Why droop?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8z2luze

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I guess I just dont get it. Why would you want to run droop? I guess its a lower COG but dont you high center on EVERYTHING? I get stuck on stuff with my axial and its only a little lower than stock. I couldnt imagine running 2 inches off the ground.

i love droop, agian its a personal preference type of thing....run droop and then just get really good at not getting high centered or run sprung and just get really good at not tipping over...id rather high center cuz you can usually throttle bump it and get over it, when you roll, you roll and if you dont land back on your tires then you have to pick it up and i HATE having to touch my rig ever while I'm crawling.

I don't care for droop, a good sprung rig setup correctly will out do a droop rig.

I guess I just dont get it. Why would you want to run droop? I guess its a lower COG but dont you high center on EVERYTHING? I get stuck on stuff with my axial and its only a little lower than stock. I couldnt imagine running 2 inches off the ground.

I couldn't help but wonder if you were having personal problems, Brandon, but then I clicked on the thread...

See ya!

I don't care for droop, a good sprung rig setup correctly will out do a droop rig.

x2. I ran my Axial full droop and it was really hard to drive and wouldn't climb even simple stuff. Went over to soft outer springs and it improved 100 fold. I recently went over to Losi crawler shocks and it's even better.

I guess it's what suits your style but for me droop just flat out sucked.

I don't get semi-droop either. Surely just a sprung setup with the right (non)stiffness of spring is as good as a semi-setup?

For a reference, my Axial is running at about 2 3/4" ride height on Losi crawler shocks on a Hot Racing XM chassis, and it sidehills like a champ and articulates like it's glued to the rocks. Part of that is down to the overall setup, part of it is the shocks.

Personally, I'm with Chip. I don't see the point.

not trying to argue at all but i think it is what ever you prefer. there is benefits to all three setups and it comes down to what you drive better with....as much as i loved droop I'm actually back to sprung on the stock chassis.

Yeh don't be afraid to try it, it might suit you. I was just passing on my experience.

Like stated above, there are advantages to both. It's all about how you setup your rig. For instance, I might build a crawler with droop suspension that still has more ground clearance than someone else's rig with a traditional sprung setup. It also depends on the terrain that your running and your driving style. I've run droop, semi, and sprung. Personally, I like a well dialed in sprung setup the best. With the right shocks and mods I can still get a low COG, and have my rig handle better with my driving style on the terrain that we crawl on. Here in the Ark-La-Miss territory that I've crawled on so far, most of my crawling takes place on artificial rocks brought in for erosion. Because of this, there are lots of gaps and peaks, and its basically tons of smaller rocks dumped alongside a river, etc...

But someone in other parts of the country like the midwest, Colorado, etc.., might be crawling on large, smooth sandstone slabs that are very technical and require a completely different setup. Besides driving style, chassis and suspension setup play a big role, as well as the shocks you run, springs, length of rod ends on the shocks, etc... You can achieve the same low COG or belly clearance with a short sprung shock as you can with a semi droop long shock, etc...

The type of rig also comes into play. A berg can have twice the belly clearance of an Axial with a lower COG, and vice versa.

The biggest thing that I can reccomend it to crawl crawl crawl with your rig in stock configuration so you know it backwards and forwards with your eyes closed, and then start making adjustments. As we're all wanting to start modifying a rig as soon we get it, you will not know how the changes are truly affecting the rig unless you get to know it first in stock form so you have a constant in your mind at all times.

Back