Windows 10 released, hows your experience?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually running 2 external drives. One HP drive for music, pics, word docs and other files, and the other one is a solid state HD for scheduled computer backups.

Question though. Do you backup system files, games, and other software as well?

I do not. My setup consists of using a Synology DS412+ as my central location for all my files. I create a network share folder called profile on the Synology and change the default Windows location of my "My Documents", "Videos" and "Pictures" folders. I don't play much games but the one or two I still do play keep their saved files in my My Documents (which as mentioned above is going to my Synology).

In addition I also install a program called CloudStation, which is similar to DropBox but is ran from my Synology so I control the data and don't have to give up my files to some company. It's all stored on my Synology. This allows me to keep files I want across all my devices like on my phone, laptop and tablet all synced together. Another nice feature I really love about my Synology is that I can then install an app called PhotoStation on my Synology and cell phones, which then automagically uploads all of my pictures I take on my phone and uploads them to my Synology... my phone gets lost, stolen or broken? No problem, all my photos are saved on my Synology.

On the Synology, from there I install CrashPlan which I have setup to backup everyone on my Synology to CrashPlan. This allows me to keep all my files in an easy to manage central location, offering a RAID-10 protection, which is backed up using the single computer unlimited account. Otherwise I would need to use CrashPlan on all my computers and laptops which costs more.

All that said, if someone is looking for a easy to use, simple to setup, and a set it and forget it configuration then I'd recommend installing CrashPlan directly on your computer and have it backup your entire hard drive. Since you get unlimited storage, why not? It's also much easier for most users to do this as they may or may not know where everything is actually stored on the computer so if they protect the entire thing, most of it will be un-needed but you're certain to get everything backed up.

So I downloaded crashplan..... And I ended up with a Trojan. After an hour of being unable to remove it from my computer, I did a system restore to the point before I installed the crashplan software. Now it's fine. I scanned the installation package, but nothing comes up while it's packed. I emailed Code42 about it. Not sure what to think of it....

crashplan is working great so far for me took a little while on the family PC but the laptops where quick and easy. Now once I installed Windows 10 on the family computer my Kaspersky icons disappeared so I reloaded them and then the program still wouldn't work so I had to do a complete un install and re install, all is well now.

@alien13 what are you using to scan the file with that reported a trojan? Did you download directly from Crashplans website or some download site? I'm interested in what Code42 replies as I've never heard of this before and I use it myself as well as on other clients PC's.

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. It hasn't failed me yet. It doesn't report the trojan with the file packed in it's download form, but as soon as I install it the the trojan is identified. I was surprised by it as well, since I downloaded it directly from Code42's website. After work today I'm going to download it again and try it, hopefully with a better result.

None of my virus programs picked up anything on it when I downloaded it from code 42.

After I had someone come in and get it straighten out so far so goo I guess.

W10 is fine so far, after shutting off the 10 or 15 things that track what I do and installing classicshell to get a W7 type start menu back. I've forcefully updated all 3 of my home computers. We have started storing crap we care about in google docs. Photo's and whatnot. When I put SSD's in all my home PC's, I started mirroring the C drive once a month on all 3 to a standard HDD in case the SSD craps out. For my media servers music/video drive, I keep the drives synced with external hard drives so I have a copy of both. The hours I spent ripping/encoding those videos warranted buying matching external drives and keeping them in sync in case of drive failure. 300+ DVD/BluRays, 3T so far on 6T drives. Sooooo many hours...

I've spent hours turning off what I don't want and turning back on what I do want. Resetting my default programs and trying to figure out why certain things keep wierding out on me has been time intensive.
I don't see an improvement so I haven't upgraded my laptop yet.
How did you get the classic shell?

It's a program that kind of lets you do what you want with your desktop be it W7, W8.1 or W10.
http://www.classicshell.net/

Also allows you to adjust Windows Explorer and some things in IE. Didn't notice anything for Edge, but I won't be using that regardless as I use FF for my browser.

Still waiting on Win10 to be "Ready" for my laptop. Is there a link where I can just go update without waiting for MS to tell me when I'm ready?

On the CrashPlan issue. I re-downloaded it, and re-installed with no issues. Code42's reply was that either I downloaded their software from a 3rd party (which I didn't) or I got the Trojan elsewhere, though it's a hell of a coincidence that I didn't have it until I downloaded their software, it's only activated after I installed their software, and when I rolled my pc back to right before I installed their software it was gone.....

In any case, I'm 4.4 months from being backed up at 1.5Mbps

Yes. That's what I did on 3 of the 4 I updated. Only one was "ready" on it's own and one of them failed repeatedly on it's own via windows update.

Go here, download the media creation tool and it will ask if you want to update the current pc:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I created the media via USB, then had issues and had to resize the system partition and then I just downloaded/updated directly on that machine and did the same on the others.

On my laptop that's How I did it, @olds97_lss. It was relatively painless on the Hybrid drive that I had in it. This weekend I'm thinking of trying the upgrade on the bedroom Media Center PC with the new SSD.

I haven't gotten the window in my toolbar yet as I'm probably way down the line. Beta testers got the first shot at it.
There isn't a lot to save really on this thing as my pictures and videos already go to Photobucket, Picasa 3 and Google+. I also have just about everything burned onto CD's and memory sticks.
My main browser is already updated for 10. Although as much as I hate Windows 8, I'll probably keep it on the back burner for now. I miss Windows XP Pro. Being a self-taught computer owner, I like as easy as possible.

Can someone please tell me how to STOP Narrator from starting every time I boot up?
Wrong. I've already turned it off in System.

I don't really think I like this Windows 10 I have has trouble with it already.

It annoys me in so many ways.
As much as I do, your AWESOMENESS???? Installing Windows 10 Pro as an upgrade on the bedroom Media PC today.

UPDATE: Updated it with no problems. It just had to update the nVidia drivers and it was set. I copied the upgrade files from my bootable USB drive to the SSD. It took about 30 minutes to complete the upgrade plus another 10 to download and update the driver.

Last edited:
Back