Ball joint sponges, gator?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn123c

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows what the sponges that go on the ball joints that keep the dirt out are exactly called and where to buy them..... many thanks

To the best of my limited knowledge, I believe they are called 'Sponges that go on the ball joints that keep the dirt out".

Sorry, that response was due to my limited sense of humor.
Do you have the manual? If not, we need to know the make and model of what you have in order to give you the correct info.

I found him a part numer and name for the associated version of them... Was a whopping $2.00!!! Lol! Hopefully there are other things he can buy to make the shopping costs worthwhile!

It's actually true. Trying to find an actual name for those things was harder than youd think!

I will be expecting some interesting comments when i post a pic of the way i modded and mounted a set (4) of LST shocks on my savageX

I will be expecting some interesting comments when i post a pic of the way i modded and mounted a set (4) of LST shocks on my savageX
I won a kit for that... sadly, still in it's bag. Right when the kit arrived, I went through my spare parts bin so I could make room and to remind myself what I had. Turns out, I have 4 brand new plastic big bore shocks just sitting in their bag waiting for the ones on the truck to die.

Since HPI parts are hard to come by these days... I probably won't install that kit for a long time. Besides, still need $120 worth of LST shocks to use it!

I think these LST shocks came off the flux i bought a couplle years ago as i have no kits to mount them to savage with. I have LST shocks mounted on Orange Crush, but he has FLM hybrid differentials so mounting them on him was easy. here we go.
I had to use ALL the extra roll handle screws i had on hand and had to cut about 1/3 of an inch off them as standard top shock screws were too short And the plastic mount on the top of them gas a slot in them for a nut, but i couldnt find a nut to fit on the whole place. also had to drill the holes in the balls a bit bigger AND grind the heads of the screws a smaller diameter to fit inside the slot made for them.I plan to goto harware store today to buy some longer screws so i can nut them and get them out of that slot and washer the front side so they wont pop off the balls

Traxxas Jato shock springs take the "squishinness" out quite well.

Work or fail, you be the judge!

Attachments

• IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I know when I had my aftershock, I drilled out the top pivot ball and tower for 4mm bolts. I think they used plastic/nylon pivot ball stand offs. On the bottom though, they were captured, so the 3mm bolt worked ok.

You might want to try RC Raven's dual rate springs vs the strange setup you have with the springs around the shaft. I really liked the dual rates on my aftershock. Ran a little heavier oil and it could take a lot of air without smacking the ground too hard, but still was soft enough to not bounce around on rough terrain.

I believe the inner/outer spring setup (not sure if that is the designed use here) But they were refered to as 'battleship springs'.

I know when I had my aftershock, I drilled out the top pivot ball and tower for 4mm bolts. I think they used plastic/nylon pivot ball stand offs. On the bottom though, they were captured, so the 3mm bolt worked ok.

You might want to try RC Raven's dual rate springs vs the strange setup you have with the springs around the shaft. I really liked the dual rates on my aftershock. Ran a little heavier oil and it could take a lot of air without smacking the ground too hard, but still was soft enough to not bounce around on rough terrain.
lol....... I think of it as my "bottom cap retaining spring"
LST shocks are so big, but yet so squishy. maybe i will try mobile1 20/50 in those too. stuff seems to work well in differentials
when it gets nicer, i will test the truck before i haul it around with me during the construction season. i have a feeling they may be just a bit too stiff for everyday use. I can always put the HPI big-bores back on it
i did this withall 4 springs on my orange crush build.that bastards alot heavier being all aluminum

http://www.powerhobby.com/rpm-70181-delrin-pivot-balls-rc10-10t-8.html
I don't know if these would fit the holes for your shocks but this or similar products would help them to pivot smoothly and allow for trimming to fit the hardware etc...
If they work well as they are, you have 'won' IMO!
These Lst shocks have HUGE pivot balls
the bottom ones, The screw actually screws inside the balls

lol....... I think of it as my "bottom cap retaining spring"
LST shocks are so big, but yet so squishy. maybe i will try mobile1 20/50 in those too. stuff seems to work well in differentials
when it gets nicer, i will test the truck before i haul it around with me during the construction season. i have a feeling they may be just a bit too stiff for everyday use. I can always put the HPI big-bores back on it
i did this withall 4 springs on my orange crush build.that bastards alot heavier being all aluminum

These Lst shocks have HUGE pivot balls
the bottom ones, The screw actually screws inside the balls
last couple weeks i have been in the process of parts liquidation. just way too much poop i will never use.
i came across the bag of shocks that originally came on my flux. Those LST shocks had Thick shafts. twice as thick as the stock shafts. Only 2 though, hmmmmmm, wonder what happened to the other 2

Last edited:
Lol! Dog ate em! Are you cleared for the 'buy/sell' section here? Wondering if you've got any good stuff for sale? (if you aren't cleared for the buy sell, don't post it. Its against forum rules)

Lol! Dog ate em! Are you cleared for the 'buy/sell' section here? Wondering if you've got any good stuff for sale? (if you aren't cleared for the buy sell, don't post it. Its against forum rules)
depends what you are looking for.i have so much (mostly savage stuff
I have a strict policy of not selling junk and when it leaves my house, its clean, nothing is broken and its been inspected, serviced
so i seek a fairly high price
BUT i have been known to sacrifice in price to someone i may know and like

Unfortunately, I don't own a savage. (actually, if you ask, my wife says she owns me!)
Lol! I have a Jato, a Revo and an RC10 GT flat blue rtr chassis. I could be interested in parts for all, depending... I also am always interested in kyosho optima and RC10 gold pan, and RC10 B2 parts. Let me know if you've got anything on these lines. I will have to check with him but I also have a friend who was interested in buying a nitro MT RTR. He is just starting out with the MTs and needs another complete kit for his wife and son to run with his Tmaxx. It doesn't need to be all tricked out or be a missile by any means! Low dollar and a lot he can trick out with time. Repair parts available is a must! If he is looking aggressively, I will post in wtb as well.

Wait ,I think that I had some in my shed ,been in there for 10 years!....Aint seen that stuff in over 20 years!...:eek:

Last edited: