New to hobby, getting a team losi rc 8eight mini

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtohobby

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to rc and am planning to get a team losi rc 8eight mini and I just want to know how to keep it in a great condition how to know if I'm doing good or bad how to treat my batteries in a good condition and all the basic stuff that I don't know .

Welcome to the forum. What got you interested in this hobby(I'm sure we'd al like to hear about it). To me one of the most important and usually overlooked thing is to clean your RC after every run with cleaners that don't harm plastics(a fast drying cleaner is best). If you need to spray anything near the electronics make sure it's electronic safe or at least cover the electronics so they don't get wet. After every run inspect everything to make sure nothing is loose. Also check for any binding on parts that should freely move. As far as batteries make sure you charge or discharge them according to the manufactured recommendations using the correct type of charger. I use tire dressing on the tires when I'm storing them for awhile to ensure the rubber don't dry out and crack. If you run your RC a lot I would periodically check the shock fluid, make sure diffs are lubricated, lubricate tranny of required by manufacturer, check all wiring on all electronics after every run to ensure all wiring is intact (no loose connections or frayed wires). Keep wiring neat and in order and make sure they don't touch anything that moves(drivetrain parts for example). Don't over gear or under gear your motor. I'm sure there's a lot more I didn't list here and I'm sure you'll get more tips from the other members.

Welcome to the forum. What got you interested in this hobby(I'm sure we'd al like to hear about it). To me one of the most important and usually overlooked thing is to clean your RC after every run with cleaners that don't harm plastics(a fast drying cleaner is best). If you need to spray anything near the electronics make sure it's electronic safe or at least cover the electronics so they don't get wet. After every run inspect everything to make sure nothing is loose. Also check for any binding on parts that should freely move. As far as batteries make sure you charge or discharge them according to the manufactured recommendations using the correct type of charger. I use tire dressing on the tires when I'm storing them for awhile to ensure the rubber don't dry out and crack. If you run your RC a lot I would periodically check the shock fluid, make sure diffs are lubricated, lubricate tranny of required by manufacturer, check all wiring on all electronics after every run to ensure all wiring is intact (no loose connections or frayed wires). Keep wiring neat and in order and make sure they don't touch anything that moves(drivetrain parts for example). Don't over gear or under gear your motor. I'm sure there's a lot more I didn't list here and I'm sure you'll get more tips from the other members.
Thank you , in respond to your question is that when I was about 10 I saw a rc car which now that I know what they are it was nitro not sure the brand but yea . Then from there I had interest in rc cars but I never paid attention to them till like 2 months ago. I started to do research and watch YouTube videos of the cars which got more into rc. At firsts I wanted to get a X-ray xb8 but then after a month I notice I am not ready for a car like that and that I should start from the basic a rtr electric car . Then that's when I did investigation on the car .I searched online to get any tips or stuff to do as a first rc car . Then I found this website with all these people and positive energy hoping to learn something before getting my car ,so far I think I'm like at 40% of knowledge and hoping to reach 100%

If you are mechanicaly inclined or have basic wrenching experience on real cars I would tackle a build kit. The best way to learn about your RC rig is to assemble it yourself. Even if you get a RTR I would recommend you do a thorough inspection at the very least or better yet go through a complete tear down and rebuild. Sometimes RTR kits may have issues since not every build is inspected and some kits may be below standard as far as how they were put together.

If you are mechanicaly inclined or have basic wrenching experience on real cars I would tackle a build kit. The best way to learn about your RC rig is to assemble it yourself. Even if you get a RTR I would recommend you do a thorough inspection at the very least or better yet go through a complete tear down and rebuild. Sometimes RTR kits may have issues since not every build is inspected and some kits may be below standard as far as how they were put together.
Thanks for the support but what do you think should be a good way to take care of batteries ,and also how to tell if a car performance is going bad or to keep it good ,specially wheels how to know when to change them or how to take care of parts like the servo or radio , what does 2 channel or 3 channel mean ,stuff like that is the things that I am trying to master down. Simple stuff like that .

Channels on receivers mean you have input plugs to accommodate servos and if you have a Telemetry(temperature probes, RPM sensors, electrical voltage sensors)equipped radio just to name a few things those channels can accommodate. For batteries it's best to get a real good charger. I have a SkyRC IMAX B6 V2 that I got for less than $70. It's best to charge them as slow as possible and minimize fast charging. Heat is the number one enemy for batteries. So store them in the coolest place in your house if possible. Most likely avoid storing them in your garage. For LiPos you have to keep them inside a special sleeve for safety. For tires when you notice that your rig is uncontrollable compared to when it was newer it's a pretty good indication you need to replace the tires. As far as performance it's a good rule of thumb that if you hear something weird then you need to stop running your gear and inspect everything. The rig should run smooth without hesitation. It should roll freely and suspension shouldn't have any binding. The more you run your rig the more you'll get to know how it should behave and it will be like instinct to know when something is wrong. This hobby can be expensive as such I would upgrade when things break and they will regardless how careful you are regardless if you're running an on-road or off-road rig.

So channels on receivers are like the brakes which is one channel , reverse which is the a second channel and so on . Or is it like a control place where you add extra features to the car that got to be connected to receivers to work . Also what's a servo is it the same thing ?

Servos are motors with gears that rotate to control movement from left to right usually 180 degrees. Brakes, throttle(on Nitro and gas rigs)and steering(both electric, Nitro and gas). For some advanced receivers and controllers like the one I have you can program each channel and customize its functions to what you need. For example Ch 3 can be assigned for 2nd steering servo for rear steering for 4 wheel steering functions. Or like you mentioned reverse if you need it on Nitro/gas rigs. Some that have S.Bus servo control program functions you can even use just one channel to program several servos using a S.Bus multiplex cord.

Servos are motors with gears that rotate to control movement from left to right usually 180 degrees. Brakes, throttle(on Nitro and gas rigs)and steering(both electric, Nitro and gas). For some advanced receivers and controllers like the one I have you can program each channel and customize its functions to what you need. For example Ch 3 can be assigned for 2nd steering servo for rear steering for 4 wheel steering functions. Or like you mentioned reverse if you need it on Nitro/gas rigs. Some that have S.Bus servo control program functions you can even use just one channel to program several servos using a S.Bus multiplex cord.
Man thanks, so far I think I am ready ,thanks for the support and if I where to have any more question ( which I will ) I will count on you. Tomorrow is the big test which I hopefully get my first car and that's when all the the learning gets in place. Hopefully everything goes smoothe and we can keep talking about rc .

Make sure you post pics. We'd love to see the new rig. Just take your time with it. Take it easy at first until you find your driving style and driving line. Go slow to medium speeds then as you get used to your driving you'll naturally get faster and faster. If your speed controller allows drag braking I would use this function until you get to a level that you are confident you won't need it.

Last edited:
Make sure you post pics. We'd love to see the new rig. Just take your time with it. Take it easy at first until you find your driving style and driving line. Go sow to medium speeds then as you get used to your driving you'll naturally get faster and faster. If your speed controller allows drag braking I would use this function until you get to a level that you are confident you won't need it.
I will thanks man u the best

Yoooo . First run in my ever first rc was great . The only problem is that the wheels in the front r cricket which when I take it out for a drive it goes to the side

When you say crooked do you mean one wheel is turned more on one side than the other or both wheels turned more towards one side than one side? Depending on how it's lopsided there are certain fixes for the scenarios I listed. Can you take a pic from the top view it will make it easier for us to provide you the correct fix.

Back