Car Starts, but doesn't move

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what you need. It just plugs in to the receiver. Nothing to it. Glad you figured it out.:woohoo:

If you are planning on keeping this car and running it for real, I would look into an upgrade in quality. I am not sure what that might be. I have never worked with anything so small before. It is also possible that there aren't manufactured who make a strong servo for it. (something with metal gears for instance) I would at least do the research before ordering. I just lack faith in a $9 servo. It is based on nothing more than the cheap price so I may be completely off base here.

If you are planning on keeping this car and running it for real, I would look into an upgrade in quality. I am not sure what that might be. I have never worked with anything so small before. It is also possible that there aren't manufactured who make a strong servo for it. (something with metal gears for instance) I would at least do the research before ordering. I just lack faith in a $9 servo. It is based on nothing more than the cheap price so I may be completely off base here.
Yeah.. I dont know what to do.. I have read on some website forums that this car breaks easy because of the quality if you wreck it and stuff.. Idk I kinda want to just forget about this one and maybe buy a traxxas one that is good quality.. Is Traxxas the best kinda brand there is??

My phone is just about dead so I'm gonna need to charge before we get into this...your questions are fair but it is opening Pandora's box here for sure! I will explain all in a lil bit. In the mean time, expect about 400 other answers and all with same but different answers! :hehe:

I started in Nitro RC with a TMaxx 3.3 Awesome truck! I caved in and gave it to my nephew a couple weeks ago because he loves it. For somebody just starting out, Traxxas is great. The electric start is nice and parts support is the best. I have Nitro Stampede that runs fantastic. Personally I enjoy the challenge of running and tinkering with the lower end kits. I have 3 Redcats , 1 Exceed, and 1 HSP . I've been missing my Exceed Blur so I'm probably gonna pick up another one. But that's just me.

Ok... If this was my situation...
First deal with the current kit. As it stands, the car is not worth much at all in a "not running" condition. Selling it now you'll get next to nothing for it. It's $129 new on the 2nd site I checked... May be lower elsewhere... So let's toss the idea of selling it unless you're gonna want to take say $50 or $75 if you're lucky is my guess anyways.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c862-fireyellow-24ghz.html
Is where I found it AND you can d/l the manual for it there!
What you do have is a good learners kit. You can drop the $9 for a servo and you should be running. (That is, unless the company will warrantee it and send you a new one free. It's worth a shot. ) I would get this running and play with it. Figure out what this offers and what makes you happy or sad with it so that your next purchase suits you better.
So moving on to what's next... Do you love nitro? Is that what you want? Lets assume you do because nitro kicks ass! :thumbs-up: :woohoo:
Now, what is best??
PRICE RANGE!!! Very important to be realistic here in order to reach your goals. Unless you are unlimited, you need to choose wisely and figure out What is most important to you.
RTR or KIT?
What is your experience level?
What are you going to be doing with this rig? Are you racing or bashing?
If you are racing, what class and What are the ppl who race (and win) there running?
What scale?
2 or 4 wheel drive?
What type of rig do you want? Buggy, truggy, short course, monster truck or on-road etc...???
Are you going running on the street mainly or back yard, grass, dirt etc...?
Getting into parts for repair or upgrades... Do you order things on line? Is there a hobby shop near you? If there is, what does that shop carry?
There are a LOT of things to consider when buying an RC! There are certainly more questions and the answers will steer the next questions in different directions. With each answer, depending on your needs, you may be considering very different things as well.... What engine and exhaust system? Does the kit have bearings? Do you want to upgrade before you build?
As I said... Pandoras box...
I recommend getting you up and running... Get some time under your belt and the experience from running will help you to answer some of these questions better. You are definitely off to a rocky start BUT you have a good start even if the kit isn't really what you wanted to start with, it is something to learn with. The education is not something that you can read or ask and get the same thing.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you all so much for helping, didn't expect people to be this nice over the internet. Anyways, yeah I think I will just buy the servo and try to get this one running, $9 isnt gonna break the bank. So I will probably do that.. And btw the owners manual for my car thats on that website.. That just shows parts, I can't see anything else.. but thanks for the help guys!

Just bought the servo, so hopefully that is the issue.. Thats the best thing I could see/hear what was wrong.

Last edited:
I think you're prob right about the servo needing replacement. Its obviously difficult to tell online but the sounds of your issues leads me there since you have already checked through everyone else's recommendations to check other possible issues.
Sorry the manual was a letdown! I d/I'd it and it's a sad manual indeed! :hehe:
We have a pretty good group of ppl here and we all like to help out. Getting ppl into RC and particularly into nitro is what this is all about. They can be tough sometimes and tricky to figure out but with a guiding hand and some experience, the fun with nitro is great! Let us know how it works out when you get the servo and can actually take this baby for a blast!

Yeah, I will let you all know how it works when I get here.. I still gotta adjust the needles when I get the servo ( if that was the problem). But once again, thanks everyone for helping!

So I got the servo it fixed my issue, but now I'm lost at how I should tune the needles. I got them back to factory settings, but I just have no idea what to do first and stuff

Ok... So let's start at the very beginning... Before you start it... Make sure that the carb idle gap is set. That should be set at 1mm max. I am not 100% sure that this is accurate but I would say low side at .7mm. After that is set, make sure that your throttle servo and linkage is moving smoothly thru the entire strokemake sure that at neutral, your brake is not engaged and the brake does when it's applied.
Is this a pull start kit???

The guy from where i got the car said 1mm at max and that's what it is at.. Yes it's pullstart

Glad you got your servo and and that worked out for you. I agree with Mike on your idle gap. I've been racking my 57 year old brain and I can't remember the settings on the Blur that I had, but I've had good success going with 2 1/2 turns out from closed on HSN and 2 turns out from closed on LSN. Should be close enough to get you running.

And I agree with @watertrucker. about the initial settings... (isn't it nice when we all get along???) :hehe: prior to the initial start attempt you'll want to prime it. To do this, put your thumb over the stinger on the exhaust pipe stinger and give the starter a few pulls. You should see the fuel getting pushed up thru the fuel hose up to the carb inlet. Once it is primed, put the igniter on the glow plug and you're ready to start pulling to start her up! When you're starting, keep the car stable on the ground and pull quickly. DO NOT PULL THE CORD ALL THE WAY TO ITS END POINT!!! You may need to trim the trottle up A little bit at first to get it to fire and then you can turn it back down. You may want to take A look on YouTube and watch someone do this so you'll understand. The process is not complicated...
A couple things you'll want to do... Make sure that the igniter is 100% fully charged. Usually they come with a slow charger so this may take some time... TAKE THE TIME!!! A semi charged igniter will cause problems and drive you crazy trying to figure out! Also... Make sure your batteries for the radio and receiver are 100% charged and fresh for the same reasons! It would also be a good idea to get familiar with the radio system range. Just have someone watch the car while you walk away cycling the steering and throttle. Until you have a kill switch and throttle return spring on this car, you run a very real risk of having it run away when the signal is lost. That is a HORRIBLE thing to have to deal wirh! Once you know your radio range, operate well within that radius and you'll be ok.
The next thing is the break in process which is NOT OPTIONAL!!! You will shorten the life of the engine or just straight up kill it if you don't do this. Read thru these links a few times and be familiar with them! The last thing I can think of is that you'll want to make sure your fuel is new. Fuel does go bad. It depends on where it is stored... The temps seem to be the major killing factor with time. If it's not fresh it will also make the car run poorly or not at all, again driving you crazy. Fuel isn't terribly expensive. Make sure it's a quality fuel at least 20% with a good oil content and you should be ok. So read thru these links, give your car a shot and let us know how you make out! Good luck!!!

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

These have a good break in procedure listed. Follow them!