Which Lipo batteries for RC18T?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared1970

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought an RC18T off of a member here that is already setup with the Mamba 8000kv and ESC. He wasn't running Lipos, but I've already decided I'm going straight to Lipo batteries before I even bother with what is coming with it. What would be the best Lipo battery I could use in this car? Being a 1/18 scale, I suppose the size of the battery tray in the car is going to limit my choices. Money is not a huge deal, none of the batteries I have seen are outside of my price range. I want the best performance and runtime I can get that will fit in the car.

Your deal came with the castle link programmer right?

I HIGHLY reccomend the maxamps.com batteries. I have 5 or 6 of them, and they've all been great. I also bought a Hyperion charger and I love it as well, they have them on their site. Everyime I buy something from maxamps.com, they send me a hand written thank you card with some decals and stuff. And if I buy a bumper sticker, they send me 6 or 8 of them. Small things like that go a long way. And once I had a problem and I thought there was something wrong with a battery, turned out it was a bad connection on my part. I emailed them that morning, and got a response a few minutes later. They ended up sending me 6 emails in one day trying to get the problem solved, and they already had a new battery packed up and ready to ship if I needed it. I buy ALL my LiPo stuff from them.

Which plugs do I need?

Deans female.

Last edited:
Yeap, I always unplug my LiPo batteries after running them, and then I cycle and charge them before putting them up. I have one of those RC calendars with the hot chicks posing with RC's (also highly reccomend it) and I use it just for my batteries. I have each LiPo assigned a different number, and after using them I charge them and mark it on the calendar. Every few weeks I check the batteries (more often for small batteries) and I cycle them ever 3 to 4 weeks and recharge them. I thought it all sounded so complicated, and then I got LiPo and discovered that if you just follow the guidelines they are super easy to take care of and fairly safe, as long as you don't misuse them drastically.

Charlie, check out the lipo in mine, it does need a bit of chassis balancing though. Its a 3s @ 2200. Personally I will be going back to a 2s, much more controllable.

That looks a little heavy on the one side. It would work okay for an oval track car that was only going to turn left. :)

Boogity Boogity! Yeah she turns left just great. Turning right gets people talking.....

As far as the charger, I was looking at the Hyperion EOS0403i Lipo Balance Charger ( http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0403i.htm ). Would this be a good charger for my application? This is my first electric, so the higher end models have a lot of features I don't understand. This one seems pretty basic and reasonably priced.

Anybody have advice on the charger?

I'm sure that one would work fine, looks like the one that Charlie has I think? I believe his is ac/dc. It costs a little more, just keep in mind with that charger you linked to you will need an inverter to use indoors on ac current.

Here's what I use, its for 2-3s LiPo, and I have a Astro Blinky balancer and a thunder power adapter for my other batteries. Some will say you don't need a balancer on a 2s LiPo, but I strongly recommend you use one anyway. Looks like that will equal out to the same cost anyway. I say go for it, I've heard nothing but good things about hyperion.

The cons with this one that I use are that it's loud. The alerts are loud, the fan is loud, and it does not have a display at all. It does charge perfectly, shuts off when it should, and functions flawlessly. Its just loud. A voltage display would be ideal on a charger, I'm not sure what's out there but I use my voltmeter a lot because my charger does not display current voltage.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=DYN4060&utm_source=froogle

When I purchased my Mamba setup, Castle wasn't recommending anything more than a 2s lipo for the 8000kv motor due to heat problems. Has something changed in the past year?

Last edited:
Back