Asphalt tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conquesttsi87

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Looking for options/opinions for running my NTC3 on fresh asphalt. Just bashing and rippin around. I was looking at the HPI super nitro black mesh wheels, but looks like they only support slicks. Want treaded rubber (I think) but want wider than the standard 26mm (mostly for looks)!! What does everyone think?
Thanks

Looking for options/opinions for running my NTC3 on fresh asphalt. Just bashing and rippin around. I was looking at the HPI super nitro black mesh wheels, but looks like they only support slicks. Want treaded rubber (I think) but want wider than the standard 26mm (mostly for looks)!! What does everyone think?
Thanks

Its hard to find treased tires & wheels wider than 26 mm ,Hpi use to produce the vintage ones that
were 31mm ,but don't know if they are produced any more ,I had bought 2 sets of them about
10 years ago ,when I replaced them ,I went with the foams for more traction an the width.

Heres what I went with ,the rear is very wide ,I think 40mm!

sany0013-jpg.jpg

cbaker65 is that an ERCM pipe I spy? I've been wanting one of those pipes and ordered one from Robin 3 months ago but never got the final order confirmation. If it's not what brand is that?

cbaker65 is that an ERCM pipe I spy? I've been wanting one of those pipes and ordered one from Robin 3 months ago but never got the final order confirmation. If it's not what brand is that?

I don't know the brand of the pipe ,but I believe its for marine engine ,could be KB or another ,
I'm quite sure it was one for under 20 bucks.

I didn't build this car ,a friend of mine did that was based on his car!
The car is what you call the nasty 1/10 scale with a Hyper 21 B-block ,It literely burns up tires
like theres no tomorrow!...

Heres the tires an brand name ,The 40mm 's could be trimmed down on the outer edge
to suit your width ,theres plenty of wheel there!

New_wheels._001.jpg

New_wheels._002.jpg

You have a touring car, and as such need to run touring car wheels and tires or you're going to have rubbing issues. 24mm - 26mm s the common touring car tire size. Also, foams won't last long at all on asphalt if you're just running around and playing. They are designed for concrete and carpet tracks. Back when I was into touring cars, and did a lot of parking lot racing (read lots of dirt, dust, and debris), I was a big fan of the HPI treaded tires. Some tread on the tire helps deal with dust and dirt. I'd usually get a couple months of running two or three days a week out of them.

You have a touring car, and as such need to run touring car wheels and tires or you're going to have rubbing issues. 24mm - 26mm s the common touring car tire size. Also, foams won't last long at all on asphalt if you're just running around and playing. They are designed for concrete and carpet tracks. Back when I was into touring cars, and did a lot of parking lot racing (read lots of dirt, dust, and debris), I was a big fan of the HPI treaded tires. Some tread on the tire helps deal with dust and dirt. I'd usually get a couple months of running two or three days a week out of them.
I definitely don't want foam, and what you're saying is that I'm stuck with 26mm as a max width! What about the vintage 31mm treaded tires, will I have issues with rubbing or will a 3mm offset help with that? What surface are the slicks used for mostly, I'm assuming concrete correct?

If you're running a vintage body, then they should clear, but I can't be sure as I've never ran any vintage stuff so I have no advice about that. Slicks can be ran on concrete or asphalt, but you have to decide which compound to run based on the roughness / grip of the surface you'll be running on. Run a soft slick on rough asphalt and they'll get chewed up pretty quickly.

The issue I had on rub was not on a body ,it was the front turn buckle on the inside of the rim ,I cleaned that up with a little
shaving!

No small block engine is going to wear out a foam tire than a hyper 21 ,my tires are still in great condition an get plenty
run time ,way better than a treaded rubber!!!!!...:stick:

I eat rubber up in in a couple hours for dessert!...:cheers:

Don't forget that foam is available in a wide variety of compounds to help mate with the running surfaces.

Back