Read This Before You Drive YOUR RCs In The Cold

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinoffi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Greetings everyone. I am posting this as a tip to you. DO NOT DRIVE RCs IN THE COLD IF YOUR WALLET ISN'T PREPARED. I just want to let you know this because I just destroyed $30 worth of parts within 3 minutes, on my Losi Mini 8ight Buggy. I snapped a front RPM a-arm, broke the front caster, and snapped my wing within 3 minutes of going out in -2 degree C weather. Driving in winter (snow + cold) requires more maintenance done on your RC than is worth it, for the amount of actual runtime you get. LiPos will freeze, bearings and hardware will rust, and plastics will snap if you aren't careful, and don't do enough maintenance. It is NOT worth driving in the cold. -Just wait until summer.

My 2 cents. :thumbs-up:

Last edited:
That's crazy talk! :)

2005-1204-RevoSnowDayTop.jpg

2005-0105-SavageSnowSide.jpg

As long as you don't go for big air and smack into inanimate objects, your ok for the most part. I never cared much for running nitro in the winter. Too annoying to tune. Now that I have brushless, if it's warmer than 20F out and I have time, I run! I just don't hit the jumps like I do in the summer.

Funny story about a former neighbor of mine who used to own a small hobby shop. It was really cold out and he brought his T-Maxx outside to run it around while he was idling a brand new one for a customer's break-in. Well, about the third tank of the new one sitting there idling, he lost control of his on the gravel driveway and skidded into the brand new one. I sure felt bad that I couldn't stop laughing, but it was absolutely incredible to watch 2 T-Maxxs absolutely explode into tiny crispy cold chunks. :hehe:

Funny story about a former neighbor of mine who used to own a small hobby shop. It was really cold out and he brought his T-Maxx outside to run it around while he was idling a brand new one for a customer's break-in. Well, about the third tank of the new one sitting there idling, he lost control of his on the gravel driveway and skidded into the brand new one. I sure felt bad that I couldn't stop laughing, but it was absolutely incredible to watch 2 T-Maxxs absolutely explode into tiny crispy cold chunks. :hehe:
Ouch! :woot:

Did you at least offer to polish and wax the pieces, @Rolex?

Back