Savage xs flux rattling apart

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalded-dog

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got a new xs and have had issues with it since.

1/4 battery pack and the tie rod pops off. Found it put it back on.

Another 1/4 pack and wheel nut flies off never to be found. Got a new nut and locktited the wheels.

Ran about 1/2 a pack and pinion grub screw backed out and pinion slid back. Truck would not move. Disassembled and locktighted screw.

Ran truck for less than a minute and threw grub screw attaching drive cup to tranny. Screw is gone. Ordered a new set of screws and will locktite.

I've never had so much trouble with a brand new kit. I am half venting.. and half wondering if anyone else has had this much trouble with an xs. Total 15 min runtime and 3 breakdowns from screws backing out.

Any tips on how far i should dissasemble and locktite this thing or any parts i should stock up on that are prone to break? My ultimate goal is to get it into shape enought to run it for a full pack before the summer ends.

Simple answer (and this really does go,for anything with an engine and fuel) locktite EVERY metal on metal screw, but and bolt.

Yup i will be locktiting everything down in the time i have to wait for that little screw to show.. grrrrr

That locktite stick looks easier to use on small parts than the liquid.. ill try that thanks!

I admit this is my first new kit. Anything else i have gotten used. Somehow I just assumed new +higher cost +rtr = hpi would have least made sure the screws were tight before they put it in a box. I've seen a few guys pull traxxas stuff out of the box and run it all day.
Wondering if some brands have better cq than others on rtr kits.

That locktite stick looks easier to use on small parts than the liquid.. ill try that thanks!
I love the stick version of loctite. Don't have to worry about drips, spills, or it drying out and you can place it exactly where you want it. Buy one and I'm sure you'll like it!

I admit this is my first new kit. Anything else i have gotten used. Somehow I just assumed new +higher cost +rtr = hpi would have least made sure the screws were tight before they put it in a box.
It's been a mixed bag for me, some RTR's I've gotten from companies have been perfectly fine, while another RTR from the same company might need more attention than the first. It's all a matter of who assembled it before it was boxed.

For me I like taking the time to go through the RC regardless to ensure everything is set correctly (or the way I like it). Plus it's a great way to know more about your RC so when you need to work on things you're more familiar with it.

Checking every screw, gear mesh, etc isn't a requirement for any RTR, but I certainly recommend it.

I carry the blue-stick in my field bag, but I really like the locktite gel. It stays tacky over time and seems to work even better than the stick stuff on the tiny machine screws. I carry the stick in my field back because it's less than half the size of the gel dispenser.

My aftershock was like that. Tons of stuff rattled off that thing. Didn't even make it through a few break-in tanks before the CB went loose, cvd cups spun on the shafts and wheel nuts nearly fell off. I tore that thing down and locktighted everything that was exposed. I didn't crack open the trans though.