Y'all be careful with bored cops - dude got kicked out for playing with "toys" got kicked out of public boat launch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cop was wrong, but your attitude was way over the top. You got what you deserved.

Not to mention you're not supposed to run rc boats in the vicinity of real boats (A boat dock) and or, where people will be in the water (people do get in the water near boat ramps).

Those people were at fault as they shouldn't have been running the boats there. And those are the people as to why we are running out of places to run these little water missals.

I call them idiots.

That's just as bad as rc car people who run cars on the street or in parking lots of open businesses.

I call them idiots.
he's in the wrong, if the boat losses reception and hits a swimming person or one of those real boats. or if he doesn't see a person swimming and the boat at 35mph hits the person in the head, the person could drown.

Straight idiot! PPL make me sick.

Last edited:
This is actually the correct answer.

Playing with your toys in an area where 1:1 rigs (especially if they pay for that privilege in form of a permit) are trying to back in and launch is not only silly, but dangerous.

Also, around here, the U.S. Forest Circus can and will write you a ticket for running scale rigs and crawlers anywhere there is a no motorized vehicle sign. Pedantic, yes, but legal, also yes.

The key takeaway should be; find a nice safe out-of-the-way spot to play with your RCs.
Just wanted to clarify something. Signs and regulations prohibiting motorized vehicles do not apply to RC. By law, in order to be classified as a vehicle, the object must be carrying passengers. Therefor, motorized vehicle restrictions do not apply to rc cars.

I had a cop at a local park write me a ticket for operating a motorized vehicle on park grounds and I went to court. They dropped it because of the legal definition of a vehicle. The restriction must specifically name RC. This occurred in Missouri. Laws in other states may be different.

This was just a bad cop that didn't have a good childhood. Granted, they could have launched the boat elsewhere and that would have been better, but that cop was a bit of a d##k. He could have been like "hey guys, would you mind running your boat somewhere away from the boat ramp?" and this would have gone so much smoother. It's cops like this that give cops a bad name. There is no need to be rude to someone just trying to have fun just because you have a badge.

Just wanted to clarify something. Signs and regulations prohibiting motorized vehicles do not apply to RC. By law, in order to be classified as a vehicle, the object must be carrying passengers. Therefor, motorized vehicle restrictions do not apply to rc cars.

I had a cop at a local park write me a ticket for operating a motorized vehicle on park grounds and I went to court. They dropped it because of the legal definition of a vehicle. The restriction must specifically name RC. This occurred in Missouri. Laws in other states may be different.
Meanwhile, you lost a day of work, the pay for that day of work, any hours you spent looking up the laws, possibly money for an attorney, etc. At the end of the day, it's not worth the hassle to me. For those with more free time and money, have at it.

Back