WI-fi question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I currently have a D-link DIR-645 wireless router which has been a decent router for my original purpose. I have now aquired 3 smart tvs and 2 smart blu ray players, I have ran 2 ethernet cables to my den set up of one smart tv and blu ray player. My problem lies when I want to use the smart features in my bedroom on the other end of the house it gets glitchy as in the movies stop playing and have to load up again basically buffering.

Do I need a stonger router and if so suggesstions would be nice LOL. Could I just buy some sort of extender to get the signal out, when I use the smart tv in my kitchen which is about halfway between the router and the bedroom it will show full bars but sometimes I still have the same problem with that tv.

Buffering sounds like internet speed. What kind of internet access and speed do you have going to the house? How many devices are connected to your wi-fi? Phones, TV's, computers, laptops, tablets, blurays, etc..

Coming into the house I have whatever charter offers, when I do a speed check through VUDU it says I have 10+ mbps but that is the blu ray player hardwired to the WIFI router. Perhaps I should check through some of my wireless stuff and see what they say I have. When watching the smart TVs I usually have nothing else hooked up to the WIFI but of all the equipment I own we have 2 smartphones and 2 nooks along with 1 laptop that run on WIFI.

So I ran the charter internet speed test and it rings out a 35.77 MBPS download speed which I just ran on my laptop through the WIFI, the only other things on the WIFI right now are 2 nooks and the 2 smartphones

I use a dlink extender to go about 150ft from my router and it works great. Stream Netflix on it no problem.

35mbs should be enough speed. The next thing I'd check would be the signal strength of the smart TV that's connected via wireless.

The other TV and player isn't an issue since they are hardwired - that said it wouldn't hurt to make sure they are in fact connecting via wire and not also trying to connect via wireless as well.

Thanks woodie they are only working off of the wire I was having problems with the wifi on that TV and blu ray player when I first got them they where glitchy sometimes and the TV wasn't able to use the smart features. That is when I wired them in and turned off the WIFI on both of them I am leaning towards a router issue either it is not strong enough or I am getting interference maybe

How far is the router from this TV that keep buffering. There should be a signal strength indicator on the TV as well, you might just not be getting very good speeds from the router do to it's strength.

one is about 50 ft and it shows a full signal strength the other is about 100 ft and it doesn't show full bars so I would expect glitchy on that one. The 50ft one is the one that has my curious it shows full wifi strength but is still glitchy. I will start looking for a new router and some extenders for it.

It could definitely be the router. If you need to extend the signal, you can get either wireless repeaters, or, if you get a set of compatible routers you can turn one into a 'base' and the other into a repeater. This will extend the signal, the only downfall is if you lose one you p/c may not automatically connect to the next.

I had to do this for my house, but being a technician, I had a pile of routers and managed to make it work...
TWC Router ----> Belkin 56g >> << Netgear

Let the ----> be my ethernet and >><< wireless. My TWC router did not have repeater capabilities but my Belkin and Netgear did. So I plugged the belkin into the TWC router with a 50ft cable to cover the main areas of the house, and the netgear talks to the Belkin wirelessly and sits right next to my pc providing internet to half a dozen devices.

If you get two of the same router (and it has repeater capabilities), it is a piece of cake to set them up to talk wirelessly. One becomes the base and another the repeater, set up mac addresses, sync encryption codes if you use WEP/WPA, and done!

I have read online that if you get the right combination of routers and give them all the same mac address, turn of dhcp on all but one, and sync the encryption, that your computer will automatically connect when passing from one router to another....but that is a little more extensive..

As far as speed tests, there is speedtest.net which can help with internet speed. As far as gaining information from your router, you can do it with any web browser by typing in the local address (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1). If you access the routers control panel you may be able to find information regarding it's capabilities, and some will even show current statistics...