Jato 3.3 Tire ideas for off road racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonteLives42

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I'm new to the RC world, but all my friends are deep in the sport. I bought a Jato 3.3, I got it used but for a great deal. I have made many upgrades, most noticeable was the change of gearing. I went with a 19T bell - 58T spur, I have been running the Duramax Six Pack which is normally awesome. Still the other day was extremely dry and the track didn't get any attention before the race, there was a thin layer of dust on the hole thing. I couldn't hook up at and was hoping there was a good tire for these type days/tracks

I like to use chevron tires if there are a lot of rocks and sharp objects. On grass and smoother surfaces I run a set of Talons from Traxxas. They are cheap tires. I just bash.

I don't know if that gearing is taller or shorter than stock... I have no idea what gearing mine has, but with a 2.5R in it, it's nearly uncontrollable on dirt regardless of tire. I did find converting to buggy wheels/tires helped quite a bit in general. Less contact patch puts more weight per square inch on the ground. As a basher, I run 1/8 buggy badlands on the back and 1/8 buggy road rage on the front. Does great in grass and the occasional kiddy park sand trap I blast through. The tires make a pretty cool howling sound when I lock up the brakes on pavement... lol. They also give me a bit more ground clearance for grass running.

2013-0714-JatoExhaustSide-RideHeight.jpg

I don't know if that gearing is taller or shorter than stock... I have no idea what gearing mine has, but with a 2.5R in it, it's nearly uncontrollable on dirt regardless of tire. I did find converting to buggy wheels/tires helped quite a bit in general. Less contact patch puts more weight per square inch on the ground. As a basher, I run 1/8 buggy badlands on the back and 1/8 buggy road rage on the front. Does great in grass and the occasional kiddy park sand trap I blast through. The tires make a pretty cool howling sound when I lock up the brakes on pavement... lol. They also give me a bit more ground clearance for grass running.

2013-0714-JatoExhaustSide-RideHeight.jpg
Hey thanks for the advice. At that time I had already ordered a set of Pro-Line Trenchers. The gearing I use is shorter than stock giving me more of a hole shot. The trenchers I got are bigger than stock putting more surface contact to the ground increasing the diameter also uses up some of that torque. Before I was using the a set of Duratrax Six Pack ST, but I wasn't gripping right. Now It grabs a lot better, and it even steers better and rolls over less. Very Happy

Attachments

• IMG_20160430_202142_730.jpg
    IMG_20160430_202142_730.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 757
Hey thanks for the advice. At that time I had already ordered a set of Pro-Line Trenchers. The gearing I use is shorter than stock giving me more of a hole shot. The trenchers I got are bigger than stock putting more surface contact to the ground increasing the diameter also uses up some of that torque. Before I was using the a set of Duratrax Six Pack ST, but I wasn't gripping right. Now It grabs a lot better, and it even steers better and rolls over less. Very Happy
What rims are you running?

Desperado 2.8, I got them online. The seller said that they pride themself on make wheel and tire combos for any vehicle, which all in all the wheels do fit in the sense the spindle port is the correct size and the wheel dish works peferct, even with my wide front bumper. Still the front wheels where hex hubs, and I couldnt tighten the wheel nut. I did just put the bearings in the wheels and a thick washer on it just to run them when i got them. Still i filled the the hexhub port with epoxy let it set and drilled it to size for the bearing, using an auger bit, Drills flat. Worked alright and is still holding. Sorry to give you the life story but I know that was my concern when I bought them

Back