Fired up old baja.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
Decided to pull out the old KM baja after it been sitting for about 6 months to see if it would fire.
It fired up with in about 5 or 6 pulls ,an stayed running ,atleast I know the carb hasn't dried up.
I will put the receiver back in an give it a good run next w-end.

Heres how it sits.

SANY0001_3.jpg

SANY0002_2.jpg

SANY0003_3.jpg

Here its running.

Love it! That thing looks like a whole lot of fun.

Lol...That's ironic that you say something about it ,because I just ran it up & down the
street last night.
I didn't get no vid ,but I may take it to a local field here soon an get a vid,it needs the snot ran
out of it!...:cool:

Bajas are best when you beat the snot out of them. I have an even older one and enjoy when I actually have the room to beat on it properly.

Going to do a dual ring piston swap in the baja ,I found a piston that has the dual rings in my shed ,in
my weed eater spare parts ben.
It should give me a higher compression ratio an produce more torq!

Heres the original ,it still looks new.
SANY0006_11.jpg

SANY0005_14.jpg

An heres the dual ,It just needs cleaned.

SANY0008_1.jpg

Well ,got the other piston in ,didn't really see a difference ,but then again ,I matted a used piston
in a different used head ,so maybe it needs to break in together after awhile.

Heres the vids ,sorry ,I didn't have no one to shoot it!

Awesome job! Did you notice an improvement in performance? I know it's been a while since you ran it last but hey... I love it!

Sorry ,I've been gone a week out of town on a job!

It runs & idles good ,but haven't noticed any loss of power nor gain any!

I haven't ran it no more since the swap ,so I feel that I need to run it more for
the used piston to wear in to the head.
I still need to get all the parts together on the buggy & air filter on an run it!
THNX...:cool:

Went run it today ,accidenty ran it into a tire of a parked car.
After that ,I had no steering ,so I inspected it an the steering rack was out of
whack an popped out of its slots.
The top bracket bent but wasn't sure how much ,but I look at some of my previous
pics an its suppose to be flat, Its not flat!:eek:

SANY0001_10.jpg

SANY0002_9.jpg

@cbaker65 looks like it's just a little bent. :D haha

Lol...It was bent in a way that it look like it was factory like that ,that's why I had to look at the other
pics!...
It look like I got my work cut out on this one!
It can just be flattened back out an put back on ,or I can fab one up.

I fabbed my own skid plate on my Mgt ,this one should be easier sense its flat.
I got a 3ft x 3ft titanium aircraft aluminum plate that I can use!....:D

It seems like you have the 'fab' thing down pretty good! The GT looks killer and goes like hell! I say fab it up! Build it bigger, stronger, faster....

I finally got it off ,it was a pita an had to slot the screws with a hand grinder to use a flat head screw driver!
I think I will fab a new plate.I have a 1/4 inch aircraft titanium aluminum to make it out of ,an will show pics!

SANY0001_11.jpg

SANY0002_10.jpg

SANY0003_9.jpg

Nice carnage pics! Bet you're glad that it hit a tire than your leg, though. I tore the entire left-side pod out from under mine when I hit a railroad track (yes, the steel piece that the cars ride on). Went to DDM and ordered an aluminum under belly Skidplate and no more problems.

Thinking it could use a lil beefing up anyways... If it made it thru the war, it MIGHT be able to survive you! :hehe: Looking forward to the pics!

Thinking it could use a lil beefing up anyways... If it made it thru the war, it MIGHT be able to survive you! :hehe: Looking forward to the pics!

I use to work at are park district ,the public swimming pool is made out of it ,all of it came from the base back in 1980.
A couple years ago ,we had to upgrade the pump inlet an change the covers to meet the safety codes.

The welders put in new aluminum sheeting an ask them if I can have the piece ,for my rc projects.
It has paint on one side ,but it will clean up nice.

My plan was to get it out today an start mocking it up ,but I got busy on something else.
Now I have to start on a job tomorrow ,maybe I will get it out afterwards...
Always something comes up!...:(

It's the same way everywhere...no one understands the importance of our cause. To make the world a better place thru R.C.!!! Specifically nitro! I still believe eventually, thru a strong national membership, we will be stronger than the NRA. We will have an RC lobby. There will be a track in the center of every city and town, protected like national parks and monuments. Built and maintained by the state's and corner marshalled by the military! We will have legally protected times to maintain and race under the handicapped laws and regulation currently in place (so despite our 'issues' our jobs, homes and our dignity will be protected)! UNITE my brothers and sisters!!! Our time is NOW!!!
Well, it's either that or you'll have to cut in to your after work tv time. :hehe:

Back