Confused, not sure what to do!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpontaniousCombustion

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

A few months back I purchased a HoBao RTR Cage Nitro car and had a few problems getting it started when it first arrived so naturally, I took it to my local RC shop and asked them for help and they turn the tuning needles and managed to get it running which I thought was great. I ran 2 tanks of fuel with the car as it still required breaking in but noticed that there was always smoke coming out of the engine surly this isn't good for a new engine as if it was running lean.

I got it back out the other day after a few months and was looking in the manual to see if it could help me and I did however stumble across the factory settings for the carb. I was wondering if you guys think I should reset them to factory and see how it runs then, but then what if it doesn't run at all then. It also states in the manual that because it's a 28. engine it should be running on a 30% Nitro mix but the shop said that an 18% mix would do. I am confused at what fuel I am to use also.

I hope you can help and I'm happy to give more information if needed.

Thank you.

@SpontaniousCombustion I would break in the engine using the fuel you plan on using. I would also agree with the LHS, 18% will work just fine. In fact an 18-20% fuel will be easier to tune than a 30%, and the lower percentage also offers more protection for your nitro engine.

@SpontaniousCombustion I would break in the engine using the fuel you plan on using. I would also agree with the LHS, 18% will work just fine. In fact an 18-20% fuel will be easier to tune than a 30%, and the lower percentage also offers more protection for your nitro engine.
Hi WoodIE it’s nice to hear from you again and thank for you replying to this thread. Okay I’ll carry on using a 20% nitro mix as this is a good number to run on I think. Also, what do you mean by LHS?

Hi WoodIE it’s nice to hear from you again and thank for you replying to this thread. Okay I’ll carry on using a 20% nitro mix as this is a good number to run on I think. Also, what do you mean by LHS?

First of all ,its good to have a nice little trail of smoke in which its normal ,an should run
the engine on alittle on the rich side until the engine is broke in!

LHS means local hobby shop!....:p

First of all ,its good to have a nice little trail of smoke in which its normal ,an should run
the engine on alittle on the rich side until the engine is broke in!

LHS means local hobby shop!....:p
Hi Cbaker65 I’m going to give it a go on Saturday afternoon and I will repost on here about what happens and I will also try and richen the engine a little bit more if it needs it.

Thank you

Back