.jpg

If you thought there was nothing else HPI could do to improve the Wheely King, you're wrong - introducing the HPI NITRO King! Based on the popular HPI Wheely King platform, HPI has added the thrills and sounds of nitro power to create a medium sized monster truck that can go from car crushing stadium monster truck action to grueling...

Click to continue

I wish i could say that i was a fan of this thing but I'm not.... Where to start: The location that the motor is mounted makes room for almost zero airflow, which inturn will cause your motor to over heat. The original RTR wheelie king was already as unstable as possible due to its extremely high center of gravity, and weight moved toward the rear of the vehicle. This setup looks as if as soon as you punch the throttle, it will just go belly up. Also, in the air it just seems as though it would be damn near impossible to control. I think it is hularious that they say in the add, "realistic sound with a .15 motor" realistic? I've never heard a real MT sound like a pissed off mosquito on crack.....

The only thing i can give props to HPI for with this one, is the .15 motor. Thank god they didnt try to stuff a .18 or something like that into this 1/12 scale "Monster" truck.

I think it is hularious that they say in the add, "realistic sound with a .15 motor" realistic? I've never heard a real MT sound like a pissed off mosquito on crack...

I have to admit, I laughed at that comment. :hehe:

Dont get me wrong, i love the sound of a nitro engine running, whether it is at idle, or at WOT, but for HPI to say "realistic sound", that is just a lil far fetched to me.

My first thought was WTF is up with the front tires? They look like the plastic tires on my kids Tonka truck, I honestly dont see how they could grip anything. I guess this would be cool if it was 1/5 scale, and had a gas engine and so on, would look like a scaler, but as it sits I see it on its lid more than anything.

-AxialLST

The whole point of the front tires IS so that they offer LESS grip. Otherwise the truck is even more prone to traction rolling. I actually like this truck and have been hoping they would offer this in nitro version.. However, I would prefer to yank out the .15 and stuff my 4-stroke in there. Then I could actually have that "realistic sound".

Ok Lessen has a point with the 4 stroke might be cool.... I posted this one up a month or so ago when I first saw it on the HPI sight but I am still just not feeling it.

Not to start any argument or anything, I see your point with the front tires, but I am pretty sure they would go pretty quick in favor of different tires that look better when in the hands of an average rc enthusiast. I do like how the truck actually somewhat looks like an actual MT, with long shocks and the v style frame, but again I just can't get past the front tires. I guess when it comes to spending 500$ on a new rig I tend to steer towards looks more than functionality, call me superficial :hehe:. I do think a 4 stroke would sound great in this rig though, don't 4 strokes make more bottom end torque though, resulting in backflipping wheelies? Funny thing though if I had a 1000hp monster truck and it sounded like an HPI .15 engine I would ask for my money back lol.

-AxialLST

don't 4 strokes make more bottom end torque though, resulting in backflipping wheelies? -AxialLST

You can just gear it up. They also dont' make the rpms of a 2-stroke so you'd need a lower gear ratio anyways to balance out the acceleration and speed.

That's cool, I have never messed with a 4 stroke before, I have just seen them on shelves and heard them in planes. I wonder why 4 strokes havn't taken off in the rc car world.

-AxialLST

I've had one for a while but havn't run it yet. I bought it for my funny car dragster but that project has been put on hold so I could finish up other things. I'm not sure why 4-strokes havn't taken off. Most likely because 2-strokes are simpler and make more rpms so you really don't have to mess with transmissions. Of course MT's still have multi-speed tranny's but even 1:8 buggies and 1:10 trucks would need at least a 2-speed to have both the acceleration and top speed that a 2-stroke can provide. The downsides of a 4-stroke far outweigh the upsides I think. However, I also believe that if 4-strokes were R&D'd the way 2-strokes are then we would see engines that are far superior than what is currently on the market. Since demand isn't that high neither is the need to put that much effort into their engineering, at least as far as surface 4-strokes are concerned.

ill wait for the price to drop and get me one. i actully like the nitro set up.

How cheap do you think they will get? R/C's generally don't drop significantly in price from when they are debuted. There are exceptions but few and far between. You might see it $10 cheaper somewhere else or after three or four months.

after a couple mounths my hobby shop will put it on sell. you pay dealers price

i have a wheely king but i put a brushless system on it and it rips... the only thing i didn't like is when i had the stock 27turn motor in it i kept on breaking the rear axles so i got the one peice shafts have no broke one sence then... i will do 35-40 MPH with out breaking a sweat... i use 7cell 4600mah rocket packs its a blast in the mud and sand...

Wow lots of hatin' on here with this truck haha. Well I got mine a few weeks back to add to the collection. Absolutely love this thing. It's a blast. Just don't be an idiot and expect it to handle like a Savage. It's a SAS truck. Crawling, bashing, mud, snow, high climbs is it's thing. For all around bashing and something that looks different from the crowd of norm, it's perfect. It doesn't do wheel stands like the wheely king, it has a longer wheel base and is fairly stable. Took off that horrid lookin wheely bar, swapped out the stock front tires, trimmed the exhaust pipe back and put on some Integy Piggybacks.

Sorry for the dirty pics, didn't get a chance to clean it up.

339ok1c.jpg

10ol8p0.jpg

2igll5f.jpg

2rqkjdx.jpg

35ba4x5.jpg

Cool Mudtrucker! I'm not a fan of Integy shocks but they certainly look right at home on that truck. Can you get some video of that? I'd love to see it run!

Back